Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Deciphering my COA... sport seats? tail?

Morning all,

Picked up an 80 SC a few weeks ago from a local PCA member. There wasn't much history on the car nor records and although the seller owned the car for 14 years, his knowledge was a bit light.

The day I bought it I ordered a COA from Porsche and it arrived yesterday. It's attached.

It says I should have sport seats, no? And no mention of a "rear spoiler", so curious if the car was an original no tail car? Pics attached of those items.

Thanks for any insight. - Josh

Old 09-12-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Although many COAs are inaccurate, I have found them to be spot-on when it comes to sports seats.

How many previous owners? Do you have the info to contact them?

Tails were a popular aftermarket addition in the 80s and 90s- even today owners love them or hate them. Sports seats often had worn edges and they are heavy- easy replacement which is probably what happened to your car. The correct sport seats are often for sale- pick up a correct set for your car.

Enjoy your new car!!

Last edited by speedster911; 09-12-2018 at 08:34 AM..
Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

COA are known to not be 100% accurate. Sport seats could have been swapped out and spoiler added as well.

My COA on my 1978 SC was actually spot on but others have found inconsistencies with them over the years.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Hi Josh,

it is not uncommon for these cars to have been modified and/or canabalized through the years. Bolting on "tea tray" tails (aka "turbo spoiler") was a very common modification. People are still doing it to this day. More than likely the sport seats were sold/re-purposed by one of the PO's. They are pretty desirable. Probably a bunch of other non-original parts on the car too. Don't sweat it. As long as it runs and stops, just drive it and enjoy it.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Seat info - hope it helps

Old 09-12-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster911 View Post
Although many COAs are inaccurate, I have found them to be spot-on when it comes to sports seats.

How many previous owners? Do you have the info to contact them?

Tails were a popular aftermarket addition in the 80s and 90s- even today owners love them or hate them. Sports seats often had worn edges and they are heavy- easy replacement which is probably what happened to your car. The correct sport seats are often for sale- pick up a correct set for your car.

Enjoy your new car!!
I bought it from an Allen Rodgers in Ohio. He owned it for 14 years and previous owner was Craig L Manner from Georgia, currently living in North Carolina from what I found. Couldn't find a good number or email for him. And the car doesn't have a 17 digit VIN so couldn't run a Carfax.

So sounds like the car did have Sport Seats that were replaced for one reason or another?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
Hi Josh,

it is not uncommon for these cars to have been modified and/or canabalized through the years. Bolting on "tea tray" tails (aka "turbo spoiler") was a very common modification. People are still doing it to this day. More than likely the sport seats were sold/re-purposed by one of the PO's. They are pretty desirable. Probably a bunch of other non-original parts on the car too. Don't sweat it. As long as it runs and stops, just drive it and enjoy it.
I like the tail and am not trying to necessarily make it 100% original, but just curious as to the history.

Is the current tail that one that would have came on a 1980 had it been ordered with one? Or is this the turbo spoiler you are speaking of? Making it 100% for sure not original even if the COA says it didn't have one?

Thanks all!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann2380 View Post
I like the tail and am not trying to necessarily make it 100% original, but just curious as to the history.

Is the current tail that one that would have came on a 1980 had it been ordered with one? Or is this the turbo spoiler you are speaking of? Making it 100% for sure not original even if the COA says it didn't have one?

Thanks all!
Yes, the tail is correct for that year if they came from the factory. Same tail "tea tray" as the turbos of the same era.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here's my factory ordered tail on my 82 for reference.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster911 View Post
Sports seats often had worn edges and they are heavy-
I haven't seen a summary of the relative weight comparo.

Here's my stab at it for the G series. I'm quite sure the 81-84 sports seats are lighter than the motorized 85-89 seats or the older 74-80 sport seats. The standard seats are just a guess.

Lightest
81-84 Sport
81-84 Standard

74-80 Sport
74-80 Standard

85-89 Standard
85-89 Sport
Heaviest
Old 09-12-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: