Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Finally got out of the water!

UPDATE: I'm going to use this thread to continue the ongoing project so it's all in one place. I would imagine I'll be posting several DIY's as we go. Stay tuned!

Current future mods list:
Lower ride height, spacers, and corner balance (Will probably replace suspension components as needed)
Electrocooler A/C system
Reupholster or replace seats
Projector Headlights
LT headers with custom exhaust
ITB setup (slippery slope...we will see what ends up getting associated with this)
Long hood conversion (long term plan, and it's a maybe)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I'm new to Pelican and just purchased my first air cooled 911 this past weekend. I've been a long time aircooled enthusiast but had to work my way up to be able to get into this realm. Unfortunately I missed a great chance to buy into these around 2011, as you all know, and had to pay a premium for something that would have been half the cost back in the day. I previously had a 2000 C2, moving up to a 2001 Turbo, and then a 2007 Turbo. I sold the 2007 Turbo about a week ago and jumped on a car that's actually been native to the Pelican forums for some time. The car was originally a Marine Blue 1987 Carrera. In 2009/10 the car was converted to widebody using 930 steel fenders and fiberglass bumpers. It's a great looking and sounding car. I don't think there have been many updates on this car in a while but I plan to share what I accomplish as well as inquire for some assistance along the way.

Saturday morning at 3:30am, my wife and I woke up and headed to the Tampa airport and flew to BWI. The owner was kind enough to pick us up and drive us an hour and a half to his house out in Shenandoah Junction, WV. His house had a barn converted into a nice garage with a lift.

We were pleasantly surprised with the car and the owner! By 11am we were on the road and headed South!

We took 81 and started heading towards Asheville in hopes of getting some great food and some mountain views along the way (we don't see mountains in Florida ).

[/url]

We found some great food and headed off to Blarisville, GA for the night. My Aunt and Uncle have an incredible view from their place! The view was unreal and so were the roads.

Sunday morning we headed out and ripped through the mountains and headed towards Atlanta. On the way down we ran into a fellow PCA member that was headed to Hennessy Porsche for a concourse. He invited us to follow and we did! We got to rest for a little and drool over some beautiful cars. I was extremely impressed with their facility! After that we managed to stop by and see the school they used for the filming of the Netflix TV show "Stranger Things".

So far the trip had gone perfectly. Aside from having no AC or radio in the car. Just south of Atlanta we started to smell some burning plastic and oil. We made a stop to check on it and found the heater hose (I think that's what is was) had come off the fan housing. I managed to get it back on and keep moving. I also noticed we had an oil leak actively burning so we were causing a small bit of engine bay smoke. I watched the oil pressure and temp the whole way and we stayed in a good spot. After driving for nearly two whole days (Approx 1,200 miles) we made it home.

Over the past two days, I've managed to get the car registered, washed and a radio installed! We discovered that the speakers were all there and it actually had an old ADS amp hooked up. Once I figured out all the wiring (with the help of a good friend) we were playing tunes through some stereo equipment that had not been on in at least 8 years! It sounds great!

So that leaves me where I am today! I am so happy we finally have an aircooled 911. There truly is no substitute for the experience you get driving these cars and meeting fellow enthusiasts. The next step is to identify what I need to order to install AC in it again. After that I'll be probably tackling either new seats or getting these Recaro's re-done.

Last edited by PDKLOL; 10-05-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Old 07-31-2018, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Congrats on the beautiful new ride - sounds like it was quite a great trip. We're here to help with any tech or part needs.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Congrats on the beautiful new ride - sounds like it was quite a great trip. We're here to help with any tech or part needs.
Thanks Dmitry! It was a little hot with no AC but definitely one for the books!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
A trip not to be forgotten. Well done!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
Great looking car! And glad to hear it's coming back to the Tampa area. I live in St Pete - reach out if you ever want to hit Cars & Coffee!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very cool, the sellers home was just a few miles from my shop at Summit Point Raceway!

Looks like you enjoyed the drive back, always nice to take the scenic route.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sweet car! Marine Blue?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM View Post
A trip not to be forgotten. Well done!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
Great looking car! And glad to hear it's coming back to the Tampa area. I live in St Pete - reach out if you ever want to hit Cars & Coffee!
Very cool! I'm actually going to the Reeves Motorsports Gathering this Sat morning. Care to join? It's like 15min from my place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans65 View Post
Very cool, the sellers home was just a few miles from my shop at Summit Point Raceway!

Looks like you enjoyed the drive back, always nice to take the scenic route.
It was such a great trip. A true testament to the cars current state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool87 View Post
Sweet car! Marine Blue?
Yes! Marine Blue interior and exterior. I would have never guessed I would have gotten myself into a blue car but my wife and I really like this color.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post
Thanks!

Very cool! I'm actually going to the Reeves Motorsports Gathering this Sat morning. Care to join? It's like 15min from my place

It was such a great trip. A true testament to the cars current state.

Yes! Marine Blue interior and exterior. I would have never guessed I would have gotten myself into a blue car but my wife and I really like this color.

I have an MB 930. Awesome color that changes with light. Blue interiors were a non starter for me years ago but I love them now. My seats are linen but interior trim in a dark blue. Funny thing is I thought it was black when I bought the car. I probably would have passed if I knew back then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-31-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Love that color!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Love that color!
Thanks! Me too!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

That is a stunning looking 87!

That widebody is begging for a turbo! These engines respond really well to boost! See my sig.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
What exhaust is on the car? Clearly not stock.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Gorgeous

Welcome, I've seen that car in pics for years on the forum, a beauty.

I'm a former resident of Lutz in the Tampa area and had great experience maintaining my '84 Carrera M491 with Chilly Performance, 6028 W Linebaugh Ave, Tampa, FL 33625 - if you needd someone!

Best of luck, Scott

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
That is a stunning looking 87!

That widebody is begging for a turbo! These engines respond really well to boost! See my sig.
Thanks! Did you do a custom build?

Quote:
What exhaust is on the car? Clearly not stock.
It's got a cat delete and a M&K system that they built custom tips for. It sounds so mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4flyboy View Post

I'm a former resident of Lutz in the Tampa area and had great experience maintaining my '84 Carrera M491 with Chilly Performance, 6028 W Linebaugh Ave, Tampa, FL 33625 - if you needd someone!

Best of luck, Scott
Thanks Scott! Chilly performance has helped my dad a lot with his 89 930. They are great people.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome looking car, congrats on your new ride, hard to improve the looks of that one!
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
Awesome looking car, congrats on your new ride, hard to improve the looks of that one!
Thanks! There is not much I need to do on the exterior really. Next up is AC and seats.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Can’t wait to hear your exhaust. It’s in the very near future for my SC!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4flyboy View Post

Best of luck, Scott
Scott... Duck & flares in living color!

(PD... Scott's been yammering about your setup since birth. Is great to see it! Fine setup!)

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.

Last edited by Discseven; 08-03-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Can’t wait to hear your exhaust. It’s in the very near future for my SC!
Thanks Ethan! Hoping to be bale to meet up tomorrow with you at the Reeves Cars and Coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Scott... Duck & flares in living color!

(PD... Scott's been yammering about your setup since birth. Is great to see it! Fine setup!)
Thanks! I'm utterly in love with it as I've always been fond of my dads 930 flares and the duck tail. makes for an aggressive look!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: