Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

We Go Behind-the-Scenes with Rennline, and You Get to Suggest the Products You Want.

Rennline has consistently been expanding their product lines to cater to even more Porsche, BMW, MINI, Volkswagen, Audi, and Mercedes Benz enthusiasts. They’ve added many new applications to their ExactFit phone mount lineup and are continuing to add more models. Just this past week we worked with Rennline to help with product development on the 2018 Panamera. Check out the video below for a quick behind the scenes interview with Tom Rittenburg at Rennline on how they develop their application specific ExactFit phone mounts.

Rennline is always thinking of ways to help automotive enthusiasts by producing the products that people want. Because they’re so willing to help automotive enthusiasts, we figure it would be best to ask you, the Pelican community, what you want produced. If you have any suggestions or ideas on products Rennline should produce, please post them below. We’ll be sure to pass on the suggestions, and if your idea will be put into production, you'll receive a FREE one. That's right, Rennline will thank you by sending you a free product that you came up with - how cool is that!

We're going to be making regular updates on our YouTube account, including everything from event coverage to product demos, vehicle features and more! Make sure you check out our YouTube channel and subscribe to it for original content from us!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I love Rennline! I have bought a rear coupling cover, euro crush tubes, blower cover, stick shift aluminum knob, Iphone mount that hangs off the clock, fire extinguisher and seat mount, and I plan to buy some additional products soon like the floor boards and pedals.

My main suggestion is to please use metric hardware! It's a details thing, but as I've installed these parts, I'm always surprised and a bit disappointed that the hardware provided is Imperial/sae hardware. I think that is one detail that would go a long way.

My second suggestion is for Pelican to stock more Rennline parts, or for Rennline to improve their West coast shipping. My last order took nearly two weeks to receive the parts. I'm in Las Vegas. I get stuff fast from Pelican, but when it's dropped shipped from Rennline I expect 10 business days. That's too long in my opinion.

My third suggestion is to clear coat or harden the paint somehow. It's too fragile. It can get scratched or damaged while installing, let alone in use. I've had many parts locally powdercoated and they seem to be much more durable than the blower cover or fire ext. mount etc.

Some other positives to end on a good note, I think they package their parts very well and the catalogs and videos are excellent. They seem to be innovating and creating new products all the time. I like that. Get a west coast distributor or stock all your parts at Pelican! :-)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 08-18-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have never been disappointed w/any Rennline products and they are some of the best people I've had the pleasure of meeting in the US. I will be a customer of theirs until the end.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Thank you both for your kind words and suggestions - we'll be passing them along to our friends at Rennline.

Let us know what new products you'd like to see in the works at Rennline.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Love my Rennline purchases...though I agree paint can be a bit sensitive on some pieces. I would suggest they look at the smugglers box cover to see if hinges can be improved (strengthened) and allow opening in either direction versus back to front
Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

how exactly is the phone mount mounted in the 77 targa?
Old 09-05-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Jacksonville, Fl

3 products to consider:
1) nice looking radio/vent delete plate. One for the clock gauge might be nice as well.
2) A piece to allow for removal of footwell heater blowers that directly connects ducting to pipe from the heat exchangers. For those that don't want to do a full Vent/heat delete
3) Brake/ oil cooler ducts using existing fog light holes. Something that allows ram air that enters the foglight holes and routed to oil cooler or brakes.

Just spit-ballin here

Last edited by aread; 09-05-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Old 09-05-2018, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Top-of-the-window 3rd brake lights with housings that do not obscure rear visibility for the air-cooled cars.

Third brake light: Anyone made a housing?
Old 09-08-2018, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Billet knobs for the vent controls on the dash to compliment the other offerings from Rennline.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Big thanks to the Pelican Crew for setting this thread up. As Eric and Dmitry mentioned, we are always looking for new product ideas, and thought the best way to figure out what you guys and girls want is to just ask!

Our team will be looking at each idea posted here, and we will be making an assessment based on the following questions:
  • Does it fit within our manufacturing capabilities?
  • What is the market potential?
  • Does the product align with the rest of our product line?

If we decide to move forward with your product idea, we will reach out by PM, and work with you where required. When we finalize the product, we will send you a free final product off the first production run.

Thanks again to you all as well as Pelican for all of the support over the last 17 years!

Tom Rittenburg
VP - Rennline Automotive
Follow us on Instagram @Rennline
Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Billet knobs for the vent controls on the dash to compliment the other offerings from Rennline.
This is a great idea. We will do our due diligence and see how many different knobs would be required to cover the aircooleds. We'll follow up by PM if we proceed.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM View Post
Top-of-the-window 3rd brake lights with housings that do not obscure rear visibility for the air-cooled cars.

Third brake light: Anyone made a housing?
Love the idea. We could use them on our builds here as well. We don't deal with much lighting but do work closely with Flat6 Illuminations. We'll pass the idea along to them.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aread View Post
3 products to consider:
1) nice looking radio/vent delete plate. One for the clock gauge might be nice as well.
2) A piece to allow for removal of footwell heater blowers that directly connects ducting to pipe from the heat exchangers. For those that don't want to do a full Vent/heat delete
3) Brake/ oil cooler ducts using existing fog light holes. Something that allows ram air that enters the foglight holes and routed to oil cooler or brakes.

Just spit-ballin here
1) This is do-able. We have a car in the shop right now that needs one of these. We'll follow up by PM as we proceed. What year is your car?
2)Can you elaborate on footwell heater blowers? Don't know that I've run into these before.
3)We don't deal with any composites in house, so this one would probably be out of our scope.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7783911 View Post
how exactly is the phone mount mounted in the 77 targa?
Here's a link to the install instructions
https://youtu.be/wnCImnAjMK4
Old 09-10-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
I love Rennline! I have bought a rear coupling cover, euro crush tubes, blower cover, stick shift aluminum knob, iPhone mount that hangs off the clock, fire extinguisher and seat mount, and I plan to buy some additional products soon like the floor boards and pedals.

My main suggestion is to please use metric hardware! It's a details thing, but as I've installed these parts, I'm always surprised and a bit disappointed that the hardware provided is Imperial/sae hardware. I think that is one detail that would go a long way.
Firstly thanks so much for all the feedback. This is very valuable to us, and its something that we don't get very often. With that said, I can't say this is the first time we've been asked about the SAE hardware. Unfortunately while it seems like a simple fix, it is a MAJOR undertaking to convert all of our prints, tooling, hardware, and inventory. A little background on the reasoning behind the SAE; we were originally an aerospace company manufacturing turbine parts and other odds end ends for the big aerospace companies. All of the work we were doing was called out as SAE. We started manufacturing Porsche parts on the side in 2000 using the tooling that we already had. The Porsche parts side of the company took off, and before we knew it we had a few thousand SKU's and hundreds of thousands of units on the shelf all to SAE spec.

My intention is not to provide an excuse, but rather to provide an explanation as to how we ended up with all SAE hardware. We have discussed various methods to convert, but at this time we don't have the capacity to do so.

Quote:
My second suggestion is for Pelican to stock more Rennline parts, or for Rennline to improve their West coast shipping. My last order took nearly two weeks to receive the parts. I'm in Las Vegas. I get stuff fast from Pelican, but when it's dropped shipped from Rennline I expect 10 business days. That's too long in my opinion.
We have been in talks with Pelican over the past few months regarding exactly this. Hold tight for improved West Coast fulfillment. Additionally we have recently added Fedex and USPS shipping methods to our site to offer more opportunities to improve cross country transit times.

Quote:
My third suggestion is to clear coat or harden the paint somehow. It's too fragile. It can get scratched or damaged while installing, let alone in use. I've had many parts locally powdercoated and they seem to be much more durable than the blower cover or fire ext. mount etc.
I'd be interested to know what brand your powdercoater is going with? After testing several different brands over the years, we've gone with DuPont for all of our powdercoated finishes. We have received good feedback regarding durability, so I'd be interested to learn more about the type of damage that you're seeing (what scratched it, was it scratched through to metal, did it flake, etc). Can you PM me some photos, and I will pass them along to our powdercoating contractor. If you are having better luck with another product, we would be happy to test that out as well.

Quote:
Some other positives to end on a good note, I think they package their parts very well and the catalogs and videos are excellent. They seem to be innovating and creating new products all the time. I like that. Get a west coast distributor or stock all your parts at Pelican! :-)
Thanks again for the feedback! We have put a lot of energy into ramping up product development this year. We are working towards a goal of 1 new product every week. Improved fulfillment is also in the works as discussed above.

Last edited by Rennline; 09-10-2018 at 01:34 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7783911 View Post
Love my Rennline purchases...though I agree paint can be a bit sensitive on some pieces. I would suggest they look at the smugglers box cover to see if hinges can be improved (strengthened) and allow opening in either direction versus back to front
Interesting idea on the hinge location. Not sure why the factory chose to hinge it the way the did. A new latch would also be required as the car currently has the latch installed on the backside of the smugglers box.

Can you elaborate on the hinge strength issue?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I’d like to echo 75 911s sentiments as I have been incredibly happy with Rennline products and customer service. The thoughtful and thorough replies from Tom and the Rennline camp within this thread proves they appreciate our input. I was not aware of the aerospace background, but it really makes sense for those that have had their hands on the billet offerings. Thanks again for contributing to this community.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Driver's License Owner

Seconds on radio delete! 917 key blanks. Seconds on brake cooling parts. Any and all items for lightweight street or racing. Billet velocity stacks and screens for PMOs!!! Engine bay mounts for MSD or fuel pressure gauge. Thanks for considering.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

New Product Idea

Similar to your new oil filter drip tray, I'd like a drip tray that slides under the right cam housing and catches and directs the oil that pours out when removing the lower cam housing when doing a valve adjustment. Presently the oil dumps on the heat exchanger and takes a bit of driving to "burn off". Customers don't appreciate the smoke or the smell. I have fashioned one from aluminum sheeting but have been unable to make it not fall out if I disturb it while adjusting the valves on air cooled 6 cylinder engines. Still, it is better than not having a drip tray.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I just recently purchased a new set of window crank handles for my 77 911. The 1st place I looked was the Rennline website and much to my dismay there wasn't any. So How about some crazy cool manual window cranks?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: