Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to porsche911girl
Exclamation Porsche COA questions

Hey all,

I've read on here that Porsche's COA is not always accurate, which bothers me as I would like to know whether some things on my 78 911sc are original to the car, such as the seats, which are cloth Recaros that I believe to be added later, and a turbo whale tail. I would like to know if it had sport or regular comfort seats from the factory.

However, I'm hesitant to pay the $100+ if any information they can give me is incorrect.

Also, it was repainted black before I got it but the original paint color is petrol blue.

Is it worth it to pay for the COA or just try to get in touch with previous owners to try to find out details?

Thanks all in advance!
2008 VW R32 #2846/5000
Past Rides:
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport-lifted
Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Order it. Be patient for the COA to arrive. Best source to validate your car unless you have original window sticker.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If you buy one, check the details after receipt. The first one I received contained an error in the engine number, which I had them correct and then re-issue the COA.

Jason
Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Let me ask it this way: Are the answers to your questions worth knowing for a $100? Or can you use that $100 better somewhere else on the car?
Old 07-07-2018, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

Never thought I'd see the day people cared if their SC started life with a tail or not. Run whatever decklid you like.

They are only original once. On a car that's bern repainted and color changed nothing matters.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The COA’s are right a lot more often than a broken clock. I buy a COA on every one of my cars. It’s like opening a present on Christmas morning. I have had one known mistake out of about 10 and they fixed it. Said my car was a 77 when it was a 76. Pretty big mistake I suppose.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I thought the COA was issued by the PCA not Porsche.

They must have access to some Porsche online database for the info printed out on the $100 piece of paper.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
I thought the COA was issued by the PCA not Porsche.

They must have access to some Porsche online database for the info printed out on the $100 piece of paper.
They were issued by Porsche https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/
Replaced by PPS explained in the above link
Old 07-08-2018, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would pay the $100 before they stop offering them.

As it is - it's a crapshoot. They no longer offer trans/engine numbers on them or they will ONLY if you provide yours and will verify.

I would because they tell some things. Mine was pretty much wrong on the interior and/or engine number. It's interesting to have - but not the authority.

So it's either $100 or you will spend it on something probably less valuable. I'd do it now.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARISOL78sc View Post
They were issued by Porsche https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/
Replaced by PPS explained in the above link
Looks like the same as the COA, except for the name change.
I wish they included the production number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I would pay the $100 before they stop offering them.

As it is - it's a crapshoot. They no longer offer trans/engine numbers on them or they will ONLY if you provide yours and will verify.

I would because they tell some things. Mine was pretty much wrong on the interior and/or engine number. It's interesting to have - but not the authority.

So it's either $100 or you will spend it on something probably less valuable. I'd do it now.
For $100 and info on current owners, Porsche would be dumb not to offer them.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Functionista

Not the same, and now $500 for the additional CTC.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Another consideration, in the mid 70's dealers added many options to a " new" car before it was sold: radio, tail, wheels. stripes, etc.

I worked for Nissan in the mid 70's- my group based in the US, focused on adding air, stripes, radios etc. on cars to help sell them in the US market before they were sent to the dealers. did the same work for Fiat and International Harvester.

I like the COAs - as others have stated, overall accurate, but not 100%.

Regarding contacting previous owners- two of my cars were purchased from owners who owned them for 40+ years. They forgot what they modified or added to the car 40 years ago or something was added at the dealer and in their mind it is original.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
PPS or COA.

Hello, I have just downloaded the PPS form from Porsche Cars N/A inc..No.1 It will cost $ 110 U.S. + $ 8.95 U.S. No.2 They don't ship outside U.S. and Canada. I purchased this '73? 911 in San Francisco in 1994 and would like to know its origins. What is the window sticker? mine has a sticker on the left hand "rear"side window which says, Manufactured by Dr DHCF PORSCHE K.G. and a lot of stuff about emissions etc. (black writing on a transparent background.) Regards,Michael.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

^^^

Example of the window sticker for a '71T:

Old 07-10-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

How would one get a COA for a RoW car I wonder. Do they even have them for Euro market cars?

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Pps/coa.

KALINSD, Thank you for the answer about the "window sticker." I had asked about it a few times but got no proper reply.I can see now why the supplier of the PPS/COA would give a discount if you supplied one .I think IF you were lucky enough to have one you wouldn't need a PPS/COA. The one on mine must be something to do with emissions. Regards,Michael.(would send a photo but am not near the car at the moment.)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
How would one get a COA for a RoW car I wonder. Do they even have them for Euro market cars?
Yes, I've ordered them here in the U.S. for '75 & 76 RoW Turbos - both were spot on.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane930 View Post
Yes, I've ordered them here in the U.S. for '75 & 76 RoW Turbos - both were spot on.
Same here Iíve done 7 ROW 74-77 cars without any issue
Old 07-11-2018, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: