Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1976 921E build

Question for the group

I will be doing a lot of body work on my 912E and was wondering what people are doing regarding the galvanizing that was done? In terms of after body work is done? Are you re-spraying the galvanize where you've removed it or leaving it without?

Thanks for your time.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

ok this is a question that gets way over asked about .
porsche like all other cars produced around this time started galvanizing they bodies .
the least little bit of sanding on the bare metal or media blasting will remove it .
it's not a big deal at all you just spray a coat ( no more then two coats ) of a quality epoxy or etch primer over the bare metal areas .
if the car has more then 12 to 14 Mil's of paint then the car should be stripped down to a bare or almost a bare state . that is about 1 repaint job . if it doesn't have more then that and the finish has no checking , cracking and failing paint then you should not strip the cars finish down to bare metal .
when picking a undercoat for the car ( undercoats are your primers not the black crap in the spray cans never use that crap on cars ) always use a quality 2 part product .
when it comes to how many coats for your epoxy or etch primers less is better .
all you want or need is one medium wet coat .
Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for your reply

sorry for asking a repeated question in terms of re-installing the galv after body work.

I will add I am very familiar with auto body / metal work. However a 1976 is the newest car I have ever worked on so I wasn't familiar with the galvi and if it really need to go back.

Last edited by VWLoosenuts; 11-16-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: