Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
Cleaning / Polishing rear Porsche reflector

Hey guys-

The rear reflector on my new-to-me 82 SC has a film built up on it (see pic). I've been trying to remove it with a soft plastic putty knife, which works, but takes FOREVER. Some of the other bulb lenses have a similar film or could just use a good polishing. Any suggestions for methods/tools/products to help? I know the reflectors can get pretty pricey so I'm trying to be careful when cleaning. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

that is a coating to protect the plastic from UV rays. you will find the same thing on head lamps too.
sand it off get your self a head lamp repair kit that has the clear for the lights with it.
you could just sand the coating off with some 600 grit then with 800 then with 100 sand it again with 1500 and buff it up but with out any UV protection on the plastic it will dull out again very quickly. you really don't want to sand it with 600 then just jump to 1500 because you may see some sanding marks. at times we have had to even start with 400 grit to sand off the coating.
most kits come with every thing you need but we have all the products so we only buy the clear for the lamps. we also use a water based compound like presta . most compounds are oil based this is not a good compound to use as the oil will give you fisheyes when you clear the lamp. do not use a regular automotive type clear it will not stick to smooth plastic use the clear that is made for head lamps.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
OK, so just to make sure I understand I should sand it progressively to remove the film and then use clear from a headlight kit to protect it against UV rays? In the headlight kit, is the clear a spray-on or something else?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
This headlight UV clear coat has high ratings but apparently needs to be reapplied fairly often. Anyone have a suggestion for the best product to use? Hopefully one that does not have to be reapplied regularly?

https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Headlight-Restoration-Block-Clear/dp/B01KIVYE6G
Old 04-09-2018, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

there are a few good ones the 3m kit is pretty good so is mothers.
i like the U.S. chemical spray max two part kit the best.
it lasts a very long time.
the down side is it's a spray not a wipe so you have to mask off the lights or take them out. not really a big deal but it does add more labor.
being a spray you can't get a run in it or you have to start all over again with sanding to take it off.
dust is another problem with it the wipes seam to dry faster then the spray.
being wet and open to the air for a little longer your could get more dust if you don't have a clean place to spray. we just put the lights or the car in the booth when we use it so it's not a problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Gretz,

how did this project work out for you? I plan on tackeling this myself this weekend and want to do it correctly the first time. Thanks
Old 05-24-2018, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I wish I could tell you! I haven't actually done it yet. I planned on it and then I had some mechanical tasks that took precedence over the aesthetic stuff. So it'll be a bit before I get to it. Please share your experience!
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Speedster, how did it go for you?

I just used the 3M version to do my turn signal lens and it worked pretty well. I wanted to make sure I could do a decent job before I tried it on the reflector, since the reflector is a very expensive replacement if something goes wrong.

The 3M version I used (https://www.amazon.com/3M-39175-Heavy-Headlight-Restoration/dp/B072FQMY3Z) seems to work pretty well. The clear coat wipes on easily and I didn't getting any streaking, although it was a pretty small surface.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys. I finally got around to cleaning up the rear reflector. I used the Meguiars heavy duty headlight restoration kit. It worked pretty well. I spent most of the time with the 1000 grit, ensuring that I removed all of the old build up and coating. Once I was done with that everything else went pretty quickly. Definitely a huge improvement for only $20-$30. Check out the photo below for before and after. Here is the product I used:

Meguiar's G2980 Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M2D763D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YJHrBbE5BY880

Last edited by Gretz; 07-11-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
for some reason it looks like Photoshop on my phone lowered the resolution of the before and after image. Here’s a better after pic. (Check the first post for a before pic) sorry about the dirty car, and yes, the tail lamp lenses are in the house ready to be replaced!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

looks good nice job
Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

There are a few good products available in the market. But I prefer using Polish and Sealer from TopCoat F11. It would help removing the micro scratches and Swirls that creates those films and yield better result.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: