Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What should I expect to pay to have my car lowered to euro height?

Looking for an idea of cost to have my 87 Carrera lowered front and rear to Euro ride height. Also if anyone has a recomended shop to do this. I am located in Palm Beach FL.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
'87s delivered to the US were already at Euro ride height (actually all cars were delivered with the same height setting, whether in NA, Europe, etc.). The Euro height thing only mattered during the late '70s / early '80s, when US cars were higher to address 5 MPH impact requirements. So, unless your car was raised for some reason, you are already there. On the other hand, many people prefer their cars lower than spec. To do this properly, the front is easy (simple adjustment at the torsion bars). The rears could require reindexing the torsion bars, which is more involved. Regardless, your car should then be cornerbalanced and a full alignment done. This whole process is not cheap if you want to hire it out. There are tech articles here on Pelican that show how to do this yourself, though, and save you a lot on this. In my case, I do everything except the alignment myself. Good shops will charge several hundred to do that properly. Someone more local will need to comment about Palm Beach shops, etc. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Nothing if you are handy with a couple wrenches to do it yourself
Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
'87s delivered to the US were already at Euro ride height
HUH ???
Old 07-10-2018, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Lyle, not to disagree with you but maybe a you can post a picture or measure your height? My buddies with both an 87 and even an 88 limited edition Coupe is not at euro height. I believe this was a DOT thing in the USA.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Come on over I'll take care of you...

In all seriousness I would say between 400-800 dollars to do it right. 150 to align and 100 to do the front. The back is more challenging so 400 plus for that. You have to find someone who knows what they are doing. :-)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I mean you can lower the front in under 5 minutes with a ratchet and a socket. The rear.... well... if you're goign to have to pull the spring plates, you might as well upgrade to poly bushings, and honestly, you can get adjustable spring plates for $275 and you can sell your old ones for $150 so that's sort of a no brainer as well. Then you might as well get new shocks since your old ones are probably beat and you should probably upgrade the torsion bars to be a bit stiffer so....
Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Draco,
This has been argued ad nauseam on this forum. Here's the straight
skinny from a post by Bill Verburg. Lyle is indeed correct. All 911s, with the exception of '78-'81SC were shipped with the same setting. i.e. US/"EURO"/ROW=the same setting The PAG specs don't lie. Also the measure at the
fender is NOT a correct way to measure suspension height, the correct method is shown in these pics!
But most folks don't want to take the trouble to do it the correct way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Only US 78-81 SC were set at the factory at the raised height
here's a survey of the specs

height is the difference between a & b

'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa

Last edited by uwanna; 07-10-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
We just recently did this on my 87.

In my experience setting the rear ride height is a PITA. We got really good at it towards the end though, and we could do it in about 30 min after doing it the millionth time. I went with stock style rubber Elephant racing bushings. If you do it yourself make sure you mark where you're starting from and the position of the torsion bar when you pull it out, otherwise it'll be really difficult to figure it out. Also use a lot of liquid soap, and keep in mind when it settles the heights might change and your left and right sides could be different, but at that point the adjustable spring plates can easily pick up the slack. I did get my corners balanced and wheels aligned after and they took care of the spring plate adjustment to even it out at the end.

BTW, pls correct me if I am wrong but I think the 87 cars are set to the same ride heights for both Euro and US models. Also, the "Euro ride height" that most people refer to is really quite a bit lower than the actual Euro ride height (even for previous years when they were different)

Anyway, here is a pic of the way she sits now. This is not super low, but lower than stock. It's still a comfortable ride for street driving.

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Just answering your $ question ... I was quoted $650 (Long Island, NY)

Jason
Old 07-10-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
For a fully screwed up corner balance. i.e. re-indexing everything, it was about $850 in the PNW. That was a couple of years ago by a reputable Porsche shop specializing in suspensions.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I paid 900 last summer for reindexing, corner balance and alignment. Everything was new so it came apart easily.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Diss Member

You can do the front yourself with a wrench. Just make sure you turn both sides exactly the same amount.

To do the whole car you are basically just asking for a alignment with a corner balance. If they want more $$ to adjust the height when corner balancing already adjusts the corner's heights they are taking you for a bit of a ride. (There is the unlikely possibility that the rear might require that you reindex the bars and I would expect that to cost more money because it is a bit of a pain.)

--
Wayne - 87 Carrera coupe -> The pooch.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you everyone for your insight, I am probably going to try to find a shop to do this in my area a little too much for me to handle in my garage space that i have. If anyone can recommend a shop in south florida that isn't in miami that would be great! Thank you!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
In my experience the more reputable the shop, the more tricky the problem of someone asking for "an alignment".
If you are a racer they know you already because they support you at races, and you provide them with specs, or the problem you are having while racing and they can make it happen.
If you are street only then they figure tire wear/MPG is the problem and you probably won't want to pay for (or notice) more than a front wheel thrust alignment. again tell them your concerns and they can get you exactly what you need.
If you go to a tire place and ask for an alignment, the gum snapping service writer will begin writing it up. Any talk of camber or caster, inches and degrees might as well be spoken in Klingon because the tech will align to whatever the machine says you need-that is his job.
Again in my experience-asking for an "alignment" or even a "full alignment" is like asking for a "tune-up" and is never precise, especially when shopping around.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: