Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looking for 1959 Coupe VIN: 105630

I've got the original deposit papers from Jack McAfee Motors and pictures of the car.

It was my dad's. Love to be able to get these to the current owner (if the car still exists).

Jay
Old 04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Forget that! If it were my dads car, I would make the current owner an offer.

Good luck though. If you find it that would be a really cool story.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check the online database at Porsche serial numbers start page
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I already checked the 356 registry for the OP. It does not have that number on file. If it started life near calabasas and never left, chances are good it is still alive and kicking! My '57 resided in riverside pretty much all its life and is still healthy as can be @ 55
Old 04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hey all -

I have the car Jay is looking for (VIN 105630). I've already sent him a PM but I can briefly tell the history of the car (what I know, anyway).

My dad worked for McDonnell Douglas for years, and after the merger (McDonnell with Douglas), they moved to Huntington Beach. Living in El Segundo, my dad figured he should get a more economical car for the commute. The 356 was sitting outside of his workplace one day with a "for sale" sign on it. The rest is history. This was in 1969.

I took possession of the car about 2 weeks ago. I was just googling "Porsche VIN 105630" for giggles, and look what I find.

Just yesterday I was looking over some old registration slips that have Jay's dad's name on them. This is too much.

Perry

PS - it isn't for sale.
PPS - the original motor is long gone. In its place was installed a '60 1600 Super. This happened around 1971. The original 1600 threw a rod with my brother at the wheel while the folks were on vacation. I don't remember but I'm sure he caught hell for that.

Last edited by Perry_P; 07-22-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
FYI: Regarding tying together the past with current tub owners.....I just recently received almost all of the original papers including owner manual, service coupon book, tons of repair invoices, plus all the car transaction invoices including the original when my tub was bought new! All previous owner's names, pricing, trade-ins....options and their prices. Yes - this is a real bonanza since when I bought her in '05 it only had a handful of photos in the glove box showing body work and respray at some point in her life (which those were pretty cool to have definitely).

I'm going to do a write up for the registry when I get time. This type of situation is rare and should be celebrated!

Oh the circumstances - one of the previous owners in Virginia brought all of this into a 356 shop in the area - which was owned by a registry person - who looked me up in the database.

Good for you Jay to reach out and congrats Perry on what you are about to receive. Please keep us posted!

Regards,
Baz
Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow! This is fantastic.

Here are some pictures and story about the car: http://www.tigersunited.com/articles/sl-mc/stevelaifman4.asp

Note that I'm starting you on page 4, where the 356 starts. But, I leave it to you if you want to go back to page 1.

You will see on Page 4 how my dad ordered the car new, black/red - and Jack McAfee called to say his car was in - but it was black/green. My dad always insisted they intentionally tried to foist the "ugly" black/green 356 on him because someone else wanted his black/red. In short order, they "found" his black/red one. Of interest, I recently got in touch with Jack McAfee's son and he confirmed that that kind of stuff happened all the time!!!!

I see you still have those mirrors on and the full bumpers. How great.

I'll reach out to you via email too.

Jay
Old 07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Outstanding. This is just phenomenal. Thanks.

Perry
Old 07-22-2012, 03:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So, Perry and I have touched base off line through emails.

There is one thing I'd like to point out, for all you black/green 356 owners. I spent my life thinking that black/green 356s are ugly. Dad has said so as long as I can remember. But, I never saw a black/green 356 myself until about 5-8 years ago, parked at Carmel-by-the-Sea during the Concours/Historics weekend. It was a 356A. And, I'm sorry to say to my dad, it was probably about the best looking 356 I've ever seen!

Now in defense of my dad, when he ordered his black/red 356, he was a young aerospace engineer who raced his Jaguar XK120. So, he wanted sporty/fast looking. At that age, I probably would have thought exactly the same - as I have always wanted a black/red MG TC. But, by the time I saw that black/green 356, I was a bit older, and perhaps appreciated things other than strictly racy looking. The black/green 356 has sort of a classic, rich look to it.

Obviously, Perry has indicated that the 356 is not for sale. That's ok - for now ;-)
My wife would kill me if another car showed up. I'm glad it is in good hands, with a loving family history of its own.

Jay
Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
SWMBO

Garage
Fantastic story you guys!

Having sought out the previous owners of Miss Daisy my 61 T5 and got some old maintenance records and diarys I know how it feels to find out some of the cars history. when I bought Miss daisy all I got was the car, and a spare engine and other bits but not even previous rego papers or the ignition key, no idea on her history other than she had been parked for 30 years and a parking receipt for her last outing in the side pocket, it's great to get history about your car, they do have a personality, and to get their history makes their personality even more ... Complete.
2000 HSV GPW (goes fast,everytime!)
2007 Dodge Durango - Daily Driver - mfhc
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: