Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Whats it worth?

Hello Everyone,

Back in the mid 70's I bought a 56 356A Speedster (for $400). Since then the car has been sitting in an unheated garage in the Midwest. Car was running and drivable when parked. Very rusty. Engine (not the original one but Porsche not VW ) is out of car and dismantled. Some Exterior chrome missing, interior redone but not quality, no bumpers, rust where you'd expect. I see what these bring on the high end. What's the low end figure? I have been bombarded with offers from people wanting to buy it site unseen but I don't have a clue as to value. Nlo photos yet. Any help? Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 01:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Try here,
Porsche356registry.org - 356Talk Main Discussion
Old 05-19-2012, 02:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I also purchased two of the early Pre A speedsters in the early 70's, two of the first 200 from 1954. Yep, kick myself in the a.. several times to see what they bring today. If I knew today what I forgot yesterday, or something like that.

I suspect a good 930 will see similiar increases in the near future, it is one of the best values out there today
Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can't post anymore at the 356 Registry without buying a membership.

I saw an early Speedster project car sell for $100k in January. It looked complete and not too rusty although it did need floor work. Wow.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I guess I can see why Mr X was prepared to offer $10K sight unseen. Thanks for the info guys. I
joined the 356 Registry so we'll see what they have to say.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Trade it with me for a newer model Porsche. I have several for you to choose from. Always wanted it restored? Come see my work. You have pm.

Best Regards,
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Joined the 356 Registry and posted it there. Good call C. Clark. I'm getting a lot of responses.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Licensed User

IMHO, there is nothing in the pics that were posted on the registry that is salvageable. If you blasted or dipped that car there would be nothing left. It's worth whatever the title, the COA, and the spare parts you have are worth to someone. All of the metal can be built by hand at Trevor's Hammerworks or sourced from Stoddards, Restoration Design, Zimms, etc..

Last edited by Shuie; 05-23-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It looks unusually rusty so $40k seems like pretty good money but I wouldn't bet that you couldn't get more. Prices are climbing. It seems like $40k will only get you a nice A coupe project these days.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Big Jon Jacobs

Maybe more?

"Back in the mid 70's I bought a 56 356A Speedster (for $400). Since then the car has been sitting in an unheated garage in the Midwest. Car was running and drivable when parked. Very rusty. Engine (not the original one but Porsche not VW ) is out of car and dismantled. Some Exterior chrome missing, interior redone but not quality, no bumpers, rust where you'd expect. I see what these bring on the high end. What's the low end figure? I have been bombarded with offers from people wanting to buy it site unseen but I don't have a clue as to value. Nlo photos yet. Any help? Thanks"

I would say at least $40k, but if someone really wanted it, then I would say possibly between $50k to $60k. I think it will depend upon the buyer. Just my two cents, there is not a day that goes by that I don't wish I would have kept mine.
Jon Jacobs
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: