Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cool! luckily it atleast had a roof overhead that does make a world of difference
Old 08-25-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Amazing save! Gratz! And sports seats to boot!

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 08-25-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Man, I wish my car looked that good after I cleaned it off after I got it. It actually looked worse.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
very nice. looks like how i found mine, I spent 250$ a month on parts for a year and got it reliable
your paint is better and those seats!! congrats
Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Armin

Garage
Looks beautiful. Looks like you found yourself a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2018, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Congrats. Another item is checking out what the mice did to the electricals during those ten years. After you get it sorted out, you'll have a really nice car.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Porsche rescue.

Yes it was looking a bit organic. But you sure do have it looking good now. Good score.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
A good cleaning allways tripples the worth!
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 08-26-2018, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Wow...great post, thanks!
Old 08-26-2018, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Staaten von Amerika

Garage
What a cool find and recovery. The paint is amazing and the condition of the body and interior - all the lines look straight, the door cars and pockets look as new. Any photos of the engine?. Good luck with any mechanical needs. Your crew looks pretty happy about it,too!
Old 08-26-2018, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Very nice. Hard to believe it turned out that beautiful.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Sports seats too!

Awesome save.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful! What a transformation. Very nice find.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Thanks for all the kind words guys. A little more cleaning today. And a little Vaseline on the wheels. Hadnít done it in years and it seems to be more effective than I remembered.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Engine pics

Old 08-26-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Yep and +1 on Fuchs and Vaseline! OCD but like to hit them after more spirited drives
Old 08-26-2018, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Very nice find and save. Like many of us, it cleans up well

Ah, the dreams, aspirations, sweat and reality of a new project. Looking forward to updates as you plug away and the excel spread sheet grows........
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 08-27-2018, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Regarding the sad state in which is was found, I wonder what it looks like unter the fan shroud and inside the exhaust.

I presume you drop the engine to adress all necessary before even envisaging to start it?!

You may as well remove the fan right now as a sport... just do discover mice nests under the shroud.
they may burn and block cooling air to cylinders. very bad!!
But I guess you already read all that here in the forum...
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 08-27-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
Regarding the sad state in which is was found, I wonder what it looks like unter the fan shroud and inside the exhaust.

I presume you drop the engine to adress all necessary before even envisaging to start it?!

You may as well remove the fan right now as a sport... just do discover mice nests under the shroud.
they may burn and block cooling air to cylinders. very bad!!
But I guess you already read all that here in the forum...
yeah....for sure, right? I would never attempted to simply drain the oil, pull the plugs, lube the cylinders, turn it over by hand, and then replace and try to start a engine that has been sitting on dirt/leaves for almost 10 years...especially a porsche engine....

I believe pulling the engine/trans is the first order of business. Pull the exhaust and inspect the exhaust valve condition(s) and replace the exhaust. Pull the valve covers and inspect everything. Pull the full intake. Clean the top of the engine off. Inspect intake valves. Rebuild intake. Rebuild all fuel lines. New regulator & accumulator. Triangle of death gaskets. Replace oil cooler seals. New plugs, cap, and rotor. Replace flywheel sensors. Replace rear & front seals. Pull timing chain covers, and inspect/test tensioners minimum. Replace soft cam tower/tensioner oil lines.

Pull and clean oil tank, front cooler & lines. Rebuild thermostat. Replace oil cooler soft lines. Replace oil feed hose (bottom of tank) minimum.

Drain, pull, and clean the fuel tank. Replace All soft fuel lines. Blow out tunnel fuel lines. At least test fuel pump. Probably replace.

All this before I would even attempt to start. This would also include a clutch kit and flywheel refurb..."WYIT"...and that is just to start.

I am looking for additional feedback here guys....anything I left out? Any of all this seem unnecessary?

Last edited by chrisf; 08-27-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Old 08-27-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, incredible how well Crusty cleaned up!

You mentioned it was just a few miles from you and it took you a few years to speak to the owner. Have you been driving by and noticed it, and just didn't manage to catch the owner until recently? Or have you been talking to him for a while and finally managed to talk him into letting it go?

It just amazes me that a dead battery can lead to a car sitting for 10 years!!! I've owned mine for just a year, and a broken head stud led to a huge amount of work (should be getting it back in a week or two). That I can see someone saying - nope, can't do this now, it has to sit until I can afford it / get to it / whatever. But a dead battery? Maybe there were other issues and that was the straw that broke the camel's back...

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed. It's a beauty!
Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: