Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing paint from Valve Covers

Previous owner must have had lot's of extra brake caliper paint!!

Painted cam shaft covers and chain covers with brake caliper paint.

Any secrets to removing the paint?

Should I spray with VHT clear when I have the parts clean?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Speedster, what have you tried so far? I'd think you should use aircarft stripper, a plastic scraper, scotchbrite pads and/or stainless steel wall and all sensible safety precautions. Once you've stripped them to perfection, I personally wouldn't use rattle can clear (not very durable); I left mine natural and they're fine three years later. If you do want them coated, maybe talk with Shaun at Tru-6 (frequent PP contributor) who is a serious coatings guru. Best of luck, John in CT
Old 05-26-2018, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Make sure you clean parts well after aircraft stripper. Rattle can paint is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Either use a 2 part clear, or have them powder coated or better yet ceracoated.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I haven't tackeled this project yet so thanks for the suggestion on the stripper. I forgot to mention - engine shroud and fan were also painted so it's a rather major project and I want to do itonce and do it right.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster911 View Post
I haven't tackeled this project yet so thanks for the suggestion on the stripper. I forgot to mention - engine shroud and fan were also painted so it's a rather major project and I want to do itonce and do it right.
Use the paint stripper on the fan and valve covers, after you've washed/rinsed them good, clean them again with acetone.

Regarding the shroud, if you're not used to dealing with the stripper, then simply sand it down with 180 and go back over w/220. You don't have to strip this bare you just want to scuff it down and feather any rough edges that are in the line of sight when installed.. prime it and shoot it.

Its fiberglass and if you leave the stripper on for too long or don't clean it well you wont be happy.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Speed... are parts on or off car?

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

currently on, I will take them off to clean.

So many projects are poping up around the house this year preventing me from working on my cars.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster911 View Post
currently on, I will take them off to clean.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot.

Get Jasco epoxy paint remover. The $29 per gallon stuff, but you can buy by the quart.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I can suggest you for fan and valve covers. There you can use paint strippers on them and once you've rinsed them good, clean them again with acetone.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: