Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil in tach cable

I just had my tachometer re-built and the re-builder said I had some oil in my tach. He advised a new seal back at the engine and to clean up the cable. I know how to change the seal, but I do not know how to clean the cable. Will the inner cable slide out of the outer sleeve? From what end? Can I blow WD40 down the cable to get the oil out?
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you pulled it off the pump to see if the little plastic washer/spacer is there?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have attached a photo/diagram of the tach drive area. What is the white washer you are talking about? Does the lack of this washer cause leaking into the cable?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
They sell those cables 2 ways. You can get the insert separate pull the old one out and put the new one in. It has a nylon type washer for the oil pump end. They also sell the entire cable with the insert in it. The easy way is to do the insert which I did but apparently they have to be matched or they will screw your tach up eventually. Mine lasted 2 months and the tach went bad.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

This is a new one from Stoddards. You can see the part Iím talking about. I never used this because I went to an electronic tach instead. Iíll sell you this one)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Les, I'm not particularly excited to change the whole tach cable system because of a missing plastic washer. My car is in winter storage so I cannot check and see if that plastic washer is there or not. In April I will check and see if that washer is missing. If it is gone and if I cannot get a washer to fit, I will contact you and maybe we can agree on an appropriate price. In hindsight, I should have converter to an electronic tach, but it is a bit late now.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Well the insert might work for you. The person that told me an insert would fail wanted 800 for an electronic tach. I was headed that way anyway because I want to go full flow oil filter. I was to lazy to put in the new cable housing in the pic. I’ll have this if you end up wanting it down the line.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

install part 40 and 41 and you should be fine. I had the same on mine. the oil that is left in the cable will prevent it from getting stuck
Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: