Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

LED Lights

My "63" Cab is still a 6 volt car. I installed new LEDs for turn signal, brake and parking lights. Also installed SMD headlights and an electronic flasher. I see absolutely no difference in lumens. I was on a rally last weekend and asked the 911 driver behind me about my lights and he said he has to get right up behind me to see them. The week before I was told that my right rear light wasn't working. I checked it out and it was working. The electronic flasher blinks very slowly, if I put the incandescent bulbs back in it flashes rapidly like my other cars. There are other weird things going on.

My horns are loud and clear except at speed when they gargle and become anemic. The battery is brand new, and at times, barely able to turn the engine over. Other times it is healthy.

I cleaned the battery ground and nothing changed. There are two 6 volt to 12 volts converters installed. One is integral to the stock radio and the other one is left over from an aftermarket radio and is now used to power a portable GPS. It was already installed and I wasn't comfortable with the loose fit with the cigar lighter.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I really meant to ask a question in the above post. Does anyone have any experience in determining what is going on with the electrics here? Something seems to be wrong. I'm open to speculation and ideas.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

check ground straps at the tail lights for starters. do a load check on your new battery, but that seems to be a different problem. Are you running the CU layer tail lights? those are normally bright as hell and a great product for 6v cars.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I m not using the CU layer tail lights. I was thinking of going to them, however, if there is a problem, I want to fix that first. I have not checked the tail light ground. If I put the incandescent bulbs back in, they are as bright as the LEDs, which seem to be normal bright for 6 volt tail lights. I checked the battery ground. I had really cleaned it up in April Now 4 months later it has about an inch of green corrosion on the end clamped to the battery. I will replace it. I also took the second 6 volt to 12 volt converter off trying to follow "Keep it simple". As far as the horn in concerned, I am going to replace the horn button and check the contact ring. The last time I was in there I had to put spacers on the contact ring in order for the button to make contact.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
You may not need to replace the battery cable. Clean it with a paste of baking soda and water. Don't get any into the battery cells! If it appears mechanically solid, coat it with Vaseline or commercial battery terminal protectant - anything to keep air from getting to it. I deal with a six battery electric golf cart all the time. This fixed my corrosion problems.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Iconoclastic Carmudgeon

Mr.Bunka:

Just spitballing here....

I'm not sure that all of these issues stem from a single "problem".

Seems to me that:

You underestimate the issue of the narrow focus of digital lights (if you're not looking in the narrow cone of emitted light, you don't see much), as opposed to incandescents whose emittence is omnidirectional.

The business of the horns sounds like improper voltage or insufficient amps.

Inconsistent starting could be anything from batt voltage to starter end bushings' condition.

The flasher performance may be due to the digital lights' less amp draw thru it.

I'd be temped to isolate both the voltage converters until you get things worked out.

S.J.Szabo
Old 10-02-2017, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I suggest cleaning the connections between the turn signal switch wire loom and the main wire loom. There are 5-6 bullet connectors there that are a prime source of corrosion and poor connections resulting in weak brake lights, intermittent/weird turn signal functioning. They affect both the brakes and the turn signals. This bundle of connectors is under the dash on top of, or in the area of, the steering tube.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: