Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Here is the 356

Old 09-22-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

I just finished going through the build. Absolutely beautiful and quality work.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Been working here and there on the car. After moving into my new house Iíve been busy with other chores. Plus itís still hot in there. I get tired of sweat dripping down my face and mosquitoes having their way with me. So I got some old 100% deet. That may give me brain cancer but at least I wonít be taken alive.
Got the passenger door window frame in. Still need to hook up the 911R strap. Although the windows I got wonít be going up and down.
I could use some advice for the rear quarter windows. They donít curve like the body of the car. Supposedly they are just glued. So has anyone done this that can remember how? At the leading edge of the window where it butts up against the door, where does the glue go? Should I just make an aluminum bracket and pop rivet it in?
Google isnít being much help. Anyway here is some eye candy.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Looks great!!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
did you install your rear quarters? method used? i've got these rear quarter windows as well and have not gotten around to installing.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Iíve been working on the windows. Not much success yet. I did make some brackets with 1 pop rivet to secure in the factory hinge area. I tried to glue in the drivers window. But the glue didnít get under the window fully. So it looked like crap. So I thought Iíd try a different approach. I put a bead of sealant on the window ledge. Then once I install the window Iíll fill the gaps and it should look complete.
My first go didnít go as planned. I got the sealant all over the window. Then it pulled from the car and so the Orange showed through.
Iím thinking that this approach will work. But I will need better sealant. Will look into some 3m stuff that cures faster. Till then...

I did get to finally bleed the brakes. I ordered a pair of rear calipers from our host as I wasnít happy with the condition of my old ones. The pedal is firm. 1 small step forward.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Nice to get the brakes done.

Next is to figure out how to get the oil tank to stop moving out of place.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

The wiring for the oil tank was a bit short. So I made an extension today. And put a connector on about 1/2 way. Saves me having to pull the oil tank if I need to get at the wires. Also made sure the rubber on the strap was secure so when the tank gets tigened down it doesnít rotate forward.
Then I got bored of that so I decided to install the front bumper. The seal was a bit difficult to get into the groove on the latch panel. But perseverance paid off. I used a little 3m sealant to help secure the seal. I think it fits pretty good. Iíll be able to get the bumper lined up nicely. Then the hardest part of the day. Drilling the hood for the hood straps. My phone just had to ring about 5 times during the process. I hope they are centered. My crooked view they look fine.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Life gets in the way of projects from time to time. The weather is perfect for driving but Iím still tinkering. I have been putting off installing the MSD ignition for a while. I think because Iím worried the non Porsche stuff will ruin the engine bay. I think it distracts from the simplicity of the car but after I installed it today, I was happy with the result. Still might be a bit cramped in there but having a good reliable twin plug system should have positive results. Only question I couldnít find an answer to is...
I have two grey wires, or from each ignition module. Do I use both to send the signal to my tack? Or just 1? Logic says just 1 is needed. I can always swap them over to check the rpmís. Anyway. I didnít follow my logic and going to try it with both. Whatís the worst that can happen? Not sure I like the silver nuts showing on the inside of the car. But I think having the boxes up under the shelf is a good 1/2 hidden spot.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Seafeye,

Looking good. Sorry I don't have an answer to the tach let us know if you find out the solution. It sucks how you put so much work into preparing the body of your car and then you have to drill holes into to attach components!

Keep the updates coming!

Rodney
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

One should do the trick. THats what the tach is driven off in stock form, correct?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around those quarter windows; haven't seen anything like them in the flesh so cannot visualize how they are really meant to fit. My Alfa GTV has opening rear quarter windows; you might find their hinge system interesting. That orange just leaps off the screen. John
Old 10-24-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

I’ll try post some pictures of the quarter windows when I finally get around to installing them. The rear lights are posing a problem because the mounting holes don’t really line up. More on that later.
I’ve been busy working on the electrical system. Gauges. Wiper motor and blower motor. Some old parts are cracked. Typical of a car in a hot climate I guess.
The new dash I installed looks like a million bucks. Best $1000 I ever spend. Aside from that night in Vegas of course. I wasn’t t going to do the trim down the center of the dash. Or the glovebox door etc... but the hazard switch wouldn’t fit. It’s sized to fit in the trim panel.
So to keep the car unique. I decided to use black leather for the trim. Will match the leather seats.
I have the proper material if I decide to go to a more factory look. I’d sure like to get a badge for the glovebox that says “911R” if someone has the talent to make one.
Currently I’m held up with the light switch. Mine is toast but thankfully a fellow pelican is sending me one from Florida. Well here is the progress. Doesn’t look like much but quite a bit of work. Next time I’m taking better pictures for reassembly.

I need to clean up this mess.

Last edited by seafeye; 11-08-2018 at 07:09 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
The Dash does look awesome, where did you source it?

Also, is the dash emblem smaller than the one on the decklid? I just found a 911R emblem on ebay.
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Been busy working on the car. Not so busy posting updates. Here are a few shots.
Headlights and horns installed. The wiring harness finally completed. Although my wipers only work on speed 3. And intermittent. Think the diagram might be off. Iíll gave to fiddle with the order of the wires.
Tried to post a video of the engine running but I guess pelican doesnít allow direct uploads. Iíll try get it up on YouTube.
There isnít a cold start valve so it is a bit fussy when first started. Pops and spits. The MSD and JB Racing distributor work well together. Only problems so far was no tach and no oil temp.
I fixed the tach with the product from ratech. Just connected the grey MSD tach wire to the ratech unit then to my purple/black tach wire.
Temp gauge is broken Iím assuming. Pretty hard for a sender to go bad I think.
My oil cap handle broke and itís been a killer to find a replacement. But a 1950ís beetle cap seemed to do the job. Just need to get the handle welded on.
Lastly had a gas leak. One of the plugs on the tank was dripping. Making for a stinky garage. Just a pipe wrench tightened that up. Next up..... rear lights.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
WOW !!

Great job. love thew color
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Sure looks better with the rear bumper attached.

Last edited by seafeye; 12-04-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Old 12-04-2018, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: