Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
KYUKYU3

Garage
Respraying a bumper cover help

Hey all,

I am wondering you bumper repair/paint experts can help me.

I picked up a beat up 993 plastic bumper cover and splitters for nothing and want to get it resprayed do a few mods to delete the bumperette cut outs and license plate holes.

The bumper cover and splitters have a terrible respray job where you can clearly see someone tried to spray a section and not the entire bumper so there is overspray in a few places and orange peel where it was resprayed.

I used some 220 and a DA to strip the paint down to the primer so I know have a smoother surface to start with.

Should I continue removing the paint in the crevices or leave it on? There are no adhesion issues with the paint that is there.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Do all the modifications to the bumper first, then get everything to the primer, then repaint.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
Hey guys finished the refurbishment/refinishing of this cover. Ended up deleting the license holes, bumperette cut outs, and the cross bar.

For the license plate holes I used SEM problem plastic repair as my filler/adhesive to fill the holes, drywall fiberglass seam tape as a reinforcement.

For the larger sections I used pieces of plastic cut from a cracked splitter (same plastic as the bumper) and glued it/riveted it into the bumper as a backing. Came out better than expected.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It looks nice and even. Do you have to use a special primer and paint for over plastic and to cope with the flex and movement that happens with plastic bumpers?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
The finishmaster pro recommended I use the SEM products for the job. I brought in the bumper and they said I didn't need a flex agent in the primer since the bumper is semi rigid. So what I did was:

1. Strip the bumper down to the plastic. This was a royal PIA as there was way too many layers of paint.

2. Clean it well. I had a sem plastic prep solvent

3. Do the repairs and mods with the sem plastic repair

4. Block and feather the repair/mods. The sem plastic repair sanded really nice. I had to do a few tight coats of it on some of the transition areas to the surrounding areas to get no lines. I had bought a can of Evercoat polyflex that I was going to glaze with but ended up not having to use it.

5. A coat of sem high build primer. A coat of sem guide coat. Blocked it and found no issues. Topped it with another coat of the primer and blocked it again.

I spent way to many hours, but learned a lot through the experience. I learned to do drywall taping and cabinetry finishing a long time ago so some of those techniques helped me through this learning process.

Last edited by samurai_k; 09-09-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Old 09-09-2018, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: