Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Help with accurate fuel tank finishing

Have someone dealing with refinishing '79 930 stock fuel tank... bottom side only. Tank is removed from car... old finished was stripped and bottom refinished. Color, sheen (it's glossy now) and texture (absence of "tank crinkle")... it's all wrong. He's agrees it's not right and is willing to do it over. But, the fellow seems lost now.

Thought I'd come here to gain some insight as to what media and techniques are applied to create a new finish that matches the old. Goal being to preserve the accuracy of the car's aesthetics (by using the correct materials & techniques.)

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Karl,

I did two threads on accurately reproducing shutz, undercoat, rockchip what ever you want to call it. The original undercoating was sold by Wurth. As I understand it Wurth did not manufacture the product but sourced from U-pol. The formula used in 79 is no longer available. The new formula is waterbased and the colors are way off. The shutz on the chassis was a beige while the fuel tanks were gray. Both products discolored over time. So what you are looking at now on the surface is not the original color. Below are the links to my threads. Lots of great input from fellow Pelicans.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/939550-shutz-color-match.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/942272-gas-tank-coating.html

Last edited by drcoastline; 12-25-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-25-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

with most of the wurth products they are not the makers of the products they buy other peoples products and put the wurth name on them and resell them . manufactures like U-pol , SEM and others supply wurth with there products and will put the wurth label on it .
3m was what porsche used to use for there chip guards both on the fuel tanks and under chassis .
when the VOC RULES COME OUT 3M WAS NOT COMPLIANT TO the new VOC rules so 3m stopped making the beige color and the color ( blue gray )for the fuel tanks .
what i had to do for my shop was match the two colors .
the gray blue of the fuel tanks and the beige of the chassis .
no matter how good you think your fuel tank is it has faded out some .
both the colors are not hard to color match but you will have to play with tinting them some to get the proper color and gloss right .
trying to match a top half of a tank to the lower half is not worth the time .
get the u-pol chip guard and tint it . i tint it with enamel . the reason is it will hold the proper gloss for many many years
Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Presume the 3M is not compliant only in the US as still the go to product here for accurate coating of tank and chassis
Old 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

my guess is even over seas they do not and never did offer the blue gray for the fuel tanks as it was porsche only and never sold by 3m to the end user .
i would be very surprised if you could even get a solvent based chip guard even in the UK .
Old 12-28-2017, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Certainly can, just finished our 66’ concours and bought the 3M product and gun direct from them, bags were not cheap but the quality is superb
Took 2 bags for the tank and 10 for the rest of the car

https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/3m-two-part-sprayable-grey-sealer-250ml.html#sthash.5hCsjekR.dpbs
Old 01-07-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

that color is not a match to the OE porsche fuel tanks blue gray color .
we tried it in my shop it's missing the blue tint in the color .
many years ago prosche offered the proper fuel tank coating but it's long gone now for more then 20 years .
you would get it in a metal can that was the same looking can's as 3m but with the proche label on it .

because of this the next thing is you take the u-pol and tint it to match the blue gray color of the oe porsche colored tanks . this will give you a dead nuts match to the color and texture .
Old 01-08-2018, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: