Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Turbo tie rod boot ends seem too big

A bit hard to tell from the pic, but the boot end that fits over the rubber grommet is quite a bit larger than the grommet, and there's no way the spring will keep it attached. The boot is from our host, the tie rods I've have in the garage for years and just getting around to installing them.
Am I missing something?
Bill

Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Insert from the other direction with a little lube, it will stretch over the retainer and hold in place.

Just wait until you do the other end. That's when the fun starts. For the hard end, use a pick with a 90 degree bend at the end, a little more lube and you can rotate the pick around the spring and it will seat the spring as you go around. I struggled with it until I figured this method and can now now do it in just a couple minutes.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayles View Post
Insert from the other direction with a little lube, it will stretch over the retainer and hold in place.

Just wait until you do the other end. That's when the fun starts. For the hard end, use a pick with a 90 degree bend at the end, a little more lube and you can rotate the pick around the spring and it will seat the spring as you go around. I struggled with it until I figured this method and can now now do it in just a couple minutes.
I did put it on from the other end - just had it this way for the photo. The problem is that I don't need to stretch it over the retainer at all, the diameter of the end of the boot is much larger than the diameter of the retainer.

I am definitely not looking forward to getting the far end in place, have done it once before and I remember it being a real pain. Thanks for the tip on the 90 pick.

Bill
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Not sure I follow you. The boot attaches to the steering rack on the wide end and the grommet on the narrow end. The grommet is slid up the shaft in your picture.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Not sure I follow you. The boot attaches to the steering rack on the wide end and the grommet on the narrow end. The grommet is slid up the shaft in your picture.
I've circled the area in the photo below. All I did for my photo was try and put the grommet next to the boot so the size difference is apparent. The diameter of the grommet (inside the boot in this photo) seems a bit small relative to the diameter of the end of the boot that is closest to the grommet. If I were to rotate the boot 180 degrees and pull it over the grommet it would not be a very snug fit.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I follow you now! The area between the two raised ribs on the boot is larger than the rubber grommet! I wish I could recall what mine looked like when I did the a few years ago. Someone else will chime in I'm sure!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Any chance you have a regular boot and turbo tie rods?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to smokintr6
I got the same parts from pelican two weeks ago. I took the rubber disc off the tie rod, lubed it, and inserted it into the boot sideways from the big end... squeezing it out like toothpaste. Now the rubber disc is in the tiny opening of the boot And the spring clip is not needed. Seems like it is going to work. Thereís no way itís going to work with the clip where it looks like itís supposed to go. I ordered the parts as a turbo tie rod ďkitĒ
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Any chance you have a regular boot and turbo tie rods?
I thought that might be the case, but near as I can tell the regular boots are quite a bit different. There doesn't seem to be any year specific boots, so would lead me to believe that the dimensions remained the same from year to year.

The quality and fit of many of the aftermarket rubber seals is "questionable" from my experience, possible that these are just a bad design.

Can I assume that the boot is supposed to be a nice tight fit over that grommet?

Bill
Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

There are two different boots, the stock version and the turbo version. I can tell you its a snug and did require some lube to get it done.

Here is a pic I just snapped, hopefully it helps.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
There are two different boots, the stock version and the turbo version. I can tell you its a snug and did require some lube to get it done.

Here is a pic I just snapped, hopefully it helps.
Is that really the correct way to install the boot? If so, then yes, I can see how that is a snug fit and mine would be about the same. I don't see the retaining spring in your photo.
Bill
Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I am pretty sure it’s correct. See smokintr6s post, my experience mirrors his. From what I recall there isn’t a way to use the spring on that end.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I am pretty sure itís correct. See smokintr6s post, my experience mirrors his. From what I recall there isnít a way to use the spring on that end.
With the photo Ayles posted smokintr6s post makes sense now. These is no way that end is coming off with the boot on the grommet that way.
Bill
Old 07-12-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to smokintr6
side note, that rubber disc seems to be coated in paint that started to flake off as i forced it into the boot. It made a HUGE mess. Best to try to flake all the paint off first so it doesn't end up inside the boot. By far cleaning up the pieces was the worst part of the job.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: