Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Alright....

Garage
Gulf coast flood help! 356b

Hi all!

I have a neighbor in Friendswood TX that has had their 356B get some water during the Texas Gulf Coast floods. "It took water into the floorboards--ANY RECOMMENDATIONS on what to do to save it would be amazing, as it is a family heirloom brought back from Germany!"

I am a 911 guy and would love some advice on how this family can save their 356B.

Please help!
w/ '86 930/20
w/ '74 915/06
Old 08-31-2017, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hose it off, get some fans going, doors open.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

put a dehumidifier inside with windows rolled up as soon as possible
Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Getting the carpet out of it would be a great move. Water that sits in the pan is going to be a big problem. Does the engine and trans have water in it? That needs to be addressed too. DO NOT crank an engine that may have water in it unless all the spark plugs have been removed. Change all the fluids ASAP including brake fluid.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had 356 of the same vintage. Fortunately they are pretty simple cars so there's not much that can be permanently damaged with a little quick action. Good luck and I hope all is well with you and yours!

#1) Remove the battery! These are on the floor of the front trunk. Water and battery acid will collect in this area if left alone.

2) Remove carpets and floor "juke". Original cars had an rubbery / fibery sound deadening material on the floors. This should be removed and dried outside of the car. This stuff retains water and will be the reason the floors will rust out.

3) Pull seats and Remove door panels.. (if water made it up high enough). I'd pull the panels and dry out the inside of the doors.

4) I'd pull the trans shift boot under the car and jack the front of the car up to drain the shift tunnel inside the car.

5) I'd hose out the inside with fresh water and dry as much as possible. Towel dry as much as possible

7) Pull brake drums and flush all fluids. The trans, engine and brake systems should be cleaned out.

8) Once the car is cleaned off, they may want to spray the underside with Gibbs liberally to prevent corrosion of hardware and suspension components.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Your carpet will be ruined. Pull the seats, pull the carpets out. You might want get some air going through your heater tunnels with leaf blowers.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

+1^^^ strip it, fans, air, more fans and more air... and again... till dry
Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

We have been watching this disaster on the UK BBC news lately and we really do feel for everyone caught up in this terrible situation. We take holidays in Naples every year and we know that has been hit very badly, but we will be back and we just know you guys will pull through.
On a Porsche note, although I would hope the water did not reach this level I believe there is some absorbent material beneath the fuel tank and this could suck in moisture so perhaps a fuel tank R & R should be added to the post flood list.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: