Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 356 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cold Start Exhaust Smoke

My 1960 356B, though seldom driven, has always performed flawlessly...no problems whatever. I am not a mechanic, so every Spring I have the car checked out by a local independent Porsche shop. Last Fall, the car started smoking on cold starts....no oil or gas leaks, no trouble starting, and once warm runs flawlessly, smoke free. While I don't exercise the car as often as I should, I've had the car for 5 years and the smoking is a recent development.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 03-05-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Check the oil level with car on level ground. Maybe it was slightly overfilled.
Also perhaps some fuel from the carbs are washing the upper cylinders upon startup and then allowing a small amt of engine oil to burn until the rings reseal.
I have had light smoking on start up with blowby from breather pipe on motors
with SC/912 (solex p40ll) carbs and the stock oval airfilter on passenger side.
Lastly,the valve guide seals are leaking a bit of oil after the last running and causing smoke
at the next startup
Old 03-05-2018, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

black or light gray smoke?
Black = fuel
light gray = oil
Old 03-06-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Light grey smoke, so oil the culprit. Oil level fine, smoking started late last year, so overfilling not the problem. thanks for the tips....gives me a place to start.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: