Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can't find a shop in Calgary willing to paint my 911!

OK, I am officially confused.

I decided that, considering my health and personal situation, I needed to speed up my 911 project by getting a good body shop to prime, block sand and paint the car.

The car is completely stripped of everything (no suspension, interior, wiring, engine....everything off) and is sitting on a rollable stand:

I want them to strip/sand/blast as needed, prime, paint and return to me.

I am not asking them to do any reassembly or body work, there is no rust on the car anywhere, I have told them that I will paint the bumpers myself (as that is all my own custom sheet metal work....so they do not take any risk on my potentially "bad" workmanship), I am willing to supply the paint if needed.

Three shops, Maranello, Contemporary Coachworks and Calgary Coachworks, all reputable, high quality shops have turned me down flat....not even willing to look at the car or quote me a price. They say they do not do "restoration work"....which makes me think I am barking up the wrong tree, metaphorically speaking.

I am not even asking for them to do it on the cheap....the budget is $10,000+ just for the paintwork....and no one will even consider it.

So, am I asking the wrong way? Am I speaking to the wrong shops (these all came highly recommended)?

Anyone in Calgary area know of a paint/body shop willing to take this on or am I going to have to paint this one myself, just as I painted the last one (pic below)?

Help??

Dennis

(thread of current project here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/185692-fitting-6-speed-g50-89-carrera-new-post.html

My current driver in its current condition and yes, I painted it myself in my garage:

Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

this is common collision shops in most cases will not touch any type of resto job . they do collision repairs .
one reason is there works have no idea on what to do when it comes to resto work . you may think body work is body work but it's not !
you see collision repair people for the most part are nothing more then parts changers and there painters are not painters they are sprayers . the skill level in collision shops are really very low they are not trades men . asking a collision shop to restore your old porsche is like asking a transmission shop to rebuild your motor .
in my old restoration shop the only collision repairs we would do is on the old cars . if some one asked us to repair there 2017 toyota we would tell them flat out for get it ! just as the collision shop is telling you they don't do older cars .
Old 03-29-2017, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
this is common collision shops in most cases will not touch any type of resto job . they do collision repairs .
one reason is there works have no idea on what to do when it comes to resto work . you may think body work is body work but it's not !
you see collision repair people for the most part are nothing more then parts changers and there painters are not painters they are sprayers . the skill level in collision shops are really very low they are not trades men . asking a collision shop to restore your old porsche is like asking a transmission shop to rebuild your motor .
in my old restoration shop the only collision repairs we would do is on the old cars . if some one asked us to repair there 2017 toyota we would tell them flat out for get it ! just as the collision shop is telling you they don't do older cars .
Wow, what a shock! The shops I mentioned specialize in high end (likely new) cars, so even there they are parts replacers and painters. Probably also explains their surprise when I told them I had done all the filling using lead....

Oh well, I will just keep on looking and start getting my head around doing it myself.

Hope someone on the list in my area knows of a shop that will take it on!

Thanks 962, always great, informative posts from you!

Dennis
Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

high end lots of real meaning to that too .
when i was open we wouldn't do any car with a value under about 50 K . this weeded out lots of the crap jobs that people think 10 K is allot to spend on a resto .
one other thing we stopped doing was painting over other peoples work .
i learned after the 1st two years of being in business that it was a big mistake to do that .
so don't be surprised when you do find a resto shop and they too will turn you away because of that .
it's to bad you don't live closer i would be interested in looking at this job as a fill in between the E30 and 69 camaro i'm doing . yes i'm retired but still look for some things to do under the table to keep my self busy . and if i don't have to take it apart and put it back together it's a plus.. A big plus !.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
high end lots of real meaning to that too .
when i was open we wouldn't do any car with a value under about 50 K . this weeded out lots of the crap jobs that people think 10 K is allot to spend on a resto .
one other thing we stopped doing was painting over other peoples work .
i learned after the 1st two years of being in business that it was a big mistake to do that .
so don't be surprised when you do find a resto shop and they too will turn you away because of that .
it's to bad you don't live closer i would be interested in looking at this job as a fill in between the E30 and 69 camaro i'm doing . yes i'm retired but still look for some things to do under the table to keep my self busy . and if i don't have to take it apart and put it back together it's a plus.. A big plus !.
Wanna come for a visit to Canada?

Do you think it will help if I tell them I am prepared to have the car media blasted before they get it in their shop? The dry ice blaster guy is doing a test fender to see how well their process will work, advantage being that there will be no little plastic beads hanging around forever.....

Thanks again,

Dennis
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

i go to canada about 5 times a year . there are some very nice race track up north .

you should tell them every thing about your plans with the car .
Old 03-30-2017, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Try these guys, When I was Service Manager at Fifth Ave, worked quite a bit with them and they always did great work. I don't know if Walter still owns it They always had a project or 2 in there.

Continental Auto Body Ltd
Continental Auto Body Ltd
3300 14 Avenue Northeast
Calgary, AB
(403) 288-5166

Thanks, Rick Stephenson
Old 04-01-2017, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cosmo collision is the place to go. Does all the dealer's work and the owner has his own 911 SC
Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cosmos has already contacted me through the PCA web site that they are willing to take on the work....Ii am going there this afternoon to start the discussion. I will keep you all informed from there...

Thanks all!!

Dennis
Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

+911 on Continental. Just had my 993 resprayed there last year, they did a great job. Wanted them to do the work after I was at cars & coffee and saw a custom cabrio 993 widebody conversion they did, just gorgeous.

Always seem to be a couple of 911s in the shop so they are well regarded in the community. Now owned by Carmine Giocoli who bought the shop from Walter. You may have to wait a while to get slotted in, they are pretty busy.

Hey, kid, get your elbow off that new paint!
2015.5 Volvo XC60 (foul weather ride)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well, even with the best of intentions from a few, between timing and other aspects, I decided that I will paint the car myself again.

Just went out and bought the primer materials and will hopefully start with some tests on panels such as a door so that I can ensure I am familiar and able to do what I want.

Not a big deal I suppose, still surprised and disappointed at the difficulty in getting a tub that requires no bodywork painted.

Dennis
Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I own a paint and body shop near Los Angeles and I originally opened my doors as a restoration and custom car shop however it was a constant struggle to pay the bills no matter what I charged as it was never enough. Fast forward 18 years I no longer will do a complete paint job on even a 2017 model car and it it has nothing to do with inabilities but everything to do with the loss of revenue generated by the bottleneck that a complete paintjob creates in a collision shop. We paint portions of 3-4 cars a day that all average about $6000 each. When we do a complete it may be the only thing getting done for two solid days. Do the math. My last price on a complete paintjob on a late model car was $15000. When I was doing projects like yours my starting price was $30,000 and it only went up from there depending on what I found when I stripped it. Trust me that I'm torn when I see you guys especially the ones near me looking for the best shop around as I was that guy for many years. Now I'm just the best collision shop around and I have a blast applying my restoration back ground and principles to fixing collision damage.

Last edited by nathanbs; 07-01-2017 at 08:24 PM..
Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Occasional User

I was at a PCA Cars & Coffee last Sunday at one of the Porsche dealers here in Toronto. All of the dealers here are now advertising "Porsche Classic Restoration" Not to be confused with Germany where you send your project to them. Here I suspect they send the car out for body / paint.

Anyway, they had a 72 body shell on display - no doors, lid, hood. It was painted in a really nice green metallic. I asked the Porsche guys how much time it had taken. They claimed they had 600 hours into it. I don't know what body paint costs, but 600 x say $100 = $60,000 for just the shell, plus paint. It looked great, but I am not sure I can see 600 hours.

It must be a money maker for them to all be getting in to it.

They messed up on the shutz, though. I suspect several here would not be impressed with how that looked.
2009 Cayman S White, Full Cocoa - sold
1972 911E Silver Coupe, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook&Dunning View Post
I was at a PCA Cars & Coffee last Sunday at one of the Porsche dealers here in Toronto. All of the dealers here are now advertising "Porsche Classic Restoration" Not to be confused with Germany where you send your project to them. Here I suspect they send the car out for body / paint.

Anyway, they had a 72 body shell on display - no doors, lid, hood. It was painted in a really nice green metallic. I asked the Porsche guys how much time it had taken. They claimed they had 600 hours into it. I don't know what body paint costs, but 600 x say $100 = $60,000 for just the shell, plus paint. It looked great, but I am not sure I can see 600 hours.

They messed up on the shutz, though. I suspect several here would not be impressed with how that looked.
I know from my limited experience you do burn the hours. Sheet metal work can take forever if you do it right, I probably have over 500 hours just in fabricating the front and rear bumpers, taking out the sunroof and drip rails, doing all the lead work.

Last car I did around 240 hours of priming and sanding prior to paint, then spent a week doing the colour sanding/blocking/polishing.

Dennis
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook&Dunning View Post

I know from my limited experience you do burn the hours. Sheet metal work can take forever if you do it right, I probably have over 500 hours just in fabricating the front and rear bumpers, taking out the sunroof and drip rails, doing all the lead work.

Last car I did around 240 hours of priming and sanding prior to paint, then spent a week doing the colour sanding/blocking/polishing.

Dennis
Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Man you guys are making me tired just thinking about what it takes.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Anyone in Alberta willing to do mine? Pretty solid aside from needing a door lock post replaced. Panel gaps could use some help. Plus paint.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: