Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

GT Speedsters sold with pushrod engines

A former Bay Area resident wrote me this about Speedsters 49 years ago:
"You probably know that Carl Block, who had the Oakland Porsche dealership (think with his brother), obtained some very interesting Speedsters. He was at the factory and saw six or seven unfinished GT Speedsters ---- they had no engines. He made a deal with them, and they put pushrod engines in the cars. They then were shipped to his dealership, and sold. They still even had the gearing for the four cam engines."

This same guy says that later he found an owner of one of the cars who told him
it was a GT Speedster that came from the factory with a Super pushrod engine. Rather unfairly that buyer had to pay the same price as the Carrera GT Speedsters had cost!

I was wondering if the SN of the six cars are known, and when they go into concours now, if they get marked off for not having Carrera 4-fam engines and if the factory Kardex shows what engines they went out the door with, and how much less they are worth now because they don't have the Carrera engine

Old 10-05-2015, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A bit delayed I know but they are known I saw one in the 80's at Wedon Croghams and indeed Euopean Automobiles has a silver one for sale now.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When the owners of those cars go into a concours, I wonder if they have the factory Kardex copy that shows their cars were sold out of Germany without 4-cam engines or even without engines?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes I saw that one at Weldon's. I believe that in 59 there were a total of 9 aluminum trimmed speedsters, 6 were the 547 and 3 were the s90 engine. I put together one of the 6.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: