Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
dkbautosports.com

the u-pol is used simply because it's tintable .
could you do the same to other chipguards ? well yes some are tintable .
the SKS is a product of u-pol as most know wurth doesn't make any products they are nothing more then middle men selling others products with the wurth name on them .
if you buy the wurth chassis black you really just bought SEM's black rust shield . again wurht are not manufactures they are middle men .
porsche ,bmw benz do not use wurth as there supplier .

the old chip guard that was on your porsche until the middle 1980's or so was 3M .
3m stopped making the chip guard we all loved because of VOC rules .
it was a solvent based product with some of the other components also in the product not being able to meet the new at the time VOC rules .
one of them being the component that made the old 3M as elastic feeling to us .
for the good or bad the new chip guards are not as elastic feeling as the old 3M . does the new chip guards on the market do as good as a job as the old 3M does ? yes !

from a insider i know at U-pol they had a 5 year deal with wurth to supply them with the chip guard . as i'm sure most know i retired a few years ago now and i do not keep up with what is going on in the body business as i did when i was running my shop .

as far as i know the wurth SKS is still supplied by u-pol but u-pol also has cut some of there chip guard products out of there lineup . u-pol offers or offered two types of chip guard a tintable and a non tintable chip guard the SKS is a none tintable chip guard .
my friend told me a few years ago they were going to discontinue the non tintable chip guard .
i don't know if they have yet or are still thinking of doing so ??????

the thing is not who is supplying porsche now with there stone guard but how to match the old 3M that was on the car to begin with .
so far the tinted u-pol seams to be the best match as you can tint it to match the color .

i hear all the time that this or that is better and is a good match . but when i used to try them they were not a good match or you couldn't tint them to match .
we came across the u-pol and we tinted it and it matched in texture and we got the color dead nuts .
personally i will keep using it until some one comes up with a product out of the can that is a match in color and texture and elasticity to the old 3M that was used .

matching the newer porsche chassis color is not a problem as they are not the same color as the old 3M used to be .

because wurth is a german CO. some how people think they have or must supply porsche bmw and benz . NO the big auto markers do not go to a middle man co. to get there products . wurth claims they are a match to the OE users chip guard . but they are not wurth only offers black ! and none of the auto makers use black for there chip guard .
Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
So here is the end result. I did also end up tinting some Glasurit 22 to match the undercoat. The Upol when dried is harder and less rubbery than the OEM product. It also seems to porous I guess is the best term. When spraying a top coat Limco Supreme Plus in the inner front of the tub where I filled in the dealer installed AC unit, I noticed the top coat had little pin holes. So I decided I need to seal this before top coating. If this product is in fact "porous" I thought it best to also seal to prevent possible water intrusion. So here it is. I will post some pics with top coat later on.

i don't know about others but i think you hit it dead on with the color and look of the oe chip guard !
Old 03-17-2017, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the compliment 962. I am very happy with the color and texture. My only complaint if you want to call it that is, the Upol doesn't have the same pliability and is porous I guess is the best description.

The original product is very rubbery and has some give or spring. The Upol is hard. The original product at least from my experience from my car skimmed over as it cured similar to how paint dries and seemed to create an impervious layer. The Upol seems to be porous as I said. When top coating the U[pol sort of absorbed the top coat. To combat that I had some 22line tinted to match the my Upol and top coated to create a sealer coat before top coating.

In the end I achieved what I set out to do. Reasonably recreate the original product. Several have seen what I did in person and have commented that is the closest they have ever seen to the original product.

Thanks again.

DRC
Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Just wanted to say i think it looks really good,congrats on the out come..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Thank you for the compliment Kevin930t
Old 03-18-2017, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
very nice drcoatline great job
Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47silver View Post
very nice drcoatline great job
Thank you 47silver
Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: