Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post
WOW! Incredibly helpful Grant. Thank you so much. I will look these articles over today and inspect the car tomorrow. I'll probably just replace both while I'm in there assuming that's the issue. Should I replace with stock or is there an upgrade out there that's suggested?
Stock MC is just fine, but a new vacuum booster is a hard item to come by. I think they are NLA new but I can't state for a fact. Some folks have
found a good booster on this forum's classified section. Perhaps post a WTB post there. That's where I found mine.

EDIT: A good place to find good used parts is dCautomotive in N. Carolina, great folks to do business with. I have used them several times with great result. The vacuum booster P/N 93035502700 IF available new at a Porsche dealer shows a price of $2100 w/discount to
$1600 or so. Here's what dCautomotive has available in good used units.
http://dcautocatalog.com/search/index?target=+93035502700&searcher=&commit=Search
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa

Last edited by uwanna; 08-11-2018 at 02:19 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
Stock MC is just fine, but a new vacuum booster is a hard item to come by. I think they are NLA new but I can't state for a fact. Some folks have
found a good booster on this forum's classified section. Perhaps post a WTB post there. That's where I found mine.

EDIT: A good place to find good used parts is dCautomotive in N. Carolina, great folks to do business with. I have used them several times with great result. The vacuum booster P/N 93035502700 IF available new at a Porsche dealer shows a price of $2100 w/discount to
$1600 or so. Here's what dCautomotive has available in good used units.
dC AutomotiveOver 140,000 square feet of new and used Porsche parts
OK so I checked and I'm pretty sure the fluid is just residual from a previous install. I'm going to clean it up and see if anything new shows up. There was no indication that any fluid had spilled down from above where the MC is.

The downside is that I was unable to fix the oil leak by replacing the low oil pressure sensor. Something else on top of the block is leaking and I am unable to locate it yet. Any suggestions on what else is common? It's really hard to see what that would be.

On a lighter note I got some new frunk shocks and they work great! Kind of a pain to change them though.

I also installed the proper latch for the decklid this weekend. Previously the decklid was just sitting in place and did not have a way to lock it in the down position. I'd like to add shocks to the decklid as well. any suggestions on what shock to run for this? It feels like I might only need one base off how light the fiberglass is.

(pic of my dad helping me with the latch alignment)

Old 08-13-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

[QUOTE=PDKLOL;10140955]OK so I checked and I'm pretty sure the fluid is just residual from a previous install. I'm going to clean it up and see if anything new shows up. There was no indication that any fluid had spilled down from above where the MC is.
/QUOTE]
The real telltale of brake fluid being sucked into your vacuum booster
and leaking to the driver floor is to monitor your MC brake fluid level
very closely. If the level is dropping more than usual, it's an indication
that fluid is finding it's way to the booster. Some folks have drained as
much as two cups of fluid from a booster but still had operational brakes.
Just watch the level.
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
The real telltale of brake fluid being sucked into your vacuum booster
and leaking to the driver floor is to monitor your MC brake fluid level
very closely. If the level is dropping more than usual, it's an indication
that fluid is finding it's way to the booster. Some folks have drained as
much as two cups of fluid from a booster but still had operational brakes.
Just watch the level.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the reservoir.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Last night was a big breakthrough! I located an oil leak. Hopefully this is the only leak and I'll be spot free for a little while. I've got a mountain trip coming up this weekend and I'm super happy we were able to resolve this before the trip. It was also super cool to catch the oil leaking on camera when I discovered it.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

So I think the oil leak has gone. Last Friday I left work early down here in Tampa. I picked up my cousin and met up with my brother and we snagged my dad on the way north. We drove to my aunts place in Blarsville, GA. Arrival time was 1:30am. We woke up at 7am and did mountain driving all day. Sunday morning we drove over Blood Mountain and headed home. We logged nearly 1,400 miles on the journey and I pushed the car pretty hard. She did amazing and ran flawlessly. The car got pretty dirty as we were in rain half the time which made the mountains a bit more challenging.

The only issues we ran in to were on Sunday morning. I was running the car hard right behind my brother and I felt the throttle pedal hitting something in it's travel. I though to myself...man...could the pedal get stuck? The I said; ok if it does get stuck, what would I do. I played the scenario out in my head seconds before it actually did get stuck racing down the mountain tight on the tail of my brothers C6 Vette (no he was not pushing it as hard as he could have). We coasted down to a safe runoff spot and pulled up the carpet. I discovered that the gas pedal hinge seems to be loose and leaned over to the right and was hanging up on the body of the car. To bandaid the situation we notched out the body so it could not rub. Any suggestions on what part(s) I should replace down there in the pedal assembly?

The other issue was that we were getting water in front of the dash near the windshield seal on both sides. Thoughts on that? It ultimately got some water in the glove box and a drip or two on the pass footwell area.

The last one is a rolling video for sound

Untitled by William Reilly IV, on Flickr

Last edited by PDKLOL; 08-22-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

That is a stunning Porsche!
gone but not forgotten: 1987 Carrera RS backdate, '89 Carrera M491, '96 993, '93 964 RSA(two), '00 996, '97 Boxster, '79 911SC, '78 928, '76 924, '75 914, '74 911, '74 914, '72 911E, '72 911T/V, '71 911T, '70 911T, '66 912, '65 356C, '61 356B roadster, '60 356B
Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb911 View Post
That is a stunning Porsche!
I see what you did there! haha
Old 08-22-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Let me know when your back in the mountains...I live in Hiawassee and know EVERY great road in the area...there are many.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben parrish View Post
Let me know when your back in the mountains...I live in Hiawassee and know EVERY great road in the area...there are many.
I'll have to look you up for sure! At the very least we will be back up there for sure in May for a car show in Helen.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

The all red tails came in over the weekend. The front clear turn signals are on their way from Germany. FYI these tails are "URO" brand and I'm very happy with them. I saw a lot of concern about off brand products but this was worth the risk considering the price compared to the Bosch ones. PS- the Amber ones that came off are Bosch and I'm willing to sell if anyone wants them. Personally not an amber fan at all.

(DISREGARD the filter and oil...that was for my wife's 12 Beetle Turbo)

The next item was to get rid of that excessively large airbox. I saw a kit online offering a flange, gasket, and K&N filter. I asked my Dad to fabricate the flange for me and installed it with a new gasket. I have not run it yet but I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

Last edited by PDKLOL; 09-04-2018 at 07:30 AM..
Old 09-04-2018, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
The all red tails came in over the weekend. The front clear turn signals are on their way from Germany. FYI these tails are "URO" brand and I'm very happy with them. I saw a lot of concern about off brand products but this was worth the risk considering the price compared to the Bosch ones. PS- the Amber ones that came off are Bosch and I'm willing to sell if anyone wants them. Personally not an amber fan at all.

(DISREGARD the filter and oil...that was for my wife's 12 Beetle Turbo)

The next item was to get rid of that excessively large airbox. I saw a kit online offering a flange, gasket, and K&N filter. I asked my Dad to fabricate the flange for me and installed it with a new gasket. I have not run it yet but I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

Very cool! Your Dad could start a little cottage business cranking a powder coated version of that. Lovely. I HATE the gyrations required to get to the air box clips!!
Old 09-04-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
Very cool! Your Dad could start a little cottage business cranking a powder coated version of that. Lovely. I HATE the gyrations required to get to the air box clips!!
Thanks haha. he didn't have the right size diameter pipe (2.5'') so he made that part of it too. The first time I went to get that top clip in the back I put a nice long cut on my arm.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
OMG , love that car! Am a new 911 owner, those wheels look like mine! Is that a black pin stripe around the "spokes" on the fuchs? What size are those monsters? Front spoiler oil cooler?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
OMG , love that car! Am a new 911 owner, those wheels look like mine! Is that a black pin stripe around the "spokes" on the fuchs? What size are those monsters? Front spoiler oil cooler?
Thanks! The wheels are the original fuchs to the car but the faces were placed in a stepped barrel to 17'' and widened to fit the 930 fenders. I'm pretty sure the width is 8.5" and 9.5". No pin stripe, just silver faces and polished lips. No front oil cooler yet. The car seems to do really well in the high temps we have here in Florida. I'll probably mount a big condenser up there though when I get around to installing AC in the car.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
The all red tails came in over the weekend. The front clear turn signals are on their way from Germany. FYI these tails are "URO" brand and I'm very happy with them. I saw a lot of concern about off brand products but this was worth the risk considering the price compared to the Bosch ones.
Hi PDKLOL, glad you like the lenses! Not to brag too much, but most folks actually prefer our 911 taillight lenses over the Bosch. Our chrome version has trim that's more brilliant and consistent, and our lens coloring is crystal-clear and even across the entire lens (the Bosch lenses have little spots of darker color).

This video shows the differences between Bosch, URO, and other aftermarket lenses.
https://youtu.be/P8SCHUQRVHo
Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UROParts View Post
Hi PDKLOL, glad you like the lenses! Not to brag too much, but most folks actually prefer our 911 taillight lenses over the Bosch. Our chrome version has trim that's more brilliant and consistent, and our lens coloring is crystal-clear and even across the entire lens (the Bosch lenses have little spots of darker color).

This video shows the differences between Bosch, URO, and other aftermarket lenses.
https://youtu.be/P8SCHUQRVHo
Honestly I was super impressed with them and have zero complaints. Thanks for a great product!

In other news, the clear turn signal lenses arrived from FVD Brombacher and they look great! Super happy with the lack of amber on the car now.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Great story on the car and I love the colour. Enjoy.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
That looks like Jack Booth’s old car. Got any prior owner info?

If it’s his old car, I have pictures of at next to my car at Caffeine and Octane in Atlanta a few years ago. I believe the story goes that Jack and his brother painted the car in their garage.

If it is Jack’s old car and I had known that car was for sale I would’ve been in on it!

Great find!
I was wondering the exact same thing!!

Quote:

Yes it is his old car! I have been in contact with Jack and he has been extremely helpful.
We put the flairs on/ did the bodywork at Hot Wheels.. I have some pictures of it somewhere that shows the progression...!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche boy View Post
Great story on the car and I love the colour. Enjoy.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post
We put the flairs on/ did the bodywork at Hot Wheels.. I have some pictures of it somewhere that shows the progression...!
That's awesome! The body work is holding up well! I just have to figure out a water leak I'm getting near the front wind screen/dash right now. This car is a joy to drive!
Old 09-26-2018, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: