Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lovely reflections, awesome color! question...I've painted my own 911 and been around a bunch, but as best as I can remember, the door jambs (and doors except the inner panel) were body color Whats the thinking on this?
Old 08-23-2018, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

I thought about doing the car inside and out all one colour. But after looking at original 911R’s I decided I’d have a go at painting the car like Porsche did in the 60’s.
Here is a shot of one of the prototype car. And how I did mine. I found a set of seats exactly like these as well. You can see how Porsche basically had the car entirely black. Then just painted the exterior of the car whatever colour the customer requested. Usually white. I know my car isn’t a real 911R. It’s a 1971 911E. I’m not a purist, just an enthusiast who wants to make a nice light 911. This car was never destined to be restored to original, although I could put steel fenders/doors/bumpers etc... and make the car more factory. But what fun would that be?

Factory Car

My car

Factory Car

My car
Old 08-23-2018, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
I admire your approach to building the 911 youwant. The fact that a project that embodies such purity of vision started out with that nutty 959 kit is pretty ironic. I also think about how few future admirers will understand the exhaustive, monotonous, bleeding-fingers work that went into preparing the surfaces under that satin black paint. And that's a great collection of metal-working tools we see in the newest photos. Best, John
Old 08-23-2018, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Jjeffries you are as always too kind. Looking at some of the pictures on my phone I think I did get a little carried away with cleaning the bottom. I really just wanted a clean chassis free of all undercoating. And looking at the pictures the bottom is just as clean as the top. Itís hard once you start to stop. Itís a bit of an addiction to get all the rubber off the car. Bloody knuckles. Ripped shirts. A nice gash over my eye. All battle wounds and almost expected with a restoration.
I hope the car continues to look good throughout its assembly. I wonít be using any old seals or anything like that. I have boxes and boxes of parts to go on. Guess Iíll start with the suspension.
Here is a better shot of the bottom. Too much? Doesnít matter.
Iím still going to drive the heck out the car.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
This is such an awesome build. I feel like it is completely hidden from the rest of the forum members as barely anyone visits this section. If you have time it would be awesome to start a new thread with pictures from the beginning.... Iím sure you would rather be spending most of your time actually working on your car instead of playing on the computer, but more people need to be inspired....
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

No spilt blood today. So that’s a good sign. Damon made putting in the center tank filler a breeze. I think it’s just about as perfect as it can get. I like that the hole in the hood is just barely bigger than the filler cap. Still need a handle welded on. And the oil tank as well. I put the roll bar in and bolted it down, figuring that it’s less likely to get damaged inside the car. Then I put the plastic door handles on. Door seals... one bite at a time...

Tank with the starting hole:

Filler neck with some nice welds...

Tacked into place...

Welded into place...

How does he do that?

I love it....maybe not the greasy hand prints but what are you gonna do?

Last edited by seafeye; 08-29-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Old 08-27-2018, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Handles make for a nice finishing touch. Fuel tank and oil tank.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Interesting explanation regarding the coloring of the originals. When I sprayed mine I replicated what i found and had seen in others, which matched. Body color, and then the matte black around the upper dash/defrost area, around the shifter, etc.

I wasn't aware of the other method which you describe, learn something new every day!

Love the orange!

Will you put in a catch ring around the filler neck to catch rainwater and possible overflow?
Old 08-31-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Yes. Found a nice dog bowl that I think is the perfect size for the tank filler. Iíll pull the tank soon again and strip it and paint it properly. Today was a giant leap. Got to work on it all day. Rear suspension is in. Same for the front. Wiring harness through the car. Brakes hooked up. No fluid yet. Parking brake cables were fun. Getting stuff through the tunnel wasnít the easiest of chores either. Trying my best not to mark up the black interior, but things happen. ANd before you say anything.... yes Iíll get the front ride height set properly.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Still sitting too high. Car is very light.
Damon is welding in the dog bowl. Martin has been kind enough to work extra hours putting the motor in and all the other huge tasks. While Iím away working on a trip.
If the hurricane allows Iíll be back Monday morning to go full steam...

Old 09-13-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Looks awesome! Where is the engine pic?
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 09-14-2018, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Oops sorry. Iím missing an engine bolt. So itís hanging a bit. Nothing goes as planned it seems.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Car looks great! Can you comment on the fender brand and difficulty to mount / get right.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

The EB Motorsports fenders are great. Couple issues I had/have is that the headlight bucket accepts the early headlights only. Might be an issue if you want to mount the newer more secure headlights. Also the fender supports weren’t in the proper space for my car. Now I did have to mount new inner fenders/door hinge plates etc... but my doors were almost perfect. So maybe there is a difference from a SWB vs LWB with respect to the supports that run up and down the fenders. The left fender had a low spot on the top that required some filling to get the curve correct.
Other than that. The fenders fit very very well. Even factory steel fenders will require gapping. Oh. On the right front fender. The flare that ran in front of the wheel was slightly bent or twisted backwards. So that was fixed by removing material from behind. Bending to the proper position then re-fiberglassing to support the new location.
So would I recommend? Yes. The bumpers required more work than I had figured. The hood almost nothing. Doors were a bit proud at the bottom. But I did replace my inner and outer rockers. Rear deck lid was a pleasure. Not sure what grill I’ll be using.
I have a Weltmeister sway bar on the front. It might be overkill for such a light car. I may need the full 100l in the front of the car to weight it down. Those EB panels are light.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Ok. No more hate mail.... here is a better shot of the heart n soul. Spent the day hooking up the oil tank. Seems when the hi pressure line is hooked up it forces the tank forward. So it doesnít fit in the hole great. I may just get a hydraulic shop cut me one slightly shorter. Then my right rear brake caliper line doesnít want to thread in. So I think Iíll either need a new caliper or see if I can helicoil some threads in there.
Then the oil tank sender wires were too short...maybe best to take a day off.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Still looks a tad high. Might be my tiny tires. I didnít want them to rub. But itís coming together...
Old 09-18-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: