Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I always say go with a real steel car. The coupes are still somewhat reasonable to buy in project form, and if you are going to do an outlaw you need not worry about expensive interiors and matching numbers. After the project is done you will be happy you did.

I stretched to buy mine for about the same as what a speedster kit would have cost, and now after two years it is starting to look right.

-R

Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Very good looking A. Did you install the GT bumper decos yourself? I did mine....what a job that was. Your car looks great.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the compliments.

Yeah, I did the decos myself. I think they look so much better than the stock trim. Purchased, shaped to bumpers, had polished, then installed to painted bumpers. Getting the ends right wasn't easy. Getting the annealed ones helped.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

One more Outlaw

Emory Built '63 Outlaw Coupe done as a GS pushrod clone: plastic side windows, Speedster seats, roll bar, Golde roof, 1720 with lightened flywheel, hot cam, Bieker Solexes, polished drums, louvered engine lid, BBAB gearing , leather window pulls , sport exhaust and Carrera exhaust faring. A blast to drive! Just about my dream 356 street car and handles so well.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

my newly acquired little outlaw
http://www.qsm.com.au/show_wallpaper.php?id=56

Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Your new Outlaw

That is a gem. I see the Emory Outlaw logo on the page too.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Nice Stuff!!

I'll be un-mothballing my OutLaw before the month is out. Unfortunately it won't be to start the restoration, but only to move it to my new storage location. :-(

I'll be sure to post pics as I'm sure you'll find it unusual.

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

teleski42
the car carries the badge ont he engine grille.seemed appropriate to add it to the wallpapers

onboost
will you tease us with details in the interim ?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Q..

You had to ask... huh? I'll share the whole story as I know it!

I've owned the little gem since 87.. I've been creeping around since then buying spare parts etc.. (in between dealing work, divorce, life, and my other car projects) and waiting for the right time to start this project.

I first saw this car one night in the early 80's as I was cruising on the beltway with a buddy in his 911.. we came up on it from behind and thought it was another 911 because of its flared fenders and 911 tail lights! It turned out to be a 356..we flagged the guy over and stood by the side of the road check this thing out.

The owner told us that he had purchased it several years prior while detailed in Italy as part of the Foreign Service. The car is a 58A Coupe, and according to the then owner, it supposedly was owned by some old Italian guy that worked for the factory in the early days. He retired, and took the 58 back to Italy where he opened a restoration shop and toyed with and modified his 356 in his spare time. This guy came along at some point, bought it.. drove it around Italy, and shipped it back to the US.

Ok, so a few years pass and I get a call one day from a friend saying that his uncle had bought a Porsche "you know, like the old one you had..only its not a conv and its wider in the back" (he was referring to the 64SC Cabrio which I previously had).. he goes on to tell me that the uncle Tommy had bought an old Porsche at a tax sale auction and that he needed my help because it didn't run. A month or so went by and uncle and I never got together.

So, one day I stop by to pick-up some parts from Carl Cordell at RennSport over in VA, and guess what's sitting in the parking lot. Now mind you.. I see the car and I recognize it from years earlier on the beltway that night. Carl and I got to talking, and he tells me that this guy just bought it at an auction, dropped it off, and wants to know what it'll take to make it run.. I think for a minute and ask, "would his name happen to be Tommy?" He said yes it is.. and he'll probably want to sell the car when he hears what it needs! I left my number for uncle Tommy and the rest is history
Its a 58A with the original interior, including headliner still intact, carpets are worn, and original steering wheel was long gone. Its even still has the bench seat in the rear.

The rear has flares and 911 taillights with early 911 two piece bumpers and center tag panel. What I thought was neat is the fact that the guy (the old Italian) made the rear light housings by hand.. the separators for each bulb were fabbed and welded (brazed) into the housing.. the way the beads are flowed and lay down are a work of art! Remember, they didn't have Mig welders back when this was done!

The rear deck has four grills grafted into it! I don't like the look of it and it will be changed out to the Carrera GT grill that I scored at a swap meet (Ski Round Top which is now Hershey) in the early 90's. The left front fender had a fully functional "C" gas lid grafted on in the same location as that of a 911. It opens from inside the cockpit just as it should.

Out in front the hood handle had been shaved, and just on either side of the hood next to each headlight a set of Cibie or Marchel rally lights were mounted. The lower nose of the car I believe was cut and rolled then hammered to form a flat lower edge to which a spoiler was fabbed and mounted. Now get this.. the spoiler is steel, with a layer of fiberglass and it designed and styled like that of the early 911S!

So, its been moth-balled while I've been collecting a few trick goodies and needed parts. I have the original motor and trans, plus modified 912 motor which will probably go in the car with a spare 741 gear box. Still holding out for a few other odds & ends before I get started on the resto. Things like an SC disc brake set-up, maybe a set of throttle bodies for EFI, some more time and a lot more money.. just the basics right?

Hey, I apologize for being so long winded about this.. but just wanted to share this with some folks that could appreciate this find. I get excited when I see some of the others and get to at least talk about mine! I mean, I've had the thing for soooooo long, back before the outlaw thing was such a rage! As matter of fact, when this car sat on the lot a Rennsport, some of the Registry guys stopped by, made fun of it, and took a few photos which they printed in the Registry calling them "spy -photos" of the new Porsches 956! Funny thing is, nobody bothered to crawl around the car to see that it had NO rust! None.. only oxidation where the lacquer paint had chipped of flecked-off.. which of course I treated and the car has been in dry storage since 87.

That's it for now...
RGruppe #180
Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Biggest issue on the fiberglass replicas is if you are in state or country that treats them as new cars. The engine then needs to comply with current smog laws.

The VW or Porsche air cooled engine doesn't make it.....then you either have to stand in line and try and get one of the limited number of exemptions (500/year in CA) or install an engine that doesn't look or sound like a Porsche.....

I was lucky on my Speedster replica. I got an exemption, used a 2180 VW with FI and a turbo....
Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Onboost how are you doing?

I'm a big fan of all things outlaw/renegade/coach built.

Here is my take on it

Old 07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

and here

Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

bt1211,

How are ya man? I too like mine to be a bit out of the norm. As I tell my friends, "I don't own anything stock!"

That's a hot looking Ghia, I really like the flavor of the treatments. How far along are you at this point? What's under the hood?

Schweet!!!

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

It was going to be a Shuby but I have a 1915 thats going in.

I'm saving the shuby engine for a 912 shell that I have. It will be a full auto and a turbo from a '04.

That last pic is not at the best angle.

This Ghia/356 hybrid has 944 trailing arms and brakes I'll try and find a pic.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

more pics, I used the old Porsche as a guide
Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

try again

Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Item # 130135639067...I just listed my Speedster replica on eBay....
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
I just saw this again this morning, built in South Laguna, less than a year to build, 300k miles on the car, he has owned since the 70s. 79 930 with 3/4 inch wider rear fenders, really a great looking car. Even has air. Two extra fans to suck in air.

Oh yeah, Trump won
I was wrong again but I will not apologize, I am a little man, Mike/satman
Old 08-04-2007, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Amazing...!! And nice attention to detail!
RGruppe #180
Old 08-04-2007, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Here's my Outlaw... I've owned it since 1971 and its currently starting its second restoration

[/img]

Last edited by JackWalter; 09-05-2007 at 06:39 PM..
Old 09-05-2007, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: