Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Paint problems on a new paint job

Hi,

I have a 72 911 that was stripped to bare metal, the rust repaired by replacing the metal and resprayed. The body shop is very reputable and does high end work. After the car was painted it was at the mechanic for 3 years while they worked on the motor and trans.

When I got the car back recently, I noticed some lines on the paint and some raised bubble spots, some are soft and can be pressed flat and others hard, which I assume is rust underneath. I also noticed the weld lines in one spot, where the fender flares were attached.

I am curious if the car being stored outside through all the cold and hot cycles could have caused this or made it happen a lot sooner. The cars dash is warped and the new Porsche emblem is very faded so I know this car was outside a lot.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry to hear... I would hope that would not occur, especially in a car stored in doors...

I look forward to other folks input.

I have painted some of my cars where they had rust spots. Did everything by the book:

1) Sand blasted the spot until it was crystal clear
2) Metal pre-wash
3) Cleaned with pre-prep
4) 2 coats epoxy primer
5) 2 coats paint

Within a year it was bubbling up. I just don't understand it at all...

In the past, tried the metal converter and then painted. Same thing happened.

Yet, on some other spots I just slathered on rustoleum, and it was fine 5 years later.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My car was stored outside, just not sure how much. The warping of the dash and the fading of the porsche hood crest is a good indication, it was fo a while. I had to re glue the front trunk rubber seal and when I pulled it up to clean and prep for glueing, it was loaded with brown composted leaves, etc. This would not happen on a car stored inside. :-(
Old 11-04-2016, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
non-whiner

Three years? Ridiculous.

Why didn't they keep the motor/tranny and you keep the car?
Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Occasional User

Damn: Sorry to hear this. Did you have any agreement with the mechanic for storage of the car? I would not want to take my car somewhere where they could not store inside at all times - for security and weather - of course I am in a cold climate winter/ humid climate summer. My 72 was a rusty POS from it's life here in Toronto. It sounds like you are saying the paint shop did a good job, the mechanic messed it up.
2009 Cayman S White, Full Cocoa - sold
1972 911E Silver Coupe, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am pretty annoyed. I never anticipated the car would have been there that long and I suppose I was being too nice. The mechanic does a great job, I have other cars to drive so I never pushed him that hard. Shame on me.

This damage would never have happened to a new car subject to these conditions, but is an old car repaint more susceptible to changing elements and weather conditions or did the painter do something wrong?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

you do understand it's not new paint it's 3 years old and been beat to hell being out side .
new or repainted you shouldn't do that to any car .

THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU BUT A GENERIC PROBLEM WITH SHOP OWNERS LIKE MY SELF .

how we end up with cars sitting at our shops .
many times it's because of money the car owner will get into a car to deep once the resto gets started . they have spent more then the cars worth or they run out of money .
as a shop owner we pay for the square footage of a building so every part of the build has to make us money . a car sitting into if your not paying a inside storage charge your car will not be sitting inside . it will be pushed out . even the outside there could be a storage charge for as that space too we pay something for .
as a shop owner are we going to push your car in and out every day .. day after day for years ? hell no !
so be thankful you have no storage charge at all for a car that just sits .

being nice has no bearing at all on any thing ! you can be very nice and both parties should be but nice and simple business are not one in the same as you should be both .

letting a car sit is not nice it's not nice for the shop and it's not nice for the car owner . the shop wants to take in money and the person should want there car no matter how many cars they have .

what i have had to do in the past is tell the customer you need to get your bill up to date by our contract of a work stoppage will be placed on your car and then 3 days the car will be put out side . this tends to get a customer to get paid back up to date so we the shop owners can keep working on there car. taking in money so we can pay our bills !

should you have to push a shop to work on your car?
HELL NO !
a shop shouldn't take on a job they can not do in a timely manner .
why aren't they about to do it in a timely manner ? is it because of knowledge of the job ? is it because it's in need of rear and hard to find parts or is it because of the lack of funds from the customer ? again it comes down to money a shop will do the higher paying jobs over any thing else . for some reason is sitting at a shop ?????
if it's just because the shop owner is a lazy ass and takes in way to much work for a shop like that to handle then the customer has to be smart enough to just pull the car out and find another shop .

if a car is sitting because the shop owner is a lazy POS it's still the car owners fault for letting a car sit for years on end .
if a customer stops in to the shop were his car has been for a long time every 6 months or so then this too is the customers fault . what's the saying the squeaky wheel gets the grease . not stoping in anly tells the shop owner you could care less about your car .
Old 11-05-2016, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wow 962! tough week? I would be happy to come up to see you and buy you a beer to help take the edge off. I could use it as well.

I am a business owner and fully aware of everything you stated. I have been around the block a few times myself. The one thing I was hoping to get from you was your expertise on paint, which you did not provide.

I own a few new cars that never see a garage through all 4 seasons and I only wax them once a year. They do not have any paint issues.

Does an older car with a quality repaint not hold up as well as new paint on a modern car if subjected to bad weather or was my paint job sub-par?

Please help clarify this for me.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2016, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

that was not about you as i stated it wasn't !

but no car new or old should sit for 3 years out side and not be driven .
sitting outside is the worst thing for any car new or old .

i could list a 100 would have should have and could haves but they can't fix a thing .

from the sound of it it's not the paint job failing but the body work under it .
why is it ?
no one can say until the areas get sanded down to see . is it some coming up from under the primered area ? under areas were there is body filler ?

i'm pretty sure the body shop is not going to redo the car again from free .
the shop the car was sitting at my guess is they will also not take responsibility .
so it puts it right back on you .

if it was my car just sitting out day after day it would only take a day or two before me the car owner would either talk to the shop owner to see what he is looking for the get his ass in gear to get the car done or pull the job or just get the car towed back to my own garage .
you could have bought a good outdoor car cover and covered the car at the shop .

all i'm seeing is so many other options that were never done with all parties .
i feel bad for you ( i really do !)
but you the car owner just let the car go to hell .

personally as a shop owner i would not let a car sit for that long for any reason .
this is what i'm not getting with this ??????????

you stated you took the car to a reputable shop .
a shops reputation is from the workers in the shop not the guy at the desk you talk to .
there is allot to know about body and paint there are allot of panel changers and sprayers out there ( in fact most are only that ) but to get a body / metal man and painter is another matter .
there are very few of them .
it's not just years a person has been doing this crap it's learning about every part of it .
you could have gotten a bad tech doing the body work or a bad paint tech ?
it could be from them not keeping to one paint line from start to finish ?
it could be the tech didn't use the proper primer ?
the list of what it could be is to long to keep going .

i'm a car lover.. all a car has to keep them going for many years is it's owner .
we are not talking about some run of the mill POS dime a dozen daily driven car but a 1970 911 .
shame on you for doing this to your car !
that poor 911 sitting for that long with no one caring for it . a single tear runs down my cheek .
Old 11-05-2016, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
petercory

Garage
I agree with 962 Porsche, I can't really understand why anyone would leave a freshly repainted/restored car sitting outdoors, uncovered, for even 3 weeks while the engine & trans were being serviced; 3 years is absurd. I would have borrowed a trailer or called a flat bed once the engine & trans were removed and taken it to my home garage or an enclosed storage garage and then brought the car back to the shop once the engine and trans were ready to be re-installed.

You didn't mention if there was an interior in the car; if so I'd be surprised if it hasn't attracted a bit of mold. The undercarriage/suspension probably didn't fare much better.

Unfortunately, this has probably been a pretty expensive lesson..

Last edited by petercory; 11-08-2016 at 06:25 PM..
Old 11-08-2016, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: