Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

personally I cannot wait for the synergies
Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I've only had my '80 SC for a year now, and I agree that this forum is invaluable. I just installed the O2 Sensor plug mentioned above, among other things. I have only had good experiences in my purchases from Pelican - everything has arrived as promised and they've been very responsive to my questions. I haven't had any interaction with ECS Tuning.

My only point in this post is to voice my appreciation of this forum, site, and online store to Wayne and Bryan, thank Wayne for starting it (and for his books that have also been invaluable), and to encourage Bryan in keeping this forum and site as the great resource it is!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting comments by everyone. It's great to see everyone's passion for "doing the right thing". Don't know Wayne personally but from what I've heard and can see by what he built the decision to sell his company was probably tough and assume he selected the group that best suited Pelican Parts"his baby" and went with a company(buyer) that could continue his legacy. As Wayne stated there is a lot of things that happen behind the scenes that the majority would not understand or never understand. If it was easy everyone would do it. If the company isn't profitable it's not a business it's just a hobby and change is evident so embrace it and wish Pelican continued success.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
My concerns are two-fold:

1. This forum and its future. There is simply no better car forum out there. The wealth of information here is staggering, and losing it would damage the 911 community beyond words.

2. The cottage industry of at home part/solution makers that this forum has created and fostered over the years. You can find everything from new engine wiring harnesses to valve adjustment tools to O2 sensor plugs made by members here. Losing them would also be a huge blow to vintage 911 owners.

If these two things stay around unchanged and unhindered, I will remain a customer.
This is the right attitude, and I agree whole heartedly. Having come to the Porsche Club from Audi and other Japanese makes, I found my way to this forum to be able to do a lot of work on my car by myself, met some amazing people, found some amazing vendors, etc. I have also bought a lot of parts from Pelican over the years (and from other vendors). Yes Pelican has had some shipping/stocking issues here and there. I have found more issues at a few other places though, and would say Pelican has been one of the better Porsche vendors to deal with by far. As an ex-Audi guy, I had a few issues with ECS, but nothing huge or life changing.

I would venture to guess that no one posting on these forums is doing so because they have not received any benefit from Wayne & Co' s efforts at all, in fact quite the contrary. It is always interesting to see how many Philadelphia Lawyers there are out here on the inter-web, and how many "amazing businesses people" live on forums like this who "know how it's done."

We are not some group of wimpy snowflakes who are owed anything by Wayne and Pelican. If he had sold out to Bertam and they just closed Pelican Parts and opened it up as a "Porsche Tab" on ECS'.......that would have sucked, but it's fine. Once it's their business, it's their business to do with what they want. We hope they do right by us, and we want them take care of the employees etc......but its their business.

Life changes people. If you don't like Bertam, go somewhere else. If you don't like how Wayne & Co handled the announcement, go somewhere else. If you don't like the Pelican Cartoon, go somewhere else. It's Wayne's business, and for many years he has poured his heart and soul into it and given us AMAZING service (here in the forums, by even providing them, and his parts company etc).

Has anyone else, or any other company done as much positively for the community as Pelican and Wayne? I cannot think of any. It's his business, and if he wants to slow down and sell it we should all be grateful that he cared enough to start it and run it for as long as he did to help us all out. That's it! Beyond that he only had an obligation to look after himself and his family as part of the sale. For him to do more is being gracious, and he has been very gracious. As harsh as it sounds, he did not even have an obligation to the employees as part of the sale. However as a good business person with personal relationships with them he sure tried, but he did not have to. For him to try to do the best deal he could for himself, the employees, AND us.... to enable to continuity of the community and the parts company, is above and beyond. To think otherwise is just frankly un-American, and a sign we all need to spend less time not the internet being "experts," and more time wrenching on our beloved cars, and driving them, and enjoying the real interpersonal relationships this wonderful community has for years fostered.....again THANK TO WAYNE & CO.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles

Last edited by Duc Hunter; 11-26-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

+1. Kind of cool for us Ohio guys. Pelican Parts just feels closer now.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I'm happy to report as a PP customer and supplier nothing has changed, IMO.

Ryan
Old 11-26-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
+1. Kind of cool for us Ohio guys. Pelican Parts just feels closer now.
and the Buckeyes just thrashed Michigan again
Old 11-26-2018, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
and the Buckeyes just thrashed Michigan again
Oh yeah😏
Old 11-26-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Interesting read. Not sure how I missed this in the middle of the summer. Having been thru what happened at ECS, in another industry, I can sympathize.

With that said.....

I have been building my own hot-rods, Porsche and others for along time. Suppliers are very important. You can't make a supply company "get it" while others simply do. "Get-It" to me is honesty and integrity in dealing with me. I don't need to be told something just to make me happy, I need the truth so I can plan.

Only time will tell if Pelican maintains it's First Class status with me. So far it's been pretty damn good.

BTW....I love this forum and I hate the word "synergies".
Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: