Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sebring Exhaust Pix Pushrod Engine

I just received my new stainless steel Sebring exhaust from Karmann Konnection and thought some other 356 owners might like to see a few shots of this before it's mounted. I couldn't find anything online about experiences with this exhaust so I just took the chance. It seems only one company is offering anything like this. It looks great and is really lightweight so I'm off to a good start. It will be installed on the 912 engine that is being rebuilt for my 1958 356A. It won't actually see any action for a couple of months but I will post some feedback after living with it for awhile.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That is a sweet looking system. How bad was postage? Please let us know your thoughts once your car is up and running.

'61 356B Coupe (Kate), '62 356B Cabriolet (Hannah)
'74 VW Kombi (Rex), '84 928S (Louise), '98 996 Cabriolet (Babs)
Old 04-12-2006, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
interesting When I was with Andy Prill awhile back at one of his Tec meets we talked about these and he pointed out the weight issue with these as they are only ( at the end of the day ) hanging all that weight on the studs in the head..

Plus the back pressure I think was an issue. BUT I wounder if the design has now been changed because you say how light it is. And I do remeber them being fairly heavy..

I will will also be interested in what comes of it once you have it on the car.. Interesting..

There a few of the lads that have these here in the UK and they are fans of them.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just weighed the Sebring exhaust and it's right around 13lbs total. I did have a hard time finding any real world experiences with this exhaust so I am taking a bit of a chance it seems. Do you remember what the back pressure issues might be or the problems associated with the issues? I actually ordered my full flow oil system from Andrew Prill (for the same engine). I'm using the system he uses on his cars and engine rebuilds but doesn't typically offer for retail. It tooks me months of pestering him with emails to get him to round up all the pieces and ship them out. I do hope I don't have any problems with this Sebring exhaust - it was expensive.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
yeah it's funny Andy pointed out anumber of things and then the next thing we see all his race engines have them on so..... pot kettle and black... are the words..

I will in time catch up with him later in the year and I will pin him down and ask him as he has now got a foot in two camps..

Knowing Andy he will slither out of what ever I say to him once he is cornered over it

I am sure it will be good ( the exhaust ) and like we both say he does use them for the race cars he builds there was an issue with back pressure / lenght of the tubes and I will ask Gavin when I speak with him next.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What happened with this exhaust? I'm about to order a new exhaust. Should I get this one?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I wish I could give you an update on the exhaust but I've yet to try it. My mechanic is fantastic but overwhelmed with work. In the meantime he has rebuilt the engine in my 911 (I just got it back this week and it's running so fantastic I can barely stand it). In any event - the Sebring exhaust looks great and is surprisingly light in weight. I will not see any action with it until Spring 2007. It should be nice with the other upgrades I'm doing with the 912 engine in my A Coupe (Shasta P&C's, Scat Crank, Elgin Cam, Lightened flywheel, Andrew Prill full flow oil system, etc). I WILL post a review on the exhaust once I can form an opinion. Shayne
Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Just out of curiostiy how expensive do you consider expensive?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

"Expensive" is a cheesy way of saying I haven't quite made friends with the idea of spending $1200 on an exhaust system that is relatively unknown or reported on.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I just spent that on a 930 for a muffler. I'll be replacing mine on the 356 soon and that looks sweet.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
how you getting on with your new toy?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

What a small world, Shayne. I was just searching for some info on these cool looking old style racing exhausts, and this thread popped up. Does anyone else make one in the US?

I currently have the Bursch on the Speedster. Sounds great, but it would be nice to have something slightly more aggressive

http://www.356registry.org/Tech/muffler_performance.html

So, have you fired it up yet? I know you're getting close...I want it to sound like a 550 Spyder, without the 4 cam

1968 Polo Red 911L Barn Find 5/6/06
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/281343-1968-911l-barn-find.html
PCA Potomac Region

"There's one thing that gets more looks than a new 911............an old one."
Old 04-30-2007, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Karmann exhaust

I have been running one of these on my Speedster for a few years, they look and sound great. I wish they were available over here. One good point, I recently had an engine built up by Steve Schmidt at Honest Engine and he was impressed by the power that a motor running the exhaust could generate. From his perspective it was one of the better exhausts of that type.

59 Porsche 356 A Coupe Outlaw
61 Porsche 356 B Coupe Outlaw
89 Porsche 964
Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Shayne,

Any feedback on that beautiful exhaust yet? How's the car coming?

Inquiring minds want to know...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=281343
PCA Potomac Region

Old 06-28-2007, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

14 months later....still waiting

I wish I could say I've been out driving with my 356 and listening to the super sweet sounds of my new Sebring exhaust....but I've still got nothing! I do believe it's VERY close to completion and that it will be a fantastic driving and running 356. Mechanically speaking it will be new. It started off as an amazingly clean and rust free real deal California A Coupe with a host of "upgrades"(4 wheel disc brakes, 912 engine, 741 trans). It's now had a full rebuild of every mechanical system (engine, trans, axles, all bearings, brakes, all cables and related). I've added Andrew Prills in-house racing full flow system that he installs on the engines he builds and races (not offered commercially - but if you ask nicely...), Scat Crank (my original crank had some issues), Shasta P&Cs, Elgin Cam and the Sebring exhaust. I have complete confidence in my mechanic and the 2.7 he rebuilt for my 911 runs beautifully. I'm picking up a disc today loaded with some pictures. I will post some this afternoon under this thread if anyone is interested in giving them a peep. Henry - I still want to see that Speedster - please send me a message if you are passing by Dillsburg anytime. Here is a pic of the car taken shortly after I first got it.

Shayne
Old 06-28-2007, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

356A mechanical restoration pix

Here are a few pix of the on going mechanical resto. If there is any interest...I will post more as I go through them. I don't have any of the engine yet. The last picture is one taken BEFORE any work was done.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
looking good I need to do some thing with my car..

any way I am interested in the Euro exhaust listed on the 356 reg link I have a Dansk exhaust and I am thinking it is what they call this..

I have found it to be very good, I am sure low end it is not as good but to be honest I sit mainly at 3000-4000 on the freeway ( motorway ) and it runs very well I am impressed but later I will be looking at making the out let alittle smaller to just try and quite down the car abit.. I mean on a long run Jo and I are deff!!!

I have sound proofed the engine bay and it seams to make little difference.. it is loud .. alot of people think the car is a 911 when they don't know it's me and then I turn up and they are surprised..

But with Baby coming soon it has to be quite so might have to be the Bursh again.. I have a new one on the shelf.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

GREAT looking car! That work looks to be first rate. Can't wait to see/hear it. I have the same Bursch exhaust you initially had on your car.

Speedster is doing well. I'm slowly extending the range I'll drive it as I get to know the car better. I plan on going to the Swap again in your area in Sept.

Please post more pics when your car back on the road.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=281343
PCA Potomac Region

Old 07-07-2007, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Sebring Exhaust

Would anyone be interested in a reproduction of this made here in the US? My company has the capabilities to do so and I would be willing to produce them if there is enough interest. Let me know, send me an email to rturk3@gatech.edu. Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Engine Pix to Match the Sebring exhaust - SOON!

Most of the loose ends are being tied up this week in the hopes that I will be driving my 356 A to the Porsche swap at Hershey this Saturday. It really looks like we are on schedule to make that a reality. The engine (from a 912) has Duane Spencer's Shasta Piston and Cylinders (Durabar), Elgin Cam, lightened flywheel, Sebring Exhaust, Andrew Prill designed race proven Full Flow Oil filtration, Scat Crank and a few other goodies.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: