Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My new favorite toy

My biggest pet peeve in life is cleaning up after myself. I love doing things but I hate cleaning up. I hate cleaning up so much it causes procrastination. When working around the house I time projects based on the cleaning ladies schedules so I don't have to clean up when I am finished making a mess. I know it's bad but it is what it is. It goes back to when I was a kid. If I was painting a model I would throw the paint brush away rather than clean it.

That same mentality unfortunately follows me with my car projects and causes me to put things off. I have had a few small paint projects to do but have literally put them off for years rather than mask off for over spray, cover my tool boxes and worst of all clean the paint gun.

Last week when I was at the local paint jobber looking into tint for the Upol Gravatex in my other thread "Shutz color match" They had a 3M Accuspray paint gun display. Disposable atomizing tips, cups, lids, etc. The sales people claimed the professionals were switching to them. Professional paint jobs, simple operation, low to no over spray and wait for it......

Clean up was from a few seconds to a few minutes.

The key is everything that comes in contact with paint is disposable. The liners are disposable as are the cup lids with built in filters. The atomizing heads can be cleaned with about an ounce of solvent. They are see through so you can see when they are clean, or at $5.00 each just throw them away. New tip equals new gun.

A starter kit was $170.00. One gun, one regulator, 1 atomizing tip of each size, one cup, five liners and five lids. So I bought one to try.

Holly crap this thing is great. It took all of a minute to set up the spray pattern. Snap on the proper tip, connect the hose, Pull the trigger, dial the regulator to 20psi, 1/4 twist connects the sealed cup to the gun. Top knob is spray pattern, bottom is fluid flow. 1/4 turn of each until you reach your desired pattern and flow and away you go. Oh yes and because it is a sealed pressurized system, you can turn the gun up side down and paint.

Zero over spray, no cloud, nothing.

Now it was time for clean up. Disconnect the hose, turn the gun upside down pull the trigger a few seconds to drain what little paint is in the tip back into the cup. 1/4 turn disconnects the cup from the gun. Twist the locking ring off the paint cup. Remove the lid and liner as one piece. They are suctioned together. Throw them away. Cup will be clean put cup and locking ring on the shelf.

Pop the atomizer head off the gun body throw it away or drop it in a won ton container with about an ounce or so solvent, shake the container a few seconds remove the atomizing tip from solvent dry with a paper towel, put it on the shelf. It's good for about four more uses.

Wipe the atomizing needle with a paper towel. The gun is now clean. put it on the shelf.

This entire process took me about three minutes and an ounce of solvent to clean the atomizing tip.

Last edited by drcoastline; 01-07-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have been using this to spray primer for the last few years. I also use it for POR15 and anything else I would not want to spray thru my Iwata guns. Definitely a time saver. it doesn't atomize the paint well enough, so I don't think a would be spraying basecoat or clear with it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I haven't had a chance to use it for a top coat yet. Yesterdays project was spraying on SEM rust shield. I will say 3M says it can be used for top coats and clears. There are some really nice YouTube videos. The guy I bought my gun from says the local shops are using it.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
There are several tip sizes available and easy cleanup is a huge plus. So it is a goof choice for a hobbyist or small production shop. Since I haven't used it for base color or clear, I can't say if the pattern or transfer efficiency is good.
However, at the price base color and clear is, I am sticking with my Iwata spray guns. Excellent pattern and atomization, better transfer efficiency meaning less paint needed. I will still use the 3M accuspray for things like epoxy primer, high build primers or POR15. So it is a great tool to have.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i have one it works good for all coating i have sprayed thru it .
for a time i used it almost daily i went back to my other guns when i stopped spraying every day .
the problem for small shops like i'm doing now ( just me ) is the cost of cups and tips . any time you add in consumables like tips and cups it does add to the running costs of the shop .
with the other guns i have i just put them in the gun washer and turn it on and the washer cleans the guns . on most of my other guns i use the rps sata cups they also offer adapters for other makes of guns. i personally like the rps cups more then the 3M cups .. sata's tend to like lots of air coming into the cups as your using up the product in the cups so with my sata's the 3m cups do not work as well because they do not let in more air as you use up product in the cups .

all an all you got a good gun and made a good choice
Old 01-12-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

962- I can certainly see how the consumables can ad up and affect the bottom line. From watching the YouTube videos I can also see the benefits for a busy shop from a time saving stand point. They would have everything ready to go. primers, sealers, base and clear. spray on one, change the cup spray the next. Clean up time and the amount of solvent used was significantly less.

Cabrio- I am not a spokes person for the product and certainly not trying to sell you on the gun. Simply posting my experience based on my lazy ass. I am no professional but it seems to be a pretty decent gun. Granted I have only used it once. But the pattern and range seems to be pretty good. It can be dialed down to the size of dime or up to about 10 inch fan with good material through most of the pattern. You can get multiple cup sizes depending on the job size, reducing waste. Again, I had no over spray or a cloud of any kind. So transfer efficiency seems pretty good as well. From what I saw everything coming out of the tip stuck to the surface being painted. It didn't go in the air. As the liner is under vacuum everything in the cup gets used to the end. Again, no waste. The finish was flat and even. No dry spots or orange peel, so I would say it atomized pretty well.

It may not be up to the task of a high end custom job. Maybe it's only good enough for production work. That I don't know, yet. I am confident I can not and probably never will be able to lay down a professional paint job. But so far my impression is favorable. It's easy to use, the paint went on nice and clean up was quick and easy.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

the gun does give you the OE top coat finish of todays cars .
if your a lazy ass it's a good choice or even if you don't have a gun washer it's a good choice too .
for the DIY person having to take the gun all apart after you use it and clean every thing with thinner and then your stuck with dirty thinner you have to get rid of . with this gun you just throw the dirty bits away and your done .
again not a bad way to clean up a dirty gun .
Old 01-13-2017, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
the gun definitely has it's place and is worthy of the purchase. the different tip sizes and easy cleanup are definite advantages for a DIY or shop like 962 Porsche has which doesn't paint often.

Like 962Porsche stated: Buying cups, liners and tips can be costly but not having to deal with the waste thinner is a plus.

I may try spraying base color and clear with it on something I am not too concerned about. I am just one of the lazy asses who resists change.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
A helmet re-spray makes a good practice project.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I bought the same kit from my local paint shop for my bare metal 914 restoration. I've sprayed epoxy primer, POR15, basecoat, and clear coat through it.

I'm a very inexperienced painter, so I couldn't tell you how well it worked for me. I did get orange peel when spraying epoxy primer over Bulldog for fiberglass pieces, but the epoxy laid down on bare metal well.

In my experience, I could not find replacement liners and caps at less than a quantity of 50, so I have a big box of both in my garage.
2015 BMW X5
Old 03-13-2017, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Jmitro- I found a seller on Ebay that sells smaller quantities. If you want to sell half of your stash I would be interested.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Just a quick update. So out of the box the air regulator was defective. As I could get a regulator from Harbor Freight for about $5 I didn't make an issue of the problem. I also have a cheap water trap attached to the regulator so about six inches of ridged attachments hanging off the gun fitting. After about a dozen uses I noticed that where the air fitting goes into gun body began to move. The gun body is metal, aluminum I think covered in a black polymer grip. The Polymer began to deform where the hex nut sat into it. Eventually moving as much as a quarter turn. I do not know if the polymer was removed if the fitting is designed to move in the metal housing or not. The gun still worked with out issue and there was any detectable air loss where the fitting mounted in the handle. I contacted AutoBody tool Mart Where I purchased the gun and made them aware of the two issues. With in twenty four hours they responded saying send it back 3M has agreed to replace it under warranty. Yesterday a new kit arrived. So warranty service by AutoBody Tool Mart and 3M was top notch. I immediately opened the bubble pack to inspect the gun. The fitting is not a tight fit against the housing and already has about a 1/32" movement. I am guessing the fitting goes into the gun body and the polymer cover is then slid over the assembly. I have already notified ABTM about the movement and that I will keep an eye on the fitting. The gun comes with a 1 year warranty. I am think this is not a problem.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
drcoastline, I recall having my first gun replaced for the same reason. Recently pulled my accuspray gun out and use it. Needed a 2.0 tip for a Fiberglass evercoat primer. The gun sprayed well and I was able to keep the orange peel to a reasonable texture. I have to do paint the front inner structure of a 911, So I order 1.4 tips. I will report back with the results. I definitely like the easy cleanup.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: