Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I picked up some metal bushings for the gas pedal last night AND I think I may have found the water leak I've been having in the frunk. I was getting water in up front as well as water flying up from the pass front corner of the dash. Looks like the frunk seal was folding over at the top and the front area was completely missing. Going to replace the seal and bushings to see where we go next.

I've also begun discussion with Johnny from Classic Retrofit about putting an order together for the electro cooler AC kit. I had been kind of hanging back to see other people install it in hot temps like FL but I think I'm ready to move forward.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

I picked up some metal bushings for the gas pedal last night AND I think I may have found the water leak I've been having in the frunk. I was getting water in up front as well as water flying up from the pass front corner of the dash. Looks like the frunk seal was folding over at the top and the front area was completely missing. Going to replace the seal and bushings to see where we go next.

I've also begun discussion with Johnny from Classic Retrofit about putting an order together for the electro cooler AC kit. I had been kind of hanging back to see other people install it in hot temps like FL but I think I'm ready to move forward.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Last weekend we took the 911 and the miata out to the local PCA Autocross and had a blast. I took first in class over the other air cooled cars out there. Waiting to see the overall results listed. My wife and my friend ran the miata. My wife killed it out there and said she's ready to run again when it's a little cooler here in FL. It was up in the 90s that day. The last one is a quick video of my fastest run of the day.

auto-x
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

I decided ahead of the AC system that I would do the headlights. The last few times I have taken the car out at night, I have realized the factory H5 headlights suck something aweful! Last weekend on my way to the local cars and coffee I hit like 3 different things in the road and wondered what they were because I did not see them coming.

I worked with Clay from Closed Course Motorsports who is incredibly responsive and was kind enough to set up a full DIY write up for his headlight build. For under $600, you can build your own headlights! Clay supplies the reflector shroud with city lights, and projector back-plates with hardware for mounting the projectors. You purchase those from him here-----> CCM Headlight Kit and he sends you a list of other parts with links to purchase them. Although I have not started this assembly yet, I can tell you that after review of his instructions, the headlights require some wiring and assembly skills of a DIYer. This is something I am looking forward to doing as I have always been big on DIY projects.

I have been doing a lot of headlight research and there are plenty of other great options ranging from $900-$2,200 as a plug and play option but lower cost and ability to assemble them myself attracted me to this route. I plan to do a full write up of the process and if all goes well, I will be helping my dad do his 89 930 with this kit.

You can reach Clay direct by email here: closedcoursemotorsport@gmail.com
His DIY for building the headlights is on his blog here: CCM DIY LED Headlights
Old 11-07-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

I really dig those lights. Way to go - first thing I will do when my car is back on the road.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I really dig those lights. Way to go - first thing I will do when my car is back on the road.
Some of the parts have started to arrive! I'll keep you posted on how it goes for sure!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Will you go with clear or more stock looking fluted lens?
2016 BMW 328i
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
Will you go with clear or more stock looking fluted lens?
Because the headlight assembly kit (111 941 037 C) comes with clear glass I will start with that look and see how I like it. It's only $25/side to grab some fluted H4 lenses (my initial preference).

The H4 rings arrived today and the CCM kit parts arrived yesterday. Today I should be getting the projectors and LED bulbs. Next week the headlight assembly kits should be here. I'm unfortunately about to get really busy with work and various other things around the holidays so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get started with this.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

OK so I started the process of the headlight assembly last week. My time is rather limited right now so I'm taking this in steps. I did notice a few things that were different so I'm going to cover another quick DIY here for the headlight assembly.

First off:
This post will cover just the headlight assembly. When I get tot he wiring, I'll post that in one chunk as well. So you need some space on a workbench to lay everything out and perhaps some towels to cover stuff up and prevent scratching. Remember that you are working with the internals of a headlight so you don't want to expose it to a lot of dirt or fibers from a old towel.

The tools I used were: flat head and phillips screw drivers, needle nose pliers, a portable band saw, a grinder, and if you want to make things go a little quicker than screw drivers...I used an electric driver. I laid everything out first and then sorted things around so that I was only starting with one headlight at a time.

The next thing I did was grab the pliers and start disassembling the Beetle headlight assembly. It's fairly easy to do. Basically you need to remove the spring clips from the inner and outer rings from the back side of the assembly. You also have two adjuster screws that help hold the outer trim ring (has springs on them) that need to be removed as well. The last piece is a turn signal housing that's held in by one single screw. Remove that as well (It's not getting re-used).

Below we have a shot of the headlight assembly removed and disassembled. Use the needle nose pliers to grab hold of the spring clips and push one side down to pull them away from the spot they are in and release tension slowly.

Now you will want to grab the Closed Course Motorsport back plate (this holds your projector in place). This is going to go inside the back of the headlight assembly with the silver ring on top of it so the spring clips can hold it together. In the photos below you can see where I have placed that in and put the spring clips in place to hold it all together. The backing plate is directional so make sure you have it so the notch and city light wiring hole are at the bottom side of the housing. 5 spring clips go back on and make sure they are laying in the proper orientation so they don't pop out.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

The next step is to grab a projector and disassemble it. This is pretty straight forward but there are 4 screws holding the black part and the eye lid to the chrome part and 3 screws holding the clip on to the back part of the chrome housing.

Once taken apart, Clay from CCM says to tighten down the threaded collar on the body of the chrome part and cut off the excess threading. I noticed that mine was slightly different from his and I only needed to cut the threads off and grind it down to a smooth edge. I did not have to drill pilot holes and re-tap them for the screws.

I ended up grinding it down a little more after this shot but you get the idea. The threads are cut off flat with the back of the collar. Next you will want to remove the collar as you do not need this part anymore.

Now you can clean everything up from the shavings and put it all back together!

Modified VS Un-Modified

Now you are ready to install the projector onto the CCM back plate! This is a really exciting part as the assembly will start to look like a headlight! The projector is bolted on by 4 bolts with 4 nylon spacers (helps dissipate heat) and 8 washers secured by 4 nylon lock nuts. I was able to assemble this on my own but it would help if you had an extra set of hands.

Last edited by PDKLOL; 11-16-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I had the same water leak. The issue is either a bad seal or corrosion in the channel which holds the seal allowing water in. You will need to remove the windshield and check out the channel and replaced the seal.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 11-16-2018, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

This is where things start to get fun. I struggled with this part of the assembly. Hopefully if someone does this after me, they don't have to struggle as much. Next step is to feed the CCM city light wiring through the back plate and place in the back of the chrome CCM shroud as shown below. At the bottom of the chrome shroud there is a circular tab that's supposed fit into the round hole at the bottom of the headlight assembly. I found this to not be the case after I installed the lens. For everything to fit together with the clear lens, the should tab was pushed back a little further in the assembly so don't panic about that.

Now go ahead and grab your H4 trim ring and lay it upside down on the work bench. Place the adjuster screws in the holes (qty 2) and then set the springs back in them. I used the black screws that came with the new trim rings. From here I placed the glass up against the headlight assembly (fluted lines at the top) and held it all together and laid it face down in the middle of the trim ring. It's important to note that you need to make sure the trim rings is in the proper orientation for install because it can be installed upside down. screw the two adjuster screws into the assembly holding the ring to the rest of the headlight. When you are done with install, these two screws should not be tight. They should just have tension on them. Carefully set everything together pressing the lens seal in the assembly and the trim ring on top of that. The trim ring kinda rolled over the edge of the glass on one side to fit snug. After you have everything in place, Install 3-4 spring clips to get the ring held on nicely. Clay says to not install any on the top or bottom. I installed two on each side kinda overlapping each other.

It's important to note that I struggled to get this all to lay together and fit right with the clear glass lenses that came with the headlight assembly. Supposedly the H4 lenses fit much better and I may end up going that route later but I wanted to see how the clear would look on the car first. Because the clear lens pushed everything back a little in the assembly I noticed that the silver and white parts of the assembly did not hold together as well as they did out the box. Clay suggested to run some self tapping screws though them so I will be doing that before I install into the car. The next step will be to do the wiring. Hopefully I'll be getting to it the following weekend.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
I had the same water leak. The issue is either a bad seal or corrosion in the channel which holds the seal allowing water in. You will need to remove the windshield and check out the channel and replaced the seal.
Thanks! I will check into that. Do I need to replace the metal in the windshield seal when I remove the glass?
Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
LED Headlights

Wow!
Those are really killer headlights. They are going to look so great on your "G" car!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: