Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Outdoor parking - Covers?

Hi all,

Currently apartment hunting in the LA area. While I would much prefer covered parking, it looks like I found a fantastic apartment with gated, uncovered parking. Does anyone keep their car outside? Any advice with regard to a quality cover? I drive the car at least once a week and would prefer to protect the car from the elements as much as possible. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 07-11-2018, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Michael. i have parked my 911 in Santa Monica pier parking lot for over 14 years .It was my daily driver car... i have used only an original Porsche car cover.Kinda pricey ..back in that days (2009) i payed 300 bucks for it,but it was worth it...again i had it stolen twice by homeless peeps but it was the best car cover ever made.i have mentioned before i have actually seen some homeless wearing my car cover made into a jacket ..it was so funny to see it..and i was happy for that dude...

Ivan
Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Michael - keep in mind that any dirt/dust between the paint and the cover can/will abrade the paint when covered -- best to only leave a cover (especially an outdoor cover) on a completely clean car
Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I agree that the genuine Porsche cover is the best. However, I wish they would leave the giant Porsche Logo off the cover as it is an invitation to vandalize. The cover comes with a lock but I never use is as I am just parking in my office parking lot.

Covers can be a pain to put on but I have a system that works great :On from the front, off from the back"

When removing the cover, fold the outsides into the center, then pull the cover from the rear and fold as you go. When it's time to put back on, unroll from the front. This keeps it folded tight for storage and very easy to get the cover on correctly.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 07-11-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
Michael - keep in mind that any dirt/dust between the paint and the cover can/will abrade the paint when covered -- best to only leave a cover (especially an outdoor cover) on a completely clean car
I agree with this! Keep your car clean with some quick detailer spray (personally I use Meguiars) in between car washes, and right before you put the cover on. This helps to minimize dust and dirt particles from scratching your car.

If you are looking for an alternative to the OEM car covers, check out all the Coverking options we have available here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/coverking/coverking_outdoor.htm
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
When removing the cover, fold the outsides into the center, then pull the cover from the rear and fold as you go. When it's time to put back on, unroll from the front. This keeps it folded tight for storage and very easy to get the cover on correctly.
wouldn't pulling the cover across the paint invite abrasion to the paint? I followed your process, but instead of pulling cover from rear and folding cover, I'd start rolling cover from the rear, along the car, and ending up with a fully rolled/folded cover sitting on the hood -- no pulling cover along car.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don't know how windy it is around your area. But here it would be fatal for a paintjob. The cover flapping against the paint for hundreds of hours
Old 07-11-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I fold them inboard first into the centerline of the car. Then I fold the back up onto the center of the roof and the same with the front. Repeat 2x for an nice, compact cover. There’s no pulling it over the paint this way either.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Coverking.

My choice.

Best,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 07-11-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Gerry..i have a feeling Coverking makes the covers for Porsche..i go later to look on mine
ivan
Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
proporsche is correct about who manufactures Porsche's covers. About a decade ago, I bought a Porsche cover and it was made by Coverking.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I park mine outside uncovered (unless I'm going to be leaving it there for days.) Texas sun can be hot, but I look for shade. Not ideal, I realize, but mine's a 320k mi driver and I will repaint it 15 years from now if it needs it. Coverking is a great cover. As others have said, make sure car is clean when you put it on and have a system.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
uniman..actually what is great about the car cover by Coverking is that even a little dust does not mater ..the inside material is very soft i have been using it at the beach-parking for over 13 years and no send-scratch marks on my paint at all.
Ivan
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: