Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Backdating 930 fenders

I'm faced with backdating some 930 front fenders currently on a '72 911T. I've contacted Dave at TRE, as well as Damon at Series 900 and Mark at EB Motorsport in England about backdate lightboxes for use with the flares. Nothing there in steel, composite is available from EB Motorsports for about $900 on a special order basis.

Other than take the TRE steel parts and fabricate a flared fender extension, are there any steel lightbox (parking light) conversion parts being made?

The idea of bolting on the composite parts without having to weld or repaint the fenders is appealing (current paint is great), and I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking they are original ST fenders. I've seen the EB Motorsports parts on narrow fenders and they look pretty good if you can live with the parting line.

Steve
Old 10-19-2016, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bump
Old 10-27-2016, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've been researching the same thing for my 72 with 930 fenders. I'm gonna go the route of steel and fabricate the fender extensions, more work but it will be better in the long run. Looking for used or I'll buy the TRE boxes to fab
Old 10-28-2016, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bump
Old 11-11-2016, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Still looking.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm thinking of buying these and then fabricating the flare section to match my fenders

(New) 911/912 Front Right Repair Frame for Turn Signal - 1968-95 | Aase Sales Porsche Parts Center
Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
How much did TRE want for their parts for fender extensions?
Old 12-11-2016, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Backdating 930 fenders

I am in the process of doing a backdate on a 87 coupe which already had a wide body conversion. I was never able to locate a light support for a wide body and so i am fabricating the flare section to the light support. As stated above it looks better. sounds like i should make a few extras and post a thread selling them
Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If you make up sets for the 930 flares let me know, I'm tackling mine this winter and that would make it easier
Old 12-22-2016, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I will be making a few sets of the flare extension. I will PM when they are finished.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

PM sent. Thanks.

Steve
Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Any further efforts out there to use 930 fenders on backdates?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hey guys, you may be better off posting this question in the main forum. Several back date fender threads over there. Including several fabrication threads. Most of what you will see here is rust repair/prevention, fillers, paint, etc.

Good luck and post pics of your progress.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I might be misremembering, but I thought this guys was making composite front fender light boxes:

Series 900
Old 03-10-2017, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH77 View Post
I might be misremembering, but I thought this guys was making composite front fender light boxes:

Series 900
I spoke with them last year. Damon did develope steel light boxes and separate f/g fender extensions but never fully marketed the steel boxes since TRE "copied" them first. He might have some of the f/g extensions stored away, but I never followed up with him.

Steve
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

For a backdated widebody 930 fender, you either weld steel boxes onto 930 fenders, or weld two 930 flares to a longhood fender per side.

It's a bit of a bummer, but I've found no alternative.

Getty sells a "911 RSR fender" in fiberglass and carbon fiber:

Doors, Fenders, Hoods, Decklids | Getty Design LLC

They are top in terms of quality, but I'm not sure the flare profile is 930, and fiberglass always takes work, so I'm not sure how far ahead you would come out over steel. The weight savings would be in the front, which is suboptimal.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Occasional User

It might be worth while finding an old school guy with an English wheel and some metal shaping skills. My 89 car had the battery leak / suspension pan corrosion and the mechanic who was doing the safety to get it street legal said I had to fix it - I knew it would have to be done at some point. He said he knew a guy. When I met the guy I said I would order the suspension pan replacement parts from Restoration design or Porsche - he said he didn't need the parts, he would fabricate them. I was a little speechless, but the guy was highly recommended by my mechanic. Anyway, I get the car back, and it is perfect. matched the paint, the schutz, seam sealer, everything. He doesn't advertise, just word of mouth, and he is busy. I suspect 962Porsche is the same way. Just picks his projects - things that interest him. Anyway, based on the suspension pan repair, I asked my guy if he would repaint the entire car this winter. He likes Porsches. After the suspension repair, I asked him to test drive it for a couple of days, which I think he enjoyed. Maybe you can find that guy near you.
2009 Cayman S White, Full Cocoa - sold
1972 911E Silver Coupe, Pepita & Black - sold

Last edited by Cook&Dunning; 05-31-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Old 05-31-2017, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: