LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

Cool project.
1990 964 RSR project 'Norbert'
1957 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 10-06-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockdown View Post
Inquiring minds want to know!
Well....every project has its moments and I knew going in, that installing an EFI kit with COPS, etc. on a stock-ish 964 with aircon, power steering/brakes etc. would be going into the unknown........ one install issue is that the power steering pump interferes with the COPs unit, which is larger than the stock spark plug connector. To remedy that situation, we configured the system to be a coil-near-plug system, using 6 bosch coils, etc. However, I could not get that system to work reliably, as it would shut down the system, once the ignition synched and sparked. Suspected cross-talk between the the high energy wiring and signal wiring, etc...but no amount of re-routing, etc. improved the situation. After much f'ing around I elected to go back to a COPs system and work out the power steering interference issue. Once I installed that....it fired right up and ran......except for the O2 sensor signal, which was not working properly... with debug help from both AEM technicians and Rasant, we decided to return the ECU for evaluation and replace it with a new one. (It is likely, I suppose, that the faulty ECU could also have been responsible for the ignition hiccups) Installed that and now, everything is good! Ready for serious tuning.

Note: I've installed and sold many kits, using the AEM Infinity (typically the Rasant config) with great success. This is the 1st unit I've had to return. both Andrew (Rasant) and AEM engineering were actively helping me debug the system and quickly provided replacement equipment. That is one of the cool things about using EFI systems with modern ECUs and data-logging capabilities. I can email the logs to other experts and have them review and provide advice, etc. Excellent capabilities and service all around!

stay tuned,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Al for the nice description, the successful process of working ones way out of these rabbit holes is very informative.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Well, the 964 project is 98% complete....running very well...it is a beast. I need to debug the throttle linkage a bit as it currently has a little stiction........right at tip in, it sticks. if you are not careful....you can go from idle to 1/2 throttle in a nano second. So this needs fixing, prior to delivery. but it is minor in the scheme of thing. Here's a video i took today.........runs and sounds great.

Note: To fit the PMO filters and rain-hats, the stock grille/spoiler had to go, as the mechanism interferes with the rain-hat. So I removed all of that ****e and replaced it with one of my grilles. A few folks have asked me for a grill for the 964...well here it is....you just need to jettison the stock grille and spoiler stuff. Hey, you are removing weight where it counts too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fmMe0QciTA&feature=youtu.be

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Grille looks great on the 964, Al!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: