Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Holy Cow that's sweet. Carpets are just right. Quick story: I had a 74 flat windshield Bug (didn't we all?) from 83-86 that was a lighter shade of orange, but I re-painted it in a blood-orange similar to this 911 of yours and did all the exterior trim, incl bumpers and hubcaps, in satin black, then added a stinger muffler. It had salt & pepper carpets and those (incredibly durable, high quality) factory rubber mats. I sold it when I entered my Jeep CJ5 phase (didn't last too long but lives with me to this day in the form of damaged spinal discs), but never lost my appreciation of real VW's and their Audi and Porsche relatives. As austere as Bugs were, they exuded quality and purpose, and when I finally got my 82 SC (black) in 2014, it was like closing a circle that opened with that Bug. I realize this is a pretty common phenomenon among "us", but looking at your new photos just brought that all flooding back. I loved caring for that car, listening to the Becker stereo I installed (with amp/EQ, of course), rebuilding the engine with help from John Muir's manual and generally driving the snot out of it, all over New England. I can see now what it was preparing me for.
Sorry for the drivel. Hope I get to see your car in person someday.
John
Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Seafeye,

The black interior getting dusty would drive me crazy too. I was thinking about going with out carpets as well, but my interior will be color. I think the carpets look great, no loss there. And as for the seats they are great, and I think suck an integral part to the design of the 911. Money well spent. What size tires up front and back did you end up going with?

Thanks,

Rodney
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

Looks awesome!!! I hope that backrest angle works for you. I have a seat decision somewhere in my distant future (I hope!) But that's something I have in the back of my mind. My MOMO racing seat in my race car was fixed, and was awesome, but I set the brackets up with adjustments and found 'the right spot"....not sure that would work for me in a 911.

Anyway, keep up the updates! Living vicariously!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

Years ago I had a ‘72 with fixed seats. I drove it across Canada. I never got a sore back. But 2 hours in my cayenne....

Not near the car now, but from memory I think I have 195’s up from. And 215 on the back.
I think I will go bigger next time.
Try to squeeze 225/205 on the car. I didn’t want them to rub so I got slightly smaller. I have a set of cookie cutters I’ll put some bigger tires on. And see how that goes.
Happy New Year everyone. Thanks for all the kind comments.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
Man I wish you were closer to S Cal so you could get this in Luft 6, I'd love to see it in person. Sano!
Might as well drive it! That's what the good Doctor intended afterall

BTW: Anybody heard any rumors about Luft 6?

www.instagram.com/patrickossenkop
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
Might as well drive it! That's what the good Doctor intended afterall

BTW: Anybody heard any rumors about Luft 6?
No, I know some guys who are "invitees" and they say they hear last minute like everyone else. Seems like they keep a tight lid on it until a month to go or so. I think Easter hits at an odd time, so I wonder if it will be early May? As soon as I get a date I'm booking flights! 3000 miles is a loooong drive!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
No, I know some guys who are "invitees" and they say they hear last minute like everyone else. Seems like they keep a tight lid on it until a month to go or so. I think Easter hits at an odd time, so I wonder if it will be early May? As soon as I get a date I'm booking flights! 3000 miles is a loooong drive!
I feel like last year the date was announced in November and December. I recently heard a rumor from a good source. We'll see.

Last year we did 5200 miles overall iirc. If we make it at all this year we will have to fly out and possibly ship the car due to my work schedule and the alleged date.

We will for sure be driving to the Texas Hill Country Rally in March.

www.instagram.com/patrickossenkop
Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Yea, one year they DID announce early, IIRC, Dec 4?
But last year I'm pretty sure from reviewing my emails, they announced about a month out or so.

Want to share the very loose and rumoured not verifiable possible date?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

If you ever wonder why a two min job turns into 30...
It’s peeling off those pesky part number stickers.
Things were going good and bad last week. Went for a walk out back from my house and had a fight with a poison ivy plant. It obviously won. I’ve been in agony for a week now. So I can’t sleep and that is turning out to be good news for the car.
I got the back bumper finally where I like it. It took taking it off and on a hundred times it seemed.
The bumper seals didn’t really take of the gap very well. I’m thinking because of the fiberglass bumper. Anyway I surprised myself, I used some sealant on the top of the seals. It belended in quite nicely. I am definitely one of those that will try to make it perfect before going to something else. But in this case I’m happy 90% with the rear bumper.
The rear lights weren’t too much of a challenge. Just wire them up and off I go.
Two electrical gremlins to take care of. Well 1 I did. The brake lights weren’t working. So I had to adjust the screw on the switch. All good now.
My blinker relay doesn’t stop blinking. All lights work when I use the appropriate switch. But when I turn the key you can hear the blinker relay clicking. And no lights. I’ve ordered a new relay. What do you think of my tag? Think it’s too much for a car that is just a 911E?
The rear light fiberglass holder was more that a *****. There was no real way to attach it. So I had to make 4 brackets to screw the whole light assembly too. Worked till 2am to get them to fit. And again I’m 90% happy with them. Fiberglass definitely has its limitations. Enough of the blabbing. Here are a couple shots.

Last edited by seafeye; 01-11-2019 at 12:45 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

Garage
Those gaps....so sweet.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great! The engine you have in there is definitely not just a 911E! Tag looks great. Do you have a decklid emblem?

Also, what did you do regarding the wire harness? Did you use your hold one? Was it completely removed prior to paint? Any suggestions for people dealing with the harness to minimize gremlins?
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

I have two decals for the decklid. I have the curved Porsche and a straight Porsche. I think ill try for the curved one first. If I screw that up I can always use the other.

I had pulled my wire harness out completely. It wasn't the hardest job in the world getting it back in. Even with a lot of pictures hooking it back up to the fuse panel was interesting. There are many of the same colors that go to the left and right of the fuse panel. If I was to label them I would do 1 thru 18 on the left side and A thru R for the right side.
But after 50 years people do strange things with the wiring and you might feel better just wiring it up from scratch. Just get a good multimeter that has sound and you can check continuity on each wire.
My issue is that the colors can blend together. Not so much on the wires but on the wire diagram.
I like that on Aviation wire, each wire is numbered.
Also the 3 or 4 connectors under the dash can get mixed up. The ones that go from the headlight switch, hazard... Those 3 or 4 should be marked as a pair before you disconnect them. But fear not. Because you can just do a continuity check to figure out which one goes where if you didn't mark them.
Im still having an error with my wiper motor. From what I read, the factory wiring diagram is incorrect, so before I put in my blower motor I may just take the wiper motor out again and figure something out. It works on intermittent and fast. But no medium.

Yesterday I was working on the rear window. I can't get the trim to stay in the corners. The lexan bends all too easy, I may have to get a window person to come out and install it. 4 hours and I go absolutely nowhere.....
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Got the front blower motor and cables attached. All this years as a bike mechanic helped with making them run smoothly. Still having issues with the turn signal indicators. The blinker relay constantly clicks when the key is in the on position. All lights work fine. I do have LED bulbs. I at try a LED type relay to see if that works. Been searching the internet for a schematic diagram of the relay. Iím thinking I can add a resistor to the input 12v and trick it. By it constantly clicking it makes me think I have constant power at the input so it energizes the relay. Now why the constant power? I dunno. I checked the grounds. All the switches. It all appears correct.
Anyway. Put in the window straps. Although they arenít going to do much because the window sliders prevent the windows from going down.
Door stays were also installed. A real pain to get the nuts on at the back of the door.
Tomorrow windows. Hopefully I can make it to cars and cappuccino on Sunday.
She sure runs good.
And lastly I got a black grill for the back. Itís ok. Iím thinking chrome might look better.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

About the chrome grille, if you want to brighten it up, I would think very hard about matching the finish of the adjacent hinges, as the car is rather chrome-less.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Well today was a monumental moment. I got to annoy my Neighbour’s and drive the old lady around the block. Still haven’t gotten the rear window in. But put in a new turn signal. Now everything is working great. I figure I have 5 gallons of gas... should be enough to get me to a gas station. Not having a rear window is a bit of a worry. Only because the fumes tend to get sucked in. But after 3 years... I’m itching to get her on the road. And Lateapex, I think you are right. The black grill looks good. I’m not sure if I put a chrome one on I’d like it any more. Well no hurry for that anyway.

Last edited by seafeye; Today at 08:20 AM..
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

This makes me really smile! COngrats!!!!!!!!

Lucky guy, living in NC!
Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)

The guy who installed my windshield was from CT. He says he wasn’t going back.
Summers here can be painful. You just sweat brushing your teeth. And I got some pretty good amount of poison ivy two weeks ago. Even the doctor was surprised that in January it was so bad. Guess I’ll be more careful what vines I’m pulling out back. At this point I’d rather shovel snow than scratch any more.
Old Today, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

I got poison ivy a year ago last november after raking leaves. I was scratching AND shoveling snow. And it gets hot here too, and humid, but only from Jun through Sept. However, I'd rather sweat that have my fingers feel like they've been hit with a hammer after working outside.

And 'life' is longer where it's nicer. There's no way my 911 is going anywhere today or next week or next month. The streets are coated in brine and salt and it's in the 20s.

Your glass man is right.
(I'd be curious to know what kind of hit he took in pay, and what kind of savings he got in an apples to apples housing and tax and expense comparison. I strongly suspect he makes less, and spends a LOT less.)
Old Today, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

Was raining today. So was a good time to have a friend come over and help me with my side and rear decals. This finishing the car is like eating an elephant...one bite at a time.

Old Today, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: