Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

EP80 on the garage floor - nothing worse

Finalising the re-build of my 356B T6 and one of the last jobs was to fill all lubricants. Pushed 3 litres of ep80 into the trans, went to get a coffee, come back and saw about a half cup full of lube under both hubs. On closer inspection I could see the oil loss was not from the bearing housing but from the rear of the brake back plate. I think maybe my problem is here because I am using VW back plates and drums so I can get the 5 on 130 stud pattern for the Fuchs rims I am running. (The car didn't come with any brakes when I got it) I think the VW back plates are giving an incorrect bearing preload figure and allowing space for the lube loss. Has anybody else come across this problem ie running VW backplates. I am not sure exactly what I can do to correct this problem and firstly I would like to know what the depth of the correct Porsche backplate should be so I can start some comparison. So if any folks might have one hanging on a nail in their garage I would really like to know the measurement.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If I remember correctly (I did the opposite of you and put Porsche brakes on my '57 bug in '65) there are two O Rings, a lip seal and a paper gasket to seal the rear hubs. If oil is leaking on the BACK of the backing plate, that is a failure of the large O Ring and the paper gasket at the outer perimeter of the rear wheel bearing.
I would think that the first thing you have to do is make sure that the cast iron bearing cover (you said it was a VW part) has the proper depth to capture the bearing snugly. If it is too shallow, the backing plate will not be secured and the bearing will fail quickly because of pressure on the outer race, and if it is too deep, the bearing will float in the housing. So measure everything up, or find some original to your trans bearing covers and everything should be good.
The only other place that oil can escape is where the axle protrudes from the bearing cover. The lip seal should seal on a spacer on the axle outboard of the bearing, and a small O Ring between the spacer and the bearing should seal oil from coming out at the axle itself. The spacer is chamfered on the side that faces the bearing to accommodate the O Ring.
Here is a link for the VW rear hub, which should be pretty close to what Porsche was doing at the time. I notice that the pre '65 hub does not have a paper gasket.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=140117&start=15
Good luck. Bob B

Last edited by NICE 69 S; 08-09-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Old 08-09-2017, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Bob. I have fixed the leaks now but not without a lot of agro. The VW backplate had the central hole slightly larger than the Porsche piece, leak here fixed with two o rings. I checked the axial play with the bearings but had to mill the VW back plates to the same thickness as the Porsche one. I used only one 0.1mm shim but there was still a leak albeit very minimal. So I pulled it all apart for the twentieth time or so and this time re-assembled all sufaces with a smear of blue Permatex on all faces and hallylooyeah no leaks. This is not the correct Porsche way but using non Porsche parts was the problem and was fixed in a non Porsche way. Hey it's an outlaw 356 after all and it most certainly won't be going into any concours!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: