Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Man what a way to bring in a 911. Very cool story and adventure.

congrats and damn that's a beautiful car.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Great looking car and story regarding your trip to pick it up!

Can you tell us about your Fuchs they really pop on your 911. What size and tires... Painted centers to match script?
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-03-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWLoosenuts View Post
Man what a way to bring in a 911. Very cool story and adventure.

congrats and damn that's a beautiful car.
Thank you! I'm planning to drive it back up to the mountains of GA in two weeks to have some fun with a few family members. I'll post some of that when I get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Nelson View Post
Great looking car and story regarding your trip to pick it up!

Can you tell us about your Fuchs they really pop on your 911. What size and tires... Painted centers to match script?
The Fuchs are original to the car but were widened and stepped by a company called TruDesign which I think is no longer in business. The wheels are currently 17x8 front, 17x9.5 rear wrapped in BFGoodrich G-Force Sport tires, 215/45ZR17 front, 255/40ZR17 rear. I know the PO painted the centers and they look great against the car. I would assume they are color matched or just really close to the script
Old 08-06-2018, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Saturday was the Motorsports by Reeves Gathering which is a monthly cars and coffee at the local Porsche dealer. I took the car out with my dad (he has the red 89 930 in the photos). We had a blast and it was really cool to have that "like father like son" moment. The bottom pic is a video of the M&K exhaust. loving the sound of this car!

VID_20180804_111823_3 by William Reilly IV

Afterwards I started fixing a few items. The doors had some horrible rattles going on so I decided to take those apart and get that addressed. Just about every bolt was loose so tightening up those made every rattle go away. The other thing we did was adjust the pedals. The current setup, I could not heel/toe. The gas pedal was too far down from the other two. We did, however, discover a dead rat under the carpets along with some fluid at the bottom of the pedals. Anyone know why there might be fluid? See pic below for fluid and rat lol

The next thing I did was start to try and locate oil leaks. This is something I knew I was going to be dealing with owning an aircooled car, but I know from the drive home that I have some oil hitting the headers causing a bit of smoke and I wanted to track that down. I used a full can of brake parts cleaner on the underside of the engine, ran it, and have left it sitting on jacks for a day to see if I can find the leaks. It looks like I may have leaks from both lower valve cover gaskets which may be the culprit of at least that issue. I did note a lot of oil saturation on the back of the engine running down the transmission/bell housing area. The interesting thing is that the engine bay seems dry and clean. Although I have not taken the airbox off to check back there yet. These photos below are after I cleaned it up

Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Fluid may be a leaking Mc- check under the dash
Old 08-06-2018, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Congratz on the car!

Great story and good looking road trip!

My US-imported SC had the same amp, behind the passenger foot well.
Only I ditched it

Damn that exhaust sound is pretty cool!
I like the grasping in it <3

Last edited by Wout_RS; 08-06-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
That looks like Jack Booth’s old car. Got any prior owner info?

If it’s his old car, I have pictures of at next to my car at Caffeine and Octane in Atlanta a few years ago. I believe the story goes that Jack and his brother painted the car in their garage. The wheels are from a shop that went out of business. They are some of my favorite wheels.

If it is Jack’s old car and I had known that car was for sale I would’ve been in on it!

Great find!

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.

Last edited by tirwin; 08-06-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolblue83911 View Post
Fluid may be a leaking Mc- check under the dash
Thanks! I'll check that next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wout_RS View Post
Congratz on the car!

Great story and good looking road trip!

Only I ditched it

Damn that exhaust sound is pretty cool!
I like the grasping in it <3
I like it as well! It has a very deep hot rod like idle to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
That looks like Jack Booth’s old car. Got any prior owner info?

If it’s his old car, have pictures of at next to my car at Caffeine and Octane in Atlanta a few years ago.
Yes it is his old car! I have been in contact with Jack and he has been extremely helpful.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Wow. You got yourself a great car. There aren’t many cars I would give my car up for but that is one of them! Congrats!

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
For A/C - look no further than Charlie Griffiths - griffiths.com

Call Charlie and let him quote you a kit. Swallow hard, order kit, install, and enjoy cool air.

Congrats on a beautiful car! The whole is definitely more than the sum of the parts in your case.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Swallow hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Call Charlie and let him quote you a kit. Swallow hard, order kit, install, and enjoy cool air.

Congrats on a beautiful car! The whole is definitely more than the sum of the parts in your case.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
Wow. You got yourself a great car. There arenít many cars I would give my car up for but that is one of them! Congrats!
Thanks! I gave up this 997t. Huge transition, and it was hard to say goodbye.

Quote:

Thank you! I've actually already reached out to him and have a quote. My dad has his upgrade kit in his 930 and it's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danco_ View Post
Swallow hard.

I'm actually debating on either going with that kit from Griff or doing the all electric AC kit I've been reading about on here.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
I think you can't go wrong either way. The electric kit is really cool too. I guess depends on how 'stock-like' you want your car to be.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you can't go wrong either way. The electric kit is really cool too. I guess depends on how 'stock-like' you want your car to be.
I think this car is far from being anything original at this point. My mindset has always been OEM plus and the thought of saving weight and concealing the AC system up front is amazing to me. My biggest concern is if it will suffice in the Florida heat.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Last night I was supposed to mow the lawn and trim some hedges but on my way to the mower I stopped at the car and ended up searching around for that damn oil leak. I finally located some oil puddled up on the top of the block near the back. After taking the intake and MAF off, I was able to see that the oil looked to be coming from the low oil pressure switch that sends the signal to the dash to turn on a light when your oil is low. Since it's so easy to get to and I did not have a replacement I took it off, cleaned it up, and tightened it down. After that I kept at it and replaced a plastic bushing I broke in the driver door last weekend and did a brake fluid flush. The previous owner had not done a flush so I don't think that fluid had been replaced since at least 2013. I'm going on a GA mountain driving trip next weekend so I'm trying to make sure everything is solid and ready to go. The only thing I seem to have an issue with is adjusting the driver mirror. I have Vitaloni Sebring mirrors and nothing I do to the passenger mirror will allow me to adjust it to where I can see out of it. It's just pointing off into the ground Any suggestions about that?

Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wout_RS View Post

Only I ditched it
I hope you don't mean your trashed an ADS Amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post
I think this car is far from being anything original at this point. My mindset has always been OEM plus and the thought of saving weight and concealing the AC system up front is amazing to me. My biggest concern is if it will suffice in the Florida heat.
^^^ Ditto. I need to hear from someone that sees 90* with 80% humidity or 105* and 15% humidity. All the installs I have read are in fairly mild climates.

For the fluid it has to be from the master. If you spill any it runs through a drain hole and sets in the location where you found it. Is the overflow connected to a drain hose out the front?

The oil leak with the sender is common. Probably too late but they tend to leak where the plastic is crimped to the housing. Some people, like myself, brush JB weld around that seam to keep them from leaking.

And Beautiful Car!!

Last edited by 1979-930; 08-09-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
^^^ Ditto. I need to hear from someone that sees 90* with 80% humidity or 105* and 15% humidity. All the installs I have read are in fairly mild climates.

For the fluid it has to be from the master. If you spill any it runs through a drain hole and sets in the location where you found it. Is the overflow connected to a drain hose out the front?

The oil leak with the sender is common. Probably too late but they tend to leak where the plastic is crimped to the housing. Some people, like myself, brush JB weld around that seam to keep them from leaking.

And Beautiful Car!!
That is my exact concern and I think I will patiently wait to hear from someone who has installed it in that kind of climate.

It's funny you say that about the overflow. Last night I got everything ready to do the flush with a bleeder tool and once I pressurized the system I noticed fluid dripping out an overflow line up in the front bumper near the driver wheel. It sort of dripped the whole time I was bleeding the system and it stopped once I took pressure off it. That makes me nervous about the master and I think I'm going back under the carpet to check and see if there is additional fluid down there as well

My switch looks like this one below. I just cleaned it up and tightened it back down in hopes that it fixes it. If it doesn't, I'll just replace the whole thing to be safe. It's not an expensive part.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
the sender/switch leaks internally and then seeps out between the main metal body and the plastic insulator. pretty much all of this style of sender/switch will develop that leak eventually. i have a new one already for my car on a shelf at home. (which won't run anytime soon) if you were closer, i'd just give you that so you won't leak this weekend. i advise you go ahead and order one so you have it for when you get back.

as much as i love the 997tt, you can't beat a G-series 911. great car in a great color.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 08-10-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Re: brake fluid on drivers floor
What you have is a leaking rear seal on your master cylinder. The brake fluid then leaks into the vacuum booster (the side that is vented to atmosphere). The fluid then leaks down to the drivers floor. If you remove the booster you will find a lot of brake fluid in it. The fluid will eventually
destroy the rubber bladder in the booster. So, you need to replace your MS, and if you're lucky the booster will still be viable, but probably will fail in the future. Had this problem on my SC and a couple of years later the booster failed. Here's some threads on the problem:
MC Leak, Fluid Coming out of Brake Booster

Did I 'F' it up? (brake booster issue)

Good luck, I have seen your car several times after Jack Booth and his brother finished their project on it. she's a beauty!
Grant
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
the sender/switch leaks internally and then seeps out between the main metal body and the plastic insulator. pretty much all of this style of sender/switch will develop that leak eventually. i have a new one already for my car on a shelf at home. (which won't run anytime soon) if you were closer, i'd just give you that so you won't leak this weekend. i advise you go ahead and order one so you have it for when you get back.

as much as i love the 997tt, you can't beat a G-series 911. great car in a great color.
Thank you! I actually have one on order and it's arriving at my house today. I'll be putting the new one in tomorrow along with some replacement hood struts and a few other items. I drove the car to work today and was able to confirm that it was still leaking. Thanks for that information. I just assumed it leaked from the washer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
Re: brake fluid on drivers floor
What you have is a leaking rear seal on your master cylinder. The brake fluid then leaks into the vacuum booster (the side that is vented to atmosphere). The fluid then leaks down to the drivers floor. If you remove the booster you will find a lot of brake fluid in it. The fluid will eventually
destroy the rubber bladder in the booster. So, you need to replace your MS, and if you're lucky the booster will still be viable, but probably will fail in the future. Had this problem on my SC and a couple of years later the booster failed. Here's some threads on the problem:
MC Leak, Fluid Coming out of Brake Booster

Did I 'F' it up? (brake booster issue)

Good luck, I have seen your car several times after Jack Booth and his brother finished their project on it. she's a beauty!
Grant
WOW! Incredibly helpful Grant. Thank you so much. I will look these articles over today and inspect the car tomorrow. I'll probably just replace both while I'm in there assuming that's the issue. Should I replace with stock or is there an upgrade out there that's suggested?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: