Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
painting tail of 89 Carrera

Hello all,

I just want to respray the black portions of the whale tail. Tape off the red and rattle can the black with a matt black.

How do i tape off the corners getting a nice clean round corner?

Many Thanks

Chris
89 Carerra
Old 01-23-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

use a fine line masking tape i personally like the green fine line tape . they have blue but it's to stretchy for my liking . the green in 1/16" will work .
mask it off then scuff it with a red pad or gray scuff pad . unmask it then remask it .
if you get lazy and don't remask it the edge will look fuzzy .
i would also opt for a two part paint not a single part spray can . a two part or paint with a hardener will last many years a single part you will be repaint it in a year or two .
if you go to eastwood look up 2k aerosol blacks .
Old 01-23-2018, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Thanks for the detail. Is it remasked because the edges get fuzzy during the scuffing process?

Next stop is eastwood. Why not do it right.

Chris
Old 01-24-2018, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

yes your going to need to sand right up to the masking tapes edge so it will screw up the tape some and the tape will get some sanding crap stuck to it .
Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I ordered the Eastwood 2k aerosol (Ratrod matt black). I talked to a person there and that was what they recommended. Going to home depot for the tape and scuff pad. Now need a warm weekend to get it done.

Chris.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Home Depot won't likely have the proper scuff pads or the referenced 'fine line' tape...both are usually only found at an auto parts store, and even then, only likely at one that also sells autobody supplies to include a paint line.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

home depot will have the scuff pads but not the fine line that you can order from eastwood too i'm guessing .
Old 01-25-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pcar View Post
Home Depot won't likely have the proper scuff pads or the referenced 'fine line' tape...both are usually only found at an auto parts store, and even then, only likely at one that also sells autobody supplies to include a paint line.
Find a paint jobber or like 73pcar says a parts store that is heavy into paint mixing.

I like the rattle can 39143 SEM Trim Black. It will work fine.

However, when I painted my fuchs, I used a Glasurit 22 line paint with a flattener that came out spectacular.

You are talking $20 for SEM but a boat load for Glasso. Not so much the money, just fiddling with the flattener to get the right hue. Well, maybe the money too. You have to buy the hardener and it's by the quart. Ouch.

I have the formula buried in these forums somewhere if you are a glutton for punishment.

Your paint was rubbed thin by a buffer, guessing.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 01-25-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Old 01-25-2018, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: