Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Elephant Racing bump steer

I'm thinking about installing and Elephant Racing bump steer kit to lower the front ride height of my SC. Is it worth it to also get the spacer to raise the steering rack? My thinking is that if the rack is raised fewer black spacers will be needed at the tie rod end. Fewer black spacers mean less lever arm and hence, I think, less compliance although I'm not sure how big a problem this is.

Also, what is your general feeling about ER's bump steer kit?

Bump steer kit:

Rack spacer:
Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I removed my rack spacers when i installed the ERP kit. I do not think there is an issue running an extra black spacer.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffCamber00 View Post
I removed my rack spacers when i installed the ERP kit. I do not think there is an issue running an extra black spacer.
Probably not but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to reduce the lever arm between the tie rod and the steering knuckle while keeping the same level of bump steer correction.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Do you have raised spindles? If not, the rack spacers will do the job.

The Elephant kit is designed to restore a normal bump steer with raised spindles.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Do you have raised spindles? If not, the rack spacers will do the job.

The Elephant kit is designed to restore a normal bump steer with raised spindles.
At the moment I'm running on struts with spindles at the standard height. However, as I lower the ride height, both the spindle and steering knuckle move upwards relative to the rack.

If I lower the front ride height by, say, 20 mm my spindle and steering knuckle move up by 20 mm with respect to the rack, right? Would bump steer be very different on a car at the same ride height but with a modified strut with a 20 mm raise of the spindle/knuckle?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP0ZZZ View Post
At the moment I'm running on struts with spindles at the standard height. However, as I lower the ride height, both the spindle and steering knuckle move upwards relative to the rack.

If I lower the front ride height by, say, 20 mm my spindle and steering knuckle move up by 20 mm with respect to the rack, right? Would bump steer be very different on a car at the same ride height but with a modified strut with a 20 mm raise of the spindle/knuckle?
The short answer is yes.

911 front suspensions will have some bump steer because of the design. If you go very low the bump steer will increase some.

If you raise the spindle you have changed the relationship, IE angle, between the tie rod and the a-arm. In the stock configuration the tie rod and a-arm are essentially parallel. If you move the tie rod end in relation to the ball joint, the resulting angle will drastically increase the bump steer.

That is why the Elephant style kit is useful. And to answer your second question, yes the Elephant bump steer kit is top notch.

BTW, if you lower the front to the point where the a-arms angle up from the torsion bars you will have poor handling and bottom out your shocks. AHIK
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 07-12-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The idea is to keep the tie rods and A-arms parallel. If you don’t raise the spindles, the arms are already parallel. Adding a bump steer kit to the tie rod ends will take the arms out of a parallel relationship. This will make bump steer worse not better.

-Andy
Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: