Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
77 Targa PROJECT

Hi all! After a few years sans Porsche, a friend and I recently acquired a pair of long neglected 911s. Of these, a 1977 911 Targa is to be mine.

A couple pics posted. Yes, I realize this old girl is going to be an awful lot of work, and most would sell or part her out. And yes, the price was extremely low. However, since my last (and first) 911 burned our house down, I'm fortunate to have another and I plan to hang onto it. The restoration is likely to take multiple years, and that's okay. I'm not a certified Porsche mechanic by any stretch, but it's not my first rodeo either. Hence the word PROJECT being in all caps.

On the positive side, as I'm told, this car was in good driving condition when it was last parked. Unfortunately that was about 20 years ago.

Some backdating (bumpers) and a top to bottom restomod are in order.

Anyway, just wanted to share with the group. I'll do my best to post pics as we go along.

Any recommendations or questions, please share!

All the best!

Last edited by cfassett; 09-03-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
pic1

Old 09-03-2018, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Designer King

Take lots of pics/vids. There are many people on this BB who will help you. Good luck!
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.5:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rod ends; Bilstein HDs; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 09-03-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome, very cool project. Many "moments of truth" await you as you find the real condition of the body and mechanical bits. But anything can be fixed. Best of luck to you. John in CT.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yup it’s no secret it’s a project. Pick out a name for her yet? step one: remove that ridiculous tail. Welcome!

'75 911s Targa
Old 09-03-2018, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How did your last 911 burn down your house?!?!

In Australia 'cheap' 911's are pretty much non-existant, even in that state. So it's fair to say if I had of seen that here, i would have purchased it - as would many other people. Looking forward to seeing you turn crusty into awesome!
Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you guys! Long story short on that one, finished the restoration, drove it a bit, and seems like an electrical fire under the dash started the blaze. Thank God, literally, for the voice that told me to turn around and check on the car. Got the kids and dog out of the house in time.

Quick update on the project, a friend and I got the front seats out last weekend. Kind of shocking, the seats were rusted to the point that parts of the frame were no longer there. But, the bolts holding them to the brackets came out easily, and the brackets are virtually rust free.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
seat pics

I'll get some pics up tonight.

Last edited by cfassett; 09-11-2018 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: pics
Old 09-11-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
One other big positive, I put a wrench on the engine, and it turned over easily. Even moved the car forward when popped in gear! Now, need to get the ignition cylinder freed up along with the pedal assembly.

Allaircooled, I agree on the whale tail. working on that too. Those things worth anything? It's not coming off easily, due to the wood screw and bracket install. a cutoff wheel would be easier.

No name yet.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
One note, if anyone in the southeast US has a set of 16" fuchs wheels for these cars and wants to trade for 15s, please let me know.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
great color combo to rebuild. nice
Old 09-12-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
911 Mania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfassett View Post
One note, if anyone in the southeast US has a set of 16" fuchs wheels for these cars and wants to trade for 15s, please let me know.

I have a 76S Targa and suggest 944 Turbo (951) 16 inch Fuchs wheels, 7ís and 8ís or can go with all four 7ís with a rear spacer so can rotate the tires. They have a 23.3 offset and the extra inch is added to the inside of the wheel so it doesnít stick out beyond the wheel lip.

Following your project, good luck. Donít see many black/red interiors. Like the unique combo.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Black targas with red interiors are cool...
Just look at my garage to see why I think so...

Last edited by timmy2; 09-12-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaircooled View Post
Yup itís no secret itís a project. Pick out a name for her yet? step one: remove that ridiculous tail. Welcome!
Giving a car a name is more ridiculous than that tail will ever be. But if you must name it, how about Randy Moss or mossback mule band.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
Giving a car a name is more ridiculous than that tail will ever be. But if you must name it, how about Randy Moss or mossback mule band.
I was joking. Didn’t name mine either. And who is Randy Moss?

'75 911s Targa

Last edited by allaircooled; 09-13-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Seats from a '98 Buick Regal?
Ö...Didn't think that was possible.

Bill K
Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure about the Buick Regal seats, but bring them by and we'll give it a shot!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
You know you have a problem when... hurricane outside and you're by the shed working on this ragged 911. Got the AC compressor and condenser out today, and the tea tray spoiler cam off a couple days ago.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
The worst section is where the pedal cluster was, once upon a time. This is the only place I e found that has anything beyond surface rust (knock on wood), and it is GONE.

First significant investment will be in a new pedal cluster so we can try to get this thing to fire up.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage

Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: