Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
You have done such an excellent job, the gaps look perfect. I was just asking about the time as I'm planning to spend about 8 hours on the weekend and maybe 4 hours during the week on my project. Trying to gauge how long it has been taking you vs what I think I'm going to encounter. Hopefully your move will not be too stressful.
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 06-23-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

I personally have stopped touching the car. Right now it is in the hands of the painter. Since their reputation is on the line they want to sand and smooth the final coats of primer. Iíd expect it needs to be wet sanded then another coat of primer. 2 days work maybe? Then maybe we can think of a color. I was thinking...yellow...then green....then blue....then ivory.... but now Iím thinking tangerine. We were debating about making the whole car one color. Inside and outside. But I think the original 911rís were flat black everywhere but on the outside. I think Iíll go this route.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
That is going to be the hardest part, picking the color. I have been bouncing back and forth between Tangerine and Viper Green. I have had a Tangerine '71 T before and loved the color. But when I had it I fell in love with a Viper Green Porsche that has been on my mind for the last 15 years... I can't wait until I'm where you are at. Tangerine is great because it isn't orange and it isn't red, it looks different in different light. I am also considering doing full color inside and out, I'm still leaning toward it.
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, wow, wow....
Old 06-24-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafeye View Post
I personally have stopped touching the car. Right now it is in the hands of the painter. Since their reputation is on the line they want to sand and smooth the final coats of primer. Iíd expect it needs to be wet sanded then another coat of primer. 2 days work maybe? Then maybe we can think of a color. I was thinking...yellow...then green....then blue....then ivory.... but now Iím thinking tangerine. We were debating about making the whole car one color. Inside and outside. But I think the original 911rís were flat black everywhere but on the outside. I think Iíll go this route.
Looking GREAT!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

And so finally the car gets some colour....

Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome! I take it you went with Tangerine. It almost looks like a satin finish? What are some details on the paint?
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-06-2018, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

It’s actually going to be Continental orange. This was 4 coats of the paint. Then it’s going to be sanded today in preparation for the clear coat. Maybe we can get the clear on this week. The next step is to figure out what colour to do the stripes...
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

So since Iím trying to copy the early ďRĒ cars, Iíll be paining the interior and underneath of the car in satin black. We went back and forth on that to paint first and figured it would be easier to paint the colour on the outside first. Even as far as the clear. Then mask off the painted areas and shoot the black. If we get overspray on the colour it will be easy to polish off. Rather than trying to get the orange paint off the black spots.
So first things first. Colour sand the orange now, spray a couple more orange coats. Then shoot a couple coats of clear. Then mask off everything and paint the chassis black.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

And now the wet sanding is being done as well as painting the also important stuff....
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good!

What about under coating, how does that process work? Are you putting undercoating on, if so then I take it you just paint over it with the satin black? Can you paint over undercoating?

Also, I noticed that you painted with your front fenders on the car, do some people paint with them removed? Do you know what the pluses and minus are there?

Thanks,

Rodney

Thanks for continuing to post these pics!
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-09-2018, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Great questions.

We chose to paint with the fenders on. Mainly because they are fiberglass and I got them to fit as perfectly as possible. I was worried if we removed them that I’d be opening a can of worms getting them to fit properly again. Or risk the fiberglass flexing and cracking the paint. Since they are on the car and mostly bolted on they feel stiff.

The whole underneath of the car will be satin black. As well as the interior. I won’t be putting any undercoating on the car. If I was to do the rubber, I’d spray that on. Then the colour overtop.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Many superlatives come to mind, even down to the cleanliness of the shop and their both. Maybe I'll leave it at this: your project is a cut above most others. John
Old 08-11-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
One more thing: the four cones around the car as it's being wet sanded clearly say: stay the $&?Ä£! away, and don't even THINK of putting a finger print on this car...
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Jjeffries you are too kind. The owner of the shop has been very careful around my car. He has invested a lot more time into my car than he will get in return. The spray booth went under an extensive cleaning prior to the painting. The grates in the floor were pulled and the air tunnel under was hosed out and mopped. Walls were washed and even painted. The filters in the ceiling were replaced with new. Not to mention the air filters leading to the room. The clear has been applied. All I got was a vague picture right now. Iím working and wonít have time to see the car till maybe Wednesday morning. Still need to paint the interior and underneath black.
Iím moving houses during all this, I hope I can get the parts organized so assembly will be straight forward. Anyway here is a teaser...
Old 08-11-2018, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
I see 356 parts hanging on the wall behind. What a color.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

And some black going on....Iím getting excited.

M
Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Seafeye,

Looks awesome, I like the black. I just went back to see your first post pics and realized that we have not seen where you started at, there are pics of once you go it on the jig, but what condition was your '72 in when you started?
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

The car was well...not really easy on the eyes when I got it. It had a 959 body kit on it. Red with white interior. I got into a minor accident and that is what started this build. Once the body kit was removed it really showed the horrors underneath. But if it was made by man, then man can fix it. So here is where the car is today. The doors, bumpers, hood are all getting the black paint on today. Iím a tough customer, I wanted the car to be everything I wanted it to be. And I can honestly say that this car exceeds my high standards. Still have a great distance to go but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Bumpers/Hood/Doors all painted. Ready to go.
Now Trying to put some parts on the car so I can transport it home for final assembly.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: