Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My dear. You're going pretty deep for a car that you have not had on the road for a while.... Regarding the heat boxes: I realize that you're in Al, and don't really need heat, but I *suggest* that if you're going to get some custom headers, and usually don't see the headers while you're driving that beauty (unless there is something going horribly) - pop for the heat boxes so that you have it IF you need it. I backdated my heat, but it's there when I need/want it (when the temp drops below 50F).
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I personally would not run Bosh Platinums in an air cooled car.

Perhaps others will disagree....
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post

The problem with that is the headers look amazing on their own and the heat exchanger really uglies them up in my opinion
^
It does Scott but I am glad I have heat, as I am a bit older and in North Texas. My system is M&K also.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robey5 View Post
My dear. You're going pretty deep for a car that you have not had on the road for a while.... .
That was my reason for buying it so I could do this to it. I have other fun cars that I drive all the time. No better way to learn about these than take one apart and put it back together in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
I personally would not run Bosh Platinums in an air cooled car.

Perhaps others will disagree....
What would you suggest?
That is what was in there when I bought it. I will be replacing the plugs as it gets built back up.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG81 View Post
^
It does Scott but I am glad I have heat, as I am a bit older and in North Texas. My system is M&K also.
Glad to hear you have M&K also Steve. I like to look to your car as an example.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
what would you suggest?
That is what was in there when i bought it. I will be replacing the plugs as it gets built back up.
ngk bpr5es

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
ngk bpr5es
+1 I have used NGKs for years with no trouble. Those Bosch platinums tend to cause pre-ignition.

Bosch also makes a copper plug, not sure of it's availability or correct number.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Tim and Gordon. Have added that plug to my notes
Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Under the radar

Garage
Here is more than you want to know about plugs.

911 sc spark plugs
Old 10-12-2018, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

The headers with the heat exchangers are works of art.

Not ugly. Very nice.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Note that the recommended plug for a ‘79 is different from ‘83. NGK recommends the 7es for my 83. Just mentioning this for those playing along at home. The 5es is a hotter plug. With NGK, the lower the number the hotter the plug.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
The headers with the heat exchangers are works of art.

Not ugly. Very nice.
^
I agree with this statement whole heartedly.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feedback on the heater boxes. I told Brian at M&K I would go with those the other day.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
10/16/18
Total hours = 50

People ask me all the time how many hours it took me to build my Cobra. I have no idea so I am keeping track this time. Will start including that in my build updates. Currently at 50. An experienced guy probably could do what I have done in 15. My learn as I go process and heavy documentation with notes and photos for reassembly is quite slow but I am in no hurry so no worries.

Started fitting the rear bumper from EB motorsports. Quite pleased with the fit out of the box. Spent a lot of time looking things over to come up with a good way to mount it. Also realized I would like a small gap where it meets the body on the sides. I ordered some 3/16" neoprene type material that I can make a trim gasket out of. That project is on hold until it arrives. Should have enough to use on the front bumper as well. I think I have come up with a good plan to mount it. Will be excited to get back on that next week when I have time to work again.

In the meantime I went back to stripping out the interior. Got the rest of the carpet and door panels out. Want to look into a simpler looking door card when I put it back together. Carefully labeled the wires for the window switches so hopefully I have no issues hooking those back up.

I have not done anything with the dash or headliner yet. I do intend to remove the glass for the color change. I am wondering if it is feasible to leave the dash in place and just cover it during paint. The car previously had a glass out repaint it the not to distant past. The more I take apart the more thorough that job appears to have been and the prep was quite good. When I started this project in my mind I was taking the car down to bare metal. As I progress and I had my painter over to look at it I am more leaning towards painting over the red. I sort of feel with the condition of the car going all the way down to bare metal and starting fresh would be a waste of time and money. Need to learn more on that.
Feedback on that idea is appreciated.

On the shopping front I have ordered the wheels from fifteen52. I have decided on the exhaust system and plan to order than Nov 1 or there abouts. I am in contact with GTS classics about designing some custom seats incorporating my color scheme. Looking at the Vallelunga seat specifically as they advise that is good for taller drivers, I like the looks, and I like how it mounts. Also have my custom milled one of a kind shift handle in production from my friend and look forward to having that soon. Seeing as the Cobra shifter is my favorite part of the car I had to get something special for this one also. (My Cobra shifter is the flight control stick from my Dads Air Force jet. Removed from his Jet May 12, 1968 and sat in his office until he passed away. I returned it to service in the car.)

Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:

Carefully labeled the wires for the window switches so hopefully I have no issues hooking those back up.

(My Cobra shifter is the flight control stick from my Dads Air Force jet.
^

Scott I color coded mine.... I actually took different colored paint and spotted each connector and each switch pole tab. I know it sounds like a PITA and it was. Some things take as long as they take.

The Cobra shifter is way way awesome. I have several memento's from my dad's flying career in my office and at home. Your re-purposing the control stick to a shifter handle is very cool.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Aero handmedowns.................

Quote:
10/16/18
Total hours = 50

People ask me all the time how many hours it took me to build my Cobra. I have no idea so I am keeping track this time. Will start including that in my build updates. Currently at 50. An experienced guy probably could do what I have done in 15. My learn as I go process and heavy documentation with notes and photos for reassembly is quite slow but I am in no hurry so no worries.

Started fitting the rear bumper from EB motorsports. Quite pleased with the fit out of the box. Spent a lot of time looking things over to come up with a good way to mount it. Also realized I would like a small gap where it meets the body on the sides. I ordered some 3/16" neoprene type material that I can make a trim gasket out of. That project is on hold until it arrives. Should have enough to use on the front bumper as well. I think I have come up with a good plan to mount it. Will be excited to get back on that next week when I have time to work again.

In the meantime I went back to stripping out the interior. Got the rest of the carpet and door panels out. Want to look into a simpler looking door card when I put it back together. Carefully labeled the wires for the window switches so hopefully I have no issues hooking those back up.

I have not done anything with the dash or headliner yet. I do intend to remove the glass for the color change. I am wondering if it is feasible to leave the dash in place and just cover it during paint. The car previously had a glass out repaint it the not to distant past. The more I take apart the more thorough that job appears to have been and the prep was quite good. When I started this project in my mind I was taking the car down to bare metal. As I progress and I had my painter over to look at it I am more leaning towards painting over the red. I sort of feel with the condition of the car going all the way down to bare metal and starting fresh would be a waste of time and money. Need to learn more on that.
Feedback on that idea is appreciated.

On the shopping front I have ordered the wheels from fifteen52. I have decided on the exhaust system and plan to order than Nov 1 or there abouts. I am in contact with GTS classics about designing some custom seats incorporating my color scheme. Looking at the Vallelunga seat specifically as they advise that is good for taller drivers, I like the looks, and I like how it mounts. Also have my custom milled one of a kind shift handle in production from my friend and look forward to having that soon. Seeing as the Cobra shifter is my favorite part of the car I had to get something special for this one also. (My Cobra shifter is the flight control stick from my Dads Air Force jet. Removed from his Jet May 12, 1968 and sat in his office until he passed away. I returned it to service in the car.)

When my father was in jr. high school in Richmond, VA, he and some of his classmates built a rubber band powered model of the Wright Flyer. Everything was handmade, even the balsa wood propellers. Some how, some way, one of the props survived and was given to me when I was a teenager. Fast forward about 50 years and now it is in a small display case sitting on my son's desk in his office at Gulfstream! He is an aerospace engineer with a specialty in internal and external accoustics. The little wood propeller was carved in about 1926 so it is not too far from being 100 yrs old!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Continuing to plug away.
Total hours - 59:45

Continuing to work on the rear bumper. I was waiting for some material I could make a gasket out of to come in the mail for the area between the bumper and the side of the rear fender. That came in and I was able to make my gasket and am pleased with how it looks and the resulting gap. I then went to continue mounting and the area I have circled in green is giving me an issue. When I have the front and rear lined up how I like the bumper part is slightly recessed along the side. It is small but not exactly how I want it. This is my first time ever fitting a fiberglass body part and instead of doing something to mess it up I am having my paint and body guy make a house call to give me some advice on how to proceed. Since I am learning as I go and a first timer on a lot of this stuff I have no problem realizing when I am in over my head on a particular area and asking for reinforcement. Probably take a couple weeks until our schedules line up but I have plenty of other stuff to do.

Also been continuing my motor teardown and coming up with a plan of what all I want to accomplish. Removed then fiberglass top shroud piece, wiring harness, and fan. What a mess it was under there. After a good amount of time cleaning parts. My least favorite thing to do but it needs to be done. Spent about 90 minutes on the fiberglass shroud. It looks just ok, not great. Not sure if I should have that painted since you cant see much of it anyways once the engine is all back together. At this rate when the car is done I will have removed about 50 pounds of grime and grease!

Was excited to receive my custom milled shift knob from a friend I made on instagram. @wc_lathewerks He does some amazing work and I had fun collaborating with him on a one of a kind shift knob that uses my color scheme. I can admire that piece sitting in my office until I am ready to install it in the car.

Continuing to acquire key components for the build. I have been talking with GTS classics about some seats. I really like the look of the Vallelunga. I am planning to do a custom pattern and striping in alcantara to compliment the exterior color scheme. Colored shells are also available so I am working up a plan for a unique seat. Still working out the details on that. Stefan at GTS has been great to work with coming up with a custom plan. Since I am tall and deal with back issues from a previously broken back comfort is of prime importance to me. Tough to commit to this cost of a seat without trying it out so I am arranging for Stefan to send me a seat to try out before committing to buy. Then I will ship it back to him. That will be additional expense on my end but I figure it is worth it to make sure I am pleased with the fit prior to proceeding. Wish I could find a seat local to try out but that does not seem likely. Below is a picture of what the basic seat will look like.

Having fun with the project. Seems like progress is very slow but that is ok. Look forward to getting it back on the road one of these days!

Old 10-23-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
11/8/18 73:45 hours

Trying something new for an update since the pictures at this point are really boring. Made a short video log of where I stand. Check it out please. (I did mis speak in the video. Mistakenly said 83 hours. It is actually 73 hours. I have accomplished the work that someone who knows what they are doing could do in 20! haha)

https://youtu.be/u531cpqKJvo
Old 11-08-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Nice work. The disassembly is moving along. It looks like you are labeling everything well. I can't stress this enough. Over label and bag everything. So much easier going back together.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 11-08-2018, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: