Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
Stupid question, but one thing I really appreciate about my current head unit is the built-in voltmeter. Any way to display system voltage with this head unit?

Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #221 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
Stupid question, but one thing I really appreciate about my current head unit is the built-in voltmeter. Any way to display system voltage with this head unit?
Nope. I have the Lighter style one that is about .2 Higher than Bat. That would be an amazing feature..

I had mine clip and looked at my Volt meter. it showed 14.9-15.1.

Turned out to be a bad ground in the Pax door light. Now all good at 14.1-14.5 with no lights on or AC.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #222 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage

For the volt meter, my solution was this. I love having a real readout, and it is a very visual indicator of the fact the fan belt is turning the alternator and the cooling fan. Right in front of my face. Bonus is the stupid shift indicator is gone.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-11-2020, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #223 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
What I find watching my digital one is 13.8 fully loaded to 14.5 dry. Only was concerned when 15.0 and higher. Is it possible to get a more zoomed in scale on that mod that shows decimal points with out digital?
Old 06-12-2020, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #224 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
which head unit has a built-in voltmeter?
Old 06-12-2020, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #225 (permalink)

Pioneer DEH-80PRS amongst others (bottom right hand corner of display).

I only realized this after installing this unit AND a separate voltmeter at the same time (I'm sure there's an award somewhere for installing 2 voltmeters in one car on the same day).
Old 06-13-2020, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #226 (permalink)

82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
Yep. I have that head unit currently. And it works great but looks a bit too modern for the car. I love the in-gauge idea. When I restore my gauges maybe I’ll work that in.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #227 (permalink)
Registered

Update: Got my radios (and got them quickly, at that). Aside from some wire cleanup, the unit is in place and fully functional.

Pro tip -- You should definitely use the frame that comes with this radio. The PO had a new(er) Blaupunkt radio installed and the frame wouldn't hold this unit properly.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #228 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myami View Post
Update: Got my radios (and got them quickly, at that). Aside from some wire cleanup, the unit is in place and fully functional.

Pro tip -- You should definitely use the frame that comes with this radio. The PO had a new(er) Blaupunkt radio installed and the frame wouldn't hold this unit properly.

You hook up the dim “orange” wire? If so where?

I’m thinking of tapping into the logo fan light.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #229 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
You hook up the dim “orange” wire? If so where?

I’m thinking of tapping into the logo fan light.
Fortunately, the PO's prior harness plugged right up. No wiring work was needed.

What does the dim orange wire do?
Old 06-25-2020, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #230 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myami View Post
Fortunately, the PO's prior harness plugged right up. No wiring work was needed.

What does the dim orange wire do?
Night dimming. Needs 12v on dimmable circuit. You can set a night mode, then when you turn on you head lights, it dims to that.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #231 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeRebel View Post
I recently installed an Alpine KTP-445U power amp to a legacy Blaupunkt Reno SQR 46 to drive 4-channel Focal speakers and am very pleased with the results. The review in the link is on point with some very good tips. The noise suppression of this amp is excellent which is key especially for older 911s and I found the use of twisted pair interconnects for common mode noise rejection really works.

It's small and runs cool enough to be hidden anywhere behind the dash. This set up allowed me to keep everything looking stock and period correct while being able listen to a good sound system
Thanks for the suggestion. This was exactly what I was looking for. Keeps the stock look but still provides enough power for those rare days when the wife and complains she can't hear the music.

I'm going to Bestbuy to pick one up tomorrow.

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't see your response until today.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #232 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Installed the radio yesterday.

ORIGINAL RADIO

I ordered two harness adapters from Bergvillfx but I had to swap the red/yellow wires for the power. the bergvillfx one is for the continental radio which oddly has them backwards compared to the standard ISO pin assignments.

CORRECT PIN ASSIGNMENTS

Notice how the red and yellow wires are swapped on the ISO side.

FIXED:

took off the electrical tape and cleaned the wires. used some cloth tape to rewrap the original harness.

Changed the lighting to match the original. I didn't connect the orange wire. Not too concerned about night dimming.

Impressions:
Looks GREAT. Sounds good considering I haven't changed the speakers.
Menu was relatively easy to navigate without reading the manual. Not super intuitive but I am a techie...so it didn't bother me.

Gripes:
takes a few secs to turn on / start playing the radio. swapping stations takes a secs. so if you browse diff stations constantly, it can get annoying.
the balance/bass/treble knobs have no stopping point. they rotate fully. so visually you can't tell what they are set at.
the clock in 12 hour format is harder to read. for ex it shows it as PM 09:20.
instead of 9:20 PM.

I am most likely going to get new speakers, a small sub and an amp. there's just no bass/impact at all with my current setup.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #233 (permalink)
Registered

I’ve found that if you turn off the unit, before the car, it stays on the last setting ie. Bluetooth.
Eliminates having to do the 6 presses to get there. Now I just have to train myself to turn it off before the car!
2013 Cayenne GTS Meteor Grey
2003 Boxster S
Old 08-22-2020, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #234 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
New Blaupunkt Black Radio Avail 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajan View Post
Installed the radio yesterday.

ORIGINAL RADIO

I ordered two harness adapters from Bergvillfx but I had to swap the red/yellow wires for the power. the bergvillfx one is for the continental radio which oddly has them backwards compared to the standard ISO pin assignments.

Changed the lighting to match the original. I didn't connect the orange wire. Not too concerned about night dimming.

Impressions:
Looks GREAT. Sounds good considering I haven't changed the speakers.
Menu was relatively easy to navigate without reading the manual. Not super intuitive but I am a techie...so it didn't bother me.

Gripes:
takes a few secs to turn on / start playing the radio. swapping stations takes a secs. so if you browse diff stations constantly, it can get annoying.
the balance/bass/treble knobs have no stopping point. they rotate fully. so visually you can't tell what they are set at.
the clock in 12 hour format is harder to read. for ex it shows it as PM 09:20.
instead of 9:20 PM.

I am most likely going to get new speakers, a small sub and an amp. there's just no bass/impact at all with my current setup.

Great information. I recently added Focal speakers and an Alpine 8” powered sub for under passenger seat.

The system now sounds great with the exception that I have no AM or FM stations, but my previous Alpine stereo didn’t have those either.

I suspect it has something to do with when the previous owner updated the radio he removed the amplifier for the windshield antenna. Does anyone know how to fix this? I bought a $10 antenna booster off Amazon and now I get one FM station which plays the worst music ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cpg123; 08-26-2020 at 09:40 PM..
Old 08-26-2020, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #235 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: