Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Odyssey 925

Just had a 9 month old Odyssey go DOA, 5.4 volts this morning. Car is a garage queen however I do put it on a high tech trickle charger every couple of weeks if not driving much. Anyone had problems with these batteries. Brought it online sent company a message today would not think warranty will be an issue
Old 09-09-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've owned five Odysseys used in several different vehicles over the last 15 years, two have failed quite early in their lives. Both times I was told that it was doubtful that the battery was at fault because of the stringent quality control and testing done by Odyssey. Both times they did end up being bad and were replaced at no cost to me under warranty. The last one that died was purchased direct from Odyssey and was a pain to get replaced. They suggested buying from a third party vendor for easier warranty service. I did get almost 13 years out of one though.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The type of charger you use with Odyssey's in essential. The first one I had, over twenty years ago failed due to the charger, an old tech Schumacher. Since then I have used the Odyssey brand charger. The oldest battery I have now is over 12 years. The charger type must be matched to the type of battery. These chargers are designed for the Odyssey dry cell and will work on any AGM battery. I am not sure if there is another type charger that is appropriate for the dry cell.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal16 View Post
The type of charger you use with Odyssey's in essential.
^
This is very true. Just switched my stock battery to an Odyssey. I leave on this trickle charger anytime I am not driving it.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I had an Odyssey 925 for 7 years in a car. Car got totaled, battery was fine.
'77 911s - Peru red IROC Clone
'89 964 C4 - Guards red
Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yes I kept on a new Schumacher trickle charge when not driving car I saw an Odyssey OS 6a unit for reasonable on Amazon Think 6 amp is enough for Just maintenance on a battery Oh it looks like they are going to replace under warranty had to send them a pic of battery on auto zone tester
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macssc911 View Post
Yes I kept on a new Schumacher trickle charge when not driving car I saw an Odyssey OS 6a unit for reasonable on Amazon Think 6 amp is enough for Just maintenance on a battery Oh it looks like they are going to replace under warranty had to send them a pic of battery on auto zone tester
The 6amp will not work for a 925. The odyssey site has the specifics for each battery.

Here is the link: ODYSSEY battery - Ultimizer

I have the Ultimizer 25 amp and I can use it for any battery. As a matter of fact my hot rod neighbors all come over if they need a big boost to cure their Corvette or Mustang dead battery. I highly recommend this charger. The cost is about $155 USD.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here is a link to the 25 AMP: https://www.amazon.com/ODYSSEY-OBC-12A-Odyssey-Portable-Charger/dp/B01CGJH8NO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536788348&sr=8-5&keywords=odyssey+battery+charger
Old 09-12-2018, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Danimal
Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macssc911 View Post
Thanks Danimal
You are most welcome.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: