Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1981 911SC

Garage
Cam Regrinds vs. New Billet Longevity

I'm in the middle of my rebuild on a 911sc (930/16 motor) and am considering my cam options. Most of this topic has been covered extensively, but I'm getting conflicting advice on one point and want more opinions:

Do reground original cams (say, to a 964 or slightly more aggressive profile) pose significant longevity risks due to the grinding process when compared to new billet cams?

Does anyone have experience one way or another with having Elgin regrind your cams to a new profile (which does not involve welding or rehardening, just polish and parkerizing), either that they showed excessive wear early or have gone 100k+ and still look new?

Elgin claims the 911sc cams are hardened to a depth of 2mm+ and that a regrind does not affect the hardness/longevity of the cam at all. Another well-respected engine builder says "baloney, they will fail significantly earlier than a new billet webcam". Who is right?

All opinions appreciated, as always

Old 08-31-2018, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
20/21 , 911sc , cams , elgin , webcam