Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
A cautionary tale

Long overdue but still surprised. I usually keep the gas tank on the low side during summer months because itís hard to find non ethanol gas and no long trips on the agenda. So Saturday I told my wife letís go get some gas for the 930. She thought we were taking the car but no I wasnít sure we had enough to get there itís 70 miles. Took another car and filled 2 5 gallon containers. Dumped them in ready for an early joy ride Sunday morning. Walk into garage Sunday morning and overwhelmed by gas smell. Leaking up front and in back. Drained almost all the gas but decided Iíd better get it on the lift. Buddy and wife with fire extinguishers and move it over to the lift but I back it in the only way it fits with the garage door clearing the front by inches. Iíve had the car 33 years now and know the lines havenít been replaced probably in 42 years. So one of those projects gets added to the cue. Sure glad we didnít take it out Sat night. I do carry 2 extinguishers but sure was glad Karma was on our side. The leaks were both at the discharge of the fuel pumps. I guess the added weight of 10 gallons was enough to finally overwhelm the old lines.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Jacksonville, Fl

I often wonder how many of these cars are running on original fuel lines. If I had to guess, there's alot of ticking time bombs out there.

Glad you noticed it before it's too late. Cautionary tale indeed
Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Check inside the Frunk too.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I pulled the fuel level sender and siphoned the first 10 gallons out. Then pulled the return to get it all. It was just so strange it was not one but two leaks at once. So although sketchy it could have been far worse.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yep corn gas isnít good for many reasons.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Our gas water heater resides in the garage with our cars. Sounds like a good time to have the gas lines changed out on the 1984 Coupe.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
About 20 years ago I had just filled up and had the car up on the lift when one of the lines going to the front fuel pump pulled off because the skid plate under the gas tank pinched it. 1/4 line spewing out both ends of the tank guard. Our house heater is in the garage in a closet. It was on. I’m looking for anything to collect 22 gallons of gas. Luckily I had 4 clean 5 gallon buckets. I grabbed a foot stool and got most of the tanks contents in those buckets. Of course I was soaked in gas but dropped the pan reattached the hose and was good to go. And didn’t blow our garage to kingdom come.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4495 View Post
Our gas water heater resides in the garage with our cars. Sounds like a good time to have the gas lines changed out on the 1984 Coupe.
or time for a new tankless hot water heater.....that is what I did. It is gas, but 5" up on the wall and not open flame.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Living near Seattle found a 73 911 FS in Hollywood Ca. Flew down and checked it out and drove it. 2nd gear synchro was nackered but the car was in relatively decent shape. The seller told me I should drive it home, and he had no reservations if it was him. Since I had to be to work the next day I instead arranged transport.

Got the car a week later and after my third short drive I took it to a shop to evaluate 2nd gear and check out a few more issues. The morning they started it up they immediately called to say gas was spraying all over the motor due to rotted lines. Felt like I dodged a bullet.

Lesson learned, on older cars at least check if not replace fuel lines.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Ha! This thread needed a picture..

RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Which lines are you replacing? Probably need to do mine but not sure about which ones to do; obvious culprits.
2018 BMW X1- Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 07-17-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mike, contact Len Cummings and he'll tell you what you need then build them for you. It is the only way to fly. Best of luck, John in CT.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Speed Metal Army General

I remember reaching back behind the airbox to see where a leak was and feeling ALL the hoses back there crunching and breaking haha!! Dodged a big fat bullet there.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

Here are my E-85 Rated 930 Hoses. Top photo shows the Feed from Pump #1 to Tunnel and the Return from Tunnel to Tank...

For the 930 Rear, the hose from Tunnel to Pump #2.....

...and from Pump #2 to Accumulator....

Of course, to connect these together you will need my Polyamide Tunnel Lines. For detailed information, please email me ONLY. NO PM's please.

Len dot Cummings at verizon dot net

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 07-18-2018 at 08:30 PM..
Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I did email you. May not have gone through. I’ll take the entire set. PM me with price and any tricks to getting them through the tunnel.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: