Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Paint & Bodywork Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rust in floor pan - 71 Targa

I bought a 71 Targa a month or so ago. I knew it had some rust. I haven't dug through the whole car, mostly it's surface rust, but the worst of it is the drivers side floor pan is eaten up pretty good and sagging some. The rockers seem solid, but who knows. I need to get it up in the air and get a really good look at it. This will never be a concours car. It has fiberglass SC flares and FG front fenders. It is matching numbers engine with a decent interior. Mechanically, it seems pretty good with a newer clutch, master cyl and brake lines. Starter is new too.

My question is what is the price range that I would expect to have the floor pan repaired? Do I have to replace the whole thing (both sides)? I looked here on PP and it seems to be the only way to buy the pan is the whole front. What will a good shop do while repairing this? Brace it, etc?

I'm not a body guy and don't see anyway I can do this myself. I'm into the car at a pretty good price, the rust issue was part of the pricing. Can I drive it as is? I don't plan on ever driving in rain and it is garaged. Here is the best pic of the floor pan that I have.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's hard to tell what damage there is from the photos. But you can replace sections of the floor pans. As I recall replacements are sold as front and rear panels but not just a quarter of the floor. If you watch the for sale forum some times you can get a section from a car that is being parted out. From my experience if you need a repair to say the driver side floor you probabaly need some work to the same section on the passenger side so dig around a little.

I do not believe when replacing the floor pans the car needs to be braced so long as the rockers and central tunnel are still place.

Post some more pics of your car.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here's a pic of the car. I've since taken off the Gemballa rocker extentions:

I'll get some better pics of the underside.

So I would buy the front pan section, then cut it? They pan sections on PP are only about $250. That surprised me.

Tom
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice car. Personally I think it was a good move to take off the rocker.

Yes you can buy the panel and cut it to create a patch. You could always get a sheet of sheet metal and create your own patches. That is what I did as the rust in my floor was minimal The largest patch only being about 4"X4".
Old 05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

with out looking at the hole rocker it's hard to say just how the best way to repair it would be ? if it's just a little spot a little patch can be fabbed up and welded in . if it is more that just a little spot then you may have to get a new rocker and section in a piece of it or weld in the hole new rocker floor piece . you need clean metal to weld to so some times as you start to remove the chip gaurd you start to find more rust that you did not see because the chip guard was covering it . porsches also tend to rust out in front of the rear wheels in top of the rockers . you can see the area with the rear wheels off the car and look in the wheel house to the the door jam area . if there is rust there it's not an ez fix . the way the QTR panel lays over the rocker there you can't get axes to it .
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
with out looking at the hole rocker it's hard to say just how the best way to repair it would be ? if it's just a little spot a little patch can be fabbed up and welded in . if it is more that just a little spot then you may have to get a new rocker and section in a piece of it or weld in the hole new rocker floor piece . you need clean metal to weld to so some times as you start to remove the chip gaurd you start to find more rust that you did not see because the chip guard was covering it . porsches also tend to rust out in front of the rear wheels in top of the rockers . you can see the area with the rear wheels off the car and look in the wheel house to the the door jam area . if there is rust there it's not an ez fix . the way the QTR panel lays over the rocker there you can't get axes to it .
Thanks for the reply. I'll look in those places. The rust you see in the picture is all on the drivers floor. The rocker itself seems solid. I know that may not mean that it's good, but it's where I'm at right now. I'm getting it up on a lift today and hope to take some better pics.

Tom
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Exotic Vehicles are here

Garage
Tom,

Here is the guy did it in Ireland, just to have an idea...

Classic Car Workshop

Classic Car Workshop

My 2 c,
-Y
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well I don't have a good pic, but I did get a good luck. The drivers front pan is rusted out about half way around on the outside and front of the pan. I also found some rust perforation at the rear of the pan on the passenger side all the way at the back where it starts to curve in around the front of the wheel well.

I read and seen where people are taking out the entire floor pan and then spot welding everything in just like factory. Is there really a need to do this? My car is already a bit of a bastard. Can I not do it in a more simple manner?

I'm in the market for a floor pan. Now I need to decide new or used. Or maybe I'll drive it all summer and worry about it in the fall!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

in most cases it's just better to replace the hole pan half . so what your saying is the inner rocker is just fine with no rust ? that is were the pan welds up to the rocker (inner) .
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

A friend of mine works for a nationally know muscle car restorer that has a shop locally. He recommended one of their sub's that does good work to look at my car. I took it by there last week and he said the rockers are solid as is the front right (passenger side). He suggested that I get the front and rear floor pans and he would use them to patch in what is needed in the front left and right rear. His rate is $35/hour plus materials. He thinks the job will run around $2k, not counting the floor pans that I will buy. He said he can make it look factory or do it well, but so that you can tell that it's not factory. The second way is what he recommended because it will cost me less. The first way will just take more time.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: