Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
dkbautosports.com

finely got it done

after being sick and in and out of the hospital this summer i finely got the BMW E30 done for the customer to get to the track test day. the test day went great with out any problems at all . i have to do more chassis setup with a shock and spring change to the rear .
i swapped in a BMW M50 motor moved the firewall , motor,trans and driver back in the chassis 10.25" and dropped the motor down 1.75" in the chassis . the front of the motor now sits at the front axle center line . this moved all the weight between the axles with little to no over hung weight to speak of . the car scales in at 2134 LBS wet with out a driver .
the car is raced in SCCA class ITEZ the body is so banged up from the 5 past chump events it has been in .
over the winter break i will deal with the wiring and a few other detail things . but the car is good to go for the next few events before the season is over .
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow. A lot of work went in to this. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Cool! This is similar to my build of a e30 M3. But....I went 4 cyl 1.8 ltr turbo!

e30 M342t Evolution
Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Glad you are feeling better - that car looks like fun.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon in STL View Post
Cool! This is similar to my build of a e30 M3. But....I went 4 cyl 1.8 ltr turbo!

e30 M342t Evolution
nice build
Old 10-16-2017, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the reason i cut the hole center tunnel out all as one piece with the peddle mounts was not to have to fabricate new mountings for the trans , center driver shaft baring mount , and peddles .
i would have liked to move every thing back in the chassis .75" this would have made it a 100% perfect 50/50 balance . the reason why i couldn't was the rear seat pan is in the way . the car owner and i did not want to install a fuel cell . there is no good place to install a cell in the car . the stock fuel tank sits low and infront of the rear axle line and there would be no easy way to replace it in that area .
i did run into the same problems with a standard M50 swap into the E30 chassis as the brake booster hit the intake . i used a prosche brake booster and master and that saved me some room so even though i did have to roll the motor to the right more it only had to be rolled about 8 degrees .
we are taking the car up to palmer motorsports park for another test day tomorrow .
this will be our 3rd test day for the car and so far not any problems . a rear shock and spring change did fix the handling .
Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow, looks like a lot of work, but awesome!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

we took the car to the test day at palmer yesterday every thing was going great the car was turning some very very good lap times and is fast as hell . the car owner went out in it for the 3rd run of the day and came back into the pits after 2 3rds of the run with the car not shifting . couldn't find any gears but 3rd gear .
turns out the bimmerworld short shift kit has a bolt that holds a part of the shift linkage together snapped off . what a POS kit that is !
this kit is new and in no way should it break a bolt off . they should weld the thing or maybe use a high class of bolts .
bimmerworld will send us a new kit and we will go do another test and tune day with SCDA at lime rock on the 28th .
Old 10-18-2017, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Bummer on the bolt snapping. It is no fun when a low cost part causes missed track time!

I had the same issue with the fuel tank location during my build. I actually cut out the rear seat support area thinking I'd make a fuel cell work there. With the available sizes aftermarket sizes, it would have to be mounted pretty high to clear the drive shaft. I ended up going back to the stock tank configuration.

What trans is in this car?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

we used the stock e30 trans from the car and a rear diff from a e30 convertible for the LSD .

the stock fuel tank is ok . we don't like that when it gets down to 1/8 tank of so the fuel pickup doesn't pick up the fuel in corners . i'm going to take another new fuel tank and cut some of the top out of it to gain access to the inside and make a baffle then pack the rest with fuel cell foam .
this will do two things . the 1st keep fuel around the pickup and 2nd the foam to stop 6.3 LBS a Gal. of fuel sloshing back and forth.
this will make the car feel more stable . you can feel the difference if you just take a fuel tank and put a few Gal's of fuel in it holding it in your hands and tip the tank back and forth .
i did do the rear camber adjusters for the rear control arms last season when we were doing the chump events .
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: