Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Some more pics that may help explain better than my twisted English.

New used tube before cutting off the excess.

The old tube still putting up a fight
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Back to the current stage. The rear quarters needed to have the spot welds drilled out and then welded back into the proper position. Passenger side is complete. Will finish the drivers today. Rear deck lid lines op nicely but the curve is slightly off in the fiberglass. Just on the left side. So that will have to be taken care of when it gets bodywork. One of the guys in the shop was kind enough to weld up all the tiny holes that held various interior bits over the years. Will be off the jig today and on the rotisserie so the bottom can be finished.

Last edited by seafeye; 11-16-2017 at 06:12 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

The guys finished the left quarter panel. We sized up the left fender, Then took the car off the jig with the use of a car lift. Now it's back on the rotisserie for some final welding and installation of the front and rear bumpers. Big change from Aug to Nov.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Last week was a bit slow due to the holiday. But the floor is finally welded in completely. Next week will be oil tank install and cleaning of steering rack area.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Good days and bad days. Today was a good day. One of the guys at the shop made this cool little scribing tool to mark out a circle for the oil tank. Worked great! Then the hole was cut and a '72 tank was used as a mockup. A flange was put around the hole, tomorrow a tank will be mounted and the oil filler neck added. Might be a tad difficult to get to the proper height. The idea is to make it too long. Then slowly grind away metal till we are happy with the height. The hole is round. I just took the picture from a funny angle.

Last edited by seafeye; 11-28-2017 at 03:14 PM..
Old 11-28-2017, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Oil tank fiddled with then installed. Looks like a good fit. Tomorrow illl make a handle and weld it on.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

seafeye,

I know your thread doesn't have much dialogue or outside participation, but keep posting. It's always interesting to me what others are doing in their shops and the solutions they come up with for the various problems that need solving... the little circle scribing tool is a perfect example!

cool stuff...

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-30-2017, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Thx. It's been a tough project. Time money all are always in short supply. It's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. Next pictures are the oil tank with the neck welded on. It was quite the effort to get it to sit squarely in the hole. I've compared to original 911r's and it's about as accurate as we could get it.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

You have done amazing work. Keep going.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-01-2017, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Not much exciting to report. The oil tank was installed and I put in the oil console from the '72. Test fitted the oil lines and thankfully they fit. Then today I spent the day with help from a friend go over the car with 229 grit. Plan is to hit all the metal inside with epoxy primer. Then the fun job of high and low spot hunting. Would like the car totally in primer by the end of this week.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

At some point in this cars past. A real man of genius decided that A newer style dash with a center air vent was cooler. So they cut up the dash. Today a replacement piece was made and welded in. All the while I was busy sanding with 220. My fingers are sore. And still have undercoating around the steering rack to remove.

Last edited by seafeye; 12-08-2017 at 06:02 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Sand sand sand. 😫 inside and out.
Sealer coat next week I hope.

This is the finish Iím hoping to achieve.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

My hands hurt just looking at all this work. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_IE View Post
My hands hurt just looking at all this work. Awesome.
Mine too, and I think some of my knuckles are bleeding...

Your goals are admirable! and it looks like you are well on your way to meeting them.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome !!!! Pics, glad I checked out the thread, this goes a little deeper than just talking about your blackhawk jig !
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind words. Things get pretty busy around Christmas. I end up working too much but not on the car. I did get what I think is all the sanding of the shell completed. The painter says itís all looking good for sealer primer. Iíll do the floor first so I can put the car on a dolly and assemble the fenders and bumpers. I really want the car painted by the end of January. But better have it right then done wrong and finished on a deadline. Anyone who knows these cars knows that the chassis is covered with undercoating. The inside is full of sound deadining. I canít tell you how many hours Iíve spent trying to get a 100% clean metal chassis. But I think Iím there. Hope it wonít sound too much like a tin can.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Very nice work!

As for the torque tube, go back and add bracing from the centre to the tunnel

The factory started doing that in 1974 to address cracking/bending issues
Today’s sticky tires make the tubes even more prone to damage

As lateral forces are applied to the tire, the force is transmitted along the banana arm to the unsupported centre of the tube, causing bending or cracking
Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Finally after what seemed like an eternity I got some epoxy primer on the whole car. And the first coat of satin black on the bottom. The plan is to get the car on a dolly so I can get the front fenders/hood/bumper All installed correctly. I think the hard work of sanding and removing the undercoating paid off. The chassis looks really clean.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Couple more. Spent way too much time cleaning the bottom.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: