Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Changeover in demographics of 356 owners? Is it happening?

I am a fine artist. Decades ago I also did a picture book on 356's and went on a couple 356 club tours in SoCal. My impression was that 80% of the owners were over 60 but last week in Malibu at the cars 'n coffee at Malibu Village (Cross Creek and PCH) I saw five or six 356's arrive (including the real Dean Jeffries custom or a copy) all driven by guys in late 20s or 30s. Has there been a changeover in ownership and am I seeing sudden mushrooming interest in 356's? I only have a few Porsche 356 paintings but would make more if I thought there was new interest (I'm reachable by my forum name at google mail).

PS I am not an ageist, over 60 myself but as a writer interested in demographics of car owners for instance Chevrolet was forced to go mid engine when they discovered the average age of front engined Corvette owners was approaching 69. Now with ne Corvette they are meeting owners in their 40s.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

forgot to show the work, There's a few pictured here but the email is wrong, it's my name here at google, My next one will be the Zagato built 356s being made recently, I'll posy [ictures of the car I saw in Malibu last month

https://mycarquest.com/2017/04/historian-reveals-obsession-porsche-356.html
Old 12-05-2020, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hello, I went to the big 356 meet up last year in San Clemente at the golf course, several hundred 356's. Nearly every owner was over 60 and nearly every car was restored. I have 2 unrestored 356's, a '56 and a '59, I just drive them everywhere but that's not typical for these cars as you probably know. Most people over-restore them, have $150k-$300k+ tied up in them, and only drive them a few times a year. That's generally not the profile of someone in their 20's and 30's or even 40's. I don't see a shift in ownership, but that's my $.02.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I cannot definitely say one way or another, however, the few 356 owners I see are still old men. I bought my 356 as a 24 year old kid looking for a used sports car. I'm now 78 years old. My impression is that younger drivers are not in the least bit interested in cars with less total displacement than almost one big block cylinder and HP that is less than a motorcycle. They are very impressed with the optics, however, I think they see it as a show car, not to be driven. In other words, it's not a fun to drive car for them. I have noticed that ownership demographics do seem to be leaning toward woman. Woman seem to find the car irresistible. They find it beautiful, attention getting and not overpowering. Of course woman are also outliving men and end up with their husband's 356, however, they keep it for themselves and actually drive it. The depressing part for me is that when a cute women comes up to me at a show, I find that she's there to talk about the car. I'm not really in the picture anymore. Its all about the car now.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I did not see a woman driving one.I think few young women can drive a manual. I'll post pictures shot at Malibu Village if the event goes on today. When I tried to post a picture earlier it did not go up so maybe they are too high resolution. Here's a story from 3 years ago that has some of the art. You can write me at my forum moniker at gmail to see more (the email address in the story is old)

https://mycarquest.com/2017/04/historian-reveals-obsession-porsche-356.html

Los Angeles is set to go on lockdown if the numbers go up but only starting midnight Sunday.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibucarart View Post
My impression was that 80% of the owners were over 60 but last week in Malibu at the cars 'n coffee at Malibu Village (Cross Creek and PCH) I saw five or six 356's arrive (including the real Dean Jeffries custom or a copy) all driven by guys in late 20s or 30s. Has there been a changeover in ownership and am I seeing sudden mushrooming interest in 356's?
Oh that's easy, Daddy finally let them have the keys!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-06-2020, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
things change. but 356's are pretty much the same... many like-new (or beyond new, or "reimagined")... still some beaters blasting around (fewer by the day). they never did appeal to the masses... & don't now. why should they be in the hands of today's youth? something wrong w/ Boxsters & Caymans? or in anyones? the production line's shut down. there's a line of polite buyers of all kinds awaiting our departure. good luck to 'em unwrapping my hands off the wheel.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I have owned my Speedster for 17 years and Iím 42. I have noticed more younger guys driving 356ís. In my opinion I do not think the younger guys first Porsche is a 356. They most likely have a new Porsche and then get the bug for more.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Its a hard call and I don't think there's a definitive answer short of taste, or what an individual decides they want to try. Especially considering the cost of entry for a nice 356 (depending upon the model) is equal to or more than most modern and far more capable Porsches.

I owned my first 356 (64 SC cab) in my mid 20's, and had owned 2 911s prior. I traded that car for a 72 911E and cash, and bought it back 10yrs later only to sell it again in 3yrs after that. In the meantime, I had 2 other 356s, one of which (an outlaw) I've owned now for roughly 30yrs.

Anyway, in todays vintage car atmosphere (notice I didn't say market), I think more or less the younger crowd seems to gravitate more to what they've heard, or been told, was now cool, as opposed to being a real enthusiast of the marque or the model. However, that's just my observation.

Either way, life's too short to drive boring cars!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-13-2020, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Air cooled VW bugs and bus have a cult following with a young, hipster crowd, 356 are mixing it up with that crowd. Cost is the stumbling block. But there is defiantly interest in them from a young crowd.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
I'm quite proud to say my daughter loves 356's (OK, in truth I'm proud of everything about her). She looks forward to receiving one of mine some day when she is established someplace in life. She is 22 now, away at university, and soon to be a graduate. She learned to drive in a stick. Her first car in high school was a '98 boxster, which I have kept for her so she may enjoy it again some day. She also really loves my wife's 3.2 targa.

A close 356 friend recently passed away much too early (cancer). His daughter inherited his 356. She enjoys it for what it is, as well as because it came from her father. She drives it well. Her fiancee fits the "young hipster" term above. He's pretty excited about the little yellow C coupe too.

The world is getting pretty damn boring. But there are still glimmers of hope, young people who enjoy real cars, have fun in life, and understand the true joy of the Porsche automobile.

Last edited by Daves911L; 01-27-2021 at 07:24 PM..
Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Some say the best way to add some class to any collection of cars is to add the 356.

Have been collecting since 1970.

The first 356 purchased out of a barn in Montana for very reasonable money, Ď63 Cab. The second 356 a Ď59 Coupe. Cost a bit more but this was less than 10 years ago and was road ready. The latest 356 is a Ď55 Speedster. A very good buy at the time considering the market of today. The Speedster needs love and some parts, but want to get to it in the coming months.

When visitors talk about the collection, they are easily most engaged with the 356 by both young and old. The runner up is the Ď63 Vette, a car we have had for 18 years. Longest continually owned car is the Ď62 Vette and have had that one for 50 years.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
I’ve never met a bunch of more stuck up asshats in my life whilst restoring two fifties era 356s. If I ever hear “proper and correct “ again I’ll projectile vomit.

Flagrant fake parts. Charlie White a consummate plagiarist/copier of vintage diagrams and documents and gets pissed off when called a concour weenie (CW). Get it?

I made money on the projects. 25 years ago. Never again. Nasty old men followed by nasty old rich *****es.

Some are nice but they stay silent.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Iíve never met a bunch of more stuck up asshats in my life whilst restoring two fifties era 356s. If I ever hear ďproper and correct ď again Iíll projectile vomit.

Flagrant fake parts. Charlie White a consummate plagiarist/copier of vintage diagrams and documents and gets pissed off when called a concour weenie (CW). Get it?

I made money on the projects. 25 years ago. Never again. Nasty old men followed by nasty old rich *****es.

Some are nice but they stay silent.
There is a portion of car guys I just can't stand to be around. There is nothing magic about these cars. They are just bits of steel, aluminum and plastic and they don't care what you do to them.

I was watching one of Jay Leno's vids at the Laguna Seca vintage (replica?) races in 2013 and I was just shaking my head at the Bugatti guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4cbEr2Ji1s&t=679s

at 8:20 he's talking about the body panels of his car and how he wanted to preserve them. They are magesium and I can understand his problem and the value of his car but as he was talking I was thinking I would just store the car in a dry garage away from the ocean and wipe the body panels with an oily rag once a month. His solution, after 3 years of research, was to plate them with nickel.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

i have two 356.... they are desireable. Trouble is the price point is keeping younger generation from getting them. the cost to buy them and restore them is somewhat higher then an air cooled 911.
WANTED: 1967 Transmission #103586
1967 Transmission #200082
1969 Engine#6195922
1969 transmission#7194313
1969 transmission#7195495
Old 02-03-2021, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
It's all about price. When you can get a decent or pretty well sorted air cooled 911 for $35 or $40k, why would a youngster buy a slow, old, 356 for double the price?

As an old codger, find me a decent 356 for that price and I'd buy 2. I'm at a stage in my life where driving fun is more important than driving fast. The young guys still want fast.
2020 M2 CS
Old 02-20-2021, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

One of you sell me (a 29 year old) a 356 coupe for as much as you got it back when you were around my age and I'll gladly daily drive it in New England.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: