Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hard Fuel Line Tunnel Grommet Instl- 69 911e

Does anyone have clues on how to get the forward tunnel grommet installed on an early 911 with the hard stainless tunnel fuel lines? I got the rear grommets in without too much trouble, but the lines coming out the front of the tunnel aren't perpendicular to the flange where it goes through the hole and there's no room to get the rubber grommet in. I'm considering trying to put a bend in the line inside the tunnel to try to get the fuel line square with the hole (if that's even possible) but I'm not sure that's the right path or whether the lines should have already been shaped like that.

From underneath

Inside the tunnel
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Tim,

I think that is your best solution (bend the line slightly). It won't take much at all to get that tube centered allowing room for the grommet. I installed hard lines in my 914 and it took some "tweeking" to get everything to lay just right for fittings and such. Once done it will last a lifetime. Of course it is mandatory to post pictures when completed (and of your car)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Water soluble lube - I kid you not.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Alcohol works great too, makes the rubber slippery albeit dries pretty quick.
2015.5 Volvo XC60 (foul weather ride)
2007 Volvo XC70 (winter pig)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'll give that a shot but I think I'm going to at least have to bend the tube a little. As it is one side is hard against the side of the hole through the bulkhead- it's a clearance issue as much as a friction issue.
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 09-13-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It took me a while to get back to the post, but I did get the grommets in. It took a combination of the suggestions- pulling the fuel lines out a little and bending them to get them more perpendicular to the flange, lubing them up good and cutting down the end of the grommets in order to get them started in the hole.

I apologize for the poorly focused shots, but I didn't realize at the time the camera chose to focus on the workbench top.

Started by slipping the grommets over an auger bit that happened to have a shaft size that the grommet fit on, chucking it up in the cordless an filing down the end to a taper

Resulting in something like this in comparison to the original (again out of focus, but you can at least see the shape)

Pulling the fuel lines out a few inches, rotating them 180 so I could get a bender on them and then giving them a little tweak

Then lubing it all up and poking and shoving it all back in the hole

Yippee

Side question- the spring clip on the bushing around the brake line isn't tight at all- and I had both the original and a few new one and they're all loose. Is it supposed to be that way? It obviously won't fall off or let the bushing come off, but I'd expected it to be tighter (and have no recollection of how it fit when I took it off some time back)
'06 Mini Cooper S

Restoring Jewel's 911e
Old 10-09-2018, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: